Author Topic: Uh Oh - Shots Fired @ Virginia Tech  (Read 5333 times)

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Uh Oh - Shots Fired @ Virginia Tech
« on: December 08, 2011, 01:02:43 PM »
Seems to be in a parking lot with multiple shots fired.

Cops seem to be looking for a shooter according to MSNBC - nothing on Interwebz yet.

Alerts already sent to students.

ETA - Seems to be the result of an on-campus traffic stop according to Feds.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: Uh Oh - Shots Fired @ Virginia Tech
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 01:08:43 PM »
This is a fabricated story. guns are not allowed on campus. This is some fabrication
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 01:37:28 PM »
No kidding - and they have still not learned.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 01:48:10 PM »
In fact, a year or two back, a Virgina Tech spokesman was bragging about how safe the campus was since they'd defeated a proposed law that would have allowed licensed people to carry concealed weapons there -

Here's a video that shows how "gun free zones" enhance safety:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7pGt_O1uM8
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 02:16:09 PM »
 :facepalm:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 02:36:16 PM »
Don't get me wrong, the shooting is a tragedy... but the way the media is treating it is  [barf].

Fox news is SHOOTING A VIRGINIA TECH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, it was a traffic stop shooting.  Those happen from time to time.  It is not Columbine or Virginia Tech redoux.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 02:40:40 PM »
There are at least two dead, one being a police officer.

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 03:22:06 PM »
Please oh please let the gun used be traced back to Fast and Furious.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 03:28:28 PM »
Glad that it is not on the level of 2007.
Still there is no understanding that the campus gun ban has helped nobody at all....except the bad guys.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 03:50:18 PM »
[insert typical pro-gun or anti-gun talking point here]

Having gotten the above out of the way...

... the reality of the situation is that 2 people are shot.  One of them a protector, another a protectee.  And it has nothing to do with disarmament, because we don't have cattle slaughter chutes classrooms and academic hallways as the area of operation.  Bad traffic stop, officer down, and somebody else involved also as a bystander.

I'm not going to say that police can't protect everyone all the time.

I'm not going to say that the bystander would be okay if he/she had his/her own gun.

I am going to say that an (apparent) bad guy out-gunned an (apparent) good guy.  Assuming the cop is the good guy (as is 99% likely), that's a tragedy.  Since there appears to be an unrelated bystander also shot, that reinforces the likelihood of the shooter being a bad guy.

And all of this had nothing to do with school policies towards guns.  This is identical to any other traffic stop elsewhere in VA or the rest of the US with CCW permits.  At any given time, there's about a 5% likelihood of a CCW permitee being present.  And less than that, of that permitee having his weapon with him.

Just a sad reminder that bad guys get the jump on good guys and come out on top, sometimes.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 04:18:55 PM »
Having gotten the above out of the way...

But it happened at Va Tech! :O [tinfoil] :'(

Don't you understand that ever since 2007 it has been the Ground Zero of shootings?  It's the Holy Icon of puritude and all that is holey [sic] about GUNZ  [ar15] R BAD.

It's not about who was involved, or why.  It's about where it happened again.

Don't you logical people unnerstan'? :facepalm:

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 06:34:32 PM »
Now being reported that the gunman is the other fatality.  Be nice to have some real details and not a bunch of wild speculation.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 11:13:09 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/12/08/shots-fired-at-virginia-techs-campus-gunman-sought/?test=latestnews

This VA shooting is weird. 

Salient points:
-Cop initiates traffic stop.
-Random stranger comes up to cop, not related to traffic stop.  Shoots cop.
-Stranger flees.
-Stranger changes clothing.
-Stranger apparently shoots self in nearby parking lot.
-Police refuse to release name of Stranger, but confirm he is not a student at VA Tech.

Possibly the shooter has a muslim name?  Terrorism connection?  The suicide is self-martyrdom after the attack?

Completely unprovoked, even if taking mental instability into consideration.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 08:34:02 PM »
Guy stole an SUV at gunpoint earlier in the day.  No clue why he chose to engage the cop at the traffic stop (he wasn't the driver).

Other cop started to follow him, lost him and then found him dead, so maybe the second cop triggered the suicide?

Which is typical in these things.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 09:19:49 PM »
Guy stole an SUV at gunpoint earlier in the day.

For want of an armed citizen, a cop was lost.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2011, 06:41:15 AM »
For want of an armed citizen, a cop was lost.

From a source that's getting a little bit of inside info - the cop had no time to react (busy doing cop stuff inside the unmarked cruiser) and nobody outside would have been able to do anything until after the cop was shot.

Also - all sorts of speculation on the motives of the shooter went down the drain when his identity was revealed.  Conspiracy theorists are sooo sad.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2011, 10:31:05 AM »
From a source that's getting a little bit of inside info - the cop had no time to react (busy doing cop stuff inside the unmarked cruiser) and nobody outside would have been able to do anything until after the cop was shot.

Also - all sorts of speculation on the motives of the shooter went down the drain when his identity was revealed.  Conspiracy theorists are sooo sad.

stay safe.

Repeat: Guy stole an SUV at gunpoint earlier in the day.

SUV owner/driver should have been armed.  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2011, 12:21:14 PM »
I was reading that the shooter is a 22 year old business student at another local college.  This was apparently uncharacteristic behavior for him. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2011, 12:39:30 PM »
OK, there is something wrong here.  22-year old with NO social medial presence, nobody at Va Tech or Radford seems to know who he is, nobody in either town recalls who he is/where he worked.

He's as elusive as Obama's classmates, except we know where his body is.

Anybody with better tin foil than me want to speculate?

stay safe.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2011, 12:40:52 PM »
OK, there is something wrong here.  22-year old with NO social medial presence, nobody at Va Tech or Radford seems to know who he is, nobody in either town recalls who he is/where he worked.

He's as elusive as Obama's classmates, except we know where his body is.

Anybody with better tin foil than me want to speculate?

stay safe.

Maybe he just watched a Fruity Oaty bar commercial ???