Author Topic: The vast right wing conspiracy lives on!!  (Read 1881 times)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
The vast right wing conspiracy lives on!!
« on: September 24, 2006, 03:09:50 PM »
Ex Prez Billy Jeff Clinton did an interview on Fox News this morning.  The interviewer, Chris Wallace, asked Clinton the question that millions of us have wbeen wating for someone to ask:  Why didn't Clinton go after bin Laden and Al Queda after their repeated attacks against the US throughout the '90s?

Clinton blew a gasket.

He accused Wallace of staging a right wing hit job.  He said there was some sort of right wing misinformation capaign going on.  He said he wanted to go after bin Laden, but the FBI and CIA wouldn't let him.  He said he wanted to go into Afghanistan and take down the Taliban, but he couldn't because he didn't have access to refueling bases.  He said he didn't turn tail and flee Somalia after Black Hawk Down, and that bin Laden is wrong when he says that he saw that as a sign of weakness.  He said he wanted to go after bin Laden and Al Queda many times, but "the right neo-cons" wouldn't let him.

The entire interview will be re-aired tonight at 10:00.  At this moment I sorely regret not having a TV in the house.  

A transcript of the interview is available on Fox News' website...
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,215397,00.html

...and an interview of the interviewer, Chris Wallace.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,215445,00.html

Anyway, if you have even the slightest interest in politics (and have cable) then you owe it to yourself to watch this interview tonight.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 03:23:28 PM »
Lots of channels have been talking about this interview.  I plan on watching it.  Might even DVR it for future heckling.

He had his chance, several times and didn't do anything but launch a few cruise missles at an abandoned training camp.  I say he's mostly to blame for 9-11 due to his weakness.  

Other thoughts may vary and I'm sure they will but that's how I feel and no one is going to change it.  

Bill was great for the economy but not for national defense!

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 03:26:13 PM »
Quote from: Lennyjoe
Lots of channels have been talking about this interview.  I plan on watching it.  Might even DVR it for future heckling.
Any possibility of posting your DVR recording online for me to watch?

Lee

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 03:30:21 PM »
How dare Mr. Wallace ask him a question the whole county wants to know the answer to.  Clinton is used to adoring press members helpin a brother out.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 03:31:18 PM »
They must think they're going to win.  They've got the LiberalMedia cranking up the revisionism.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 03:39:56 PM »
Quote from: Silver Bullet
They must think they're going to win.  They've got the LiberalMedia cranking up the revisionism.
Who do you mean by "they"?

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006, 04:32:06 PM »
you know, "they"!

Toothless Hippies Elderly Yippies.

You really have to re read yer vast right wing conspiracy handbook!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006, 04:40:18 PM »
Bill was great for the economy but not for national defense!
Actually, he was too bogged down in scandals to do much damage to the national economy with additional taxes. Less government is always better government.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2006, 05:45:36 PM »
Several years ago I read an article (sorry, I don't remember where) written by an economist that made the case that things that presidents do, in conjuction with the congress, that could have an impact on the economy has a lag time of about 7years.

If what I was reading was accurate, then the economy that Clinton is given credit for, actually was seeded during the regime of Ronald Reagan.  The slowdown in the economy, using the same theory, is actually Clinton's legacy; brought about by his huge tax increases.  Plus, a good deal of the so called "good times" of the mid to late 90's was artifice propped up by disingenouos bookeeping by some of our huge corporations.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2006, 05:56:10 PM »
While Clinton is hardly a sympathetic character here, I will say in his defense that the country's mentality at the time was not prepared for the kind of wars we are fighting now.  I don't think Clinton commanded enough respect, esp from the military, to wage the fight that Bush is.  He also squandered the military on useless missions in Somalia and Bosnia.  A fight against Afghanistan would have been seen as just another adventure in nation-building.
That said, his "law enforcement strategy" which the Dems still push, was a disaster and led directly to 9/11.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2006, 06:26:15 PM »
Quote from: The Rabbi
While Clinton is hardly a sympathetic character here, I will say in his defense that the country's mentality at the time was not prepared for the kind of wars we are fighting now.  I don't think Clinton commanded enough respect, esp from the military, to wage the fight that Bush is.  He also squandered the military on useless missions in Somalia and Bosnia.  A fight against Afghanistan would have been seen as just another adventure in nation-building.
That said, his "law enforcement strategy" which the Dems still push, was a disaster and led directly to 9/11.
While I'm an ultra-conservative, politically speaking, and not a fan of Clinton (although I don't believe him the personal evil that some of the republican demagogues made him out to be), I agree with the Rabbi here in that (I think) what he's saying is that in hindsight we (all of us, citizens, congress, and presidential administrations) were wrong in our thinking regarding islamo-facism for long before Clinton and up until 9/11 (and after). I think that all of the presidential administrations at least from 1968 forward can be blamed equally.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2006, 06:35:37 PM »
I wouldnt say that exactly.  I do think Clinton could have done much much more.  Part of his failure was not seeing terrorist acts for what they were, acts of war, and not criminal deeds.
I don't think Clinton had the moral authority to pursue a serious war on terror.  He hardly the authority to do anything, which is part of why the economy did well.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2006, 07:59:12 PM »
Quote from: Stand_watie
Quote from: The Rabbi
While I'm an ultra-conservative, politically speaking, and not a fan of Clinton (although I don't believe him the personal evil that some of the republican demagogues made him out to be), I agree with the Rabbi here in that (I think) what he's saying is that in hindsight we (all of us, citizens, congress, and presidential administrations) were wrong in our thinking regarding islamo-facism for long before Clinton and up until 9/11 (and after). I think that all of the presidential administrations at least from 1968 forward can be blamed equally.
None of our presidents are ever perfect, but Clinton stands out as an egregious example of gross negligence when it came to handling terrorism and national security.  His conspicuous reluctance to defend the United States against repeated acts of war committed by bin Laden and Al Queda led very directly to the death of some 3,000 Americans on 9-11-06.  

Many of us were NOT wrong about our thinking regarding islamo-fascism during the 1990's.  Many of us demanded a response to the first attempt by bin Laden to bring down the WTC tower in 1993 - all Clinton did was arrest four clerics.  Many of us were furious when Clinton sent troops into Somalia, then even more furious when he declared our weekness to the world by tucking tail between legs and fleeing at the first sign of opposition.  Many of us demanded a response to the murder of our servicemen in 1996 in the Kobar Towers thing- Clinton did nothing.  Many of us demanded a real response to bin Laden's attack on our embassies in 1998 - Clinton fired a cruise missile at an aspirin factory (and even that pathetic response looked more like a PR diversion from the the Lewinski mess than a like a true commitment to defend the US).  Many of us demanded a response to bin Laden's attack against the USS Cole in 2000 - Clinton again chose to do nothing.

By the time Clinton left office, the message was clear: bin Laden or anyone else was free attack the United states with impunity.  The message was heeded well by bin Laden and al Queda, who didn't hesitate to attack us over and over again throughout the '90s.  

Bin Laden held his pattern of attacks after Clinton left office, unleashing yet another attack (9-11) less than a year after his previous attack (USS Cole).  Yet this time there was a real man in the White House, George W Bush.  Unlike Clinton, Bush DID respond properly to this act of war, by unleashing a massive counterattack against bin Laden and his allies/supporters/sponsers/harborers.  This new messasge was equally clear:  you may NOT attack the US with impunity.  This message was also heeded well by bin Laden, who hasn't dared to attack the US again.

Do you really think it's a coincidence that bin Laden attacked bi-yearly while Clinton was in office, yet only attacked once while Bush was in office?  Bin Laden may be a psychopath, but he's no fool...

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2006, 08:07:56 PM »
Quote from: Headless Thompson Gunner
Quote from: Silver Bullet
Who do you mean by "they"?
I was referring to the leftists.

I haven't heard much about the VRWC in the last few years.  The leftists have been on the defensive since 2000.  This attempt by Clinton to run The Big Lie up the flag pole again strikes me as coming from a party that thinks they're in the driver's seat again, at least in terms of controlling the dialog if not actually in control of the country.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2006, 08:36:14 PM »
This new messasge was equally clear:  you may NOT attack the US with impunity.  This message was also heeded well by bin Laden, who hasn't dared to attack the US again.

Do you really think it's a coincidence that bin Laden attacked bi-yearly while Clinton was in office, yet only attacked once while Bush was in office?  Bin Laden may be a psychopath, but he's no fool...
What do you mean he hasn't dared?  Hasn't succeeded seems more likely to me.  Even if we have no evidence of a serious, al-Qaeda attack in the US, how many failed attacks could still be classified info?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2006, 08:54:53 PM »
Quote from: fistful
This new messasge was equally clear:  you may NOT attack the US with impunity.  This message was also heeded well by bin Laden, who hasn't dared to attack the US again.

What do you mean he hasn't dared?  Hasn't succeeded seems more likely to me.  Even if we have no evidence of a serious, al-Qaeda attack in the US, how many failed attacks could still be classified info?
That's true.  It is possible that bin Laden has made one or more failed attempts to attack the US, which we haven't been told about.  

Regardless, my general point stands.  There has only been 1 attack during Bush's 6 years in office, which is a substantially better record than the 6 atacks during Clinton's 8 years (plus another 2 major domestic terror attacks).  Whatever Bush is doing, it's working.  Clinton is negligent for not doing the same thing.

Anyways, I'm glad someone had the sense to ask Clinton why he didn't bother to do anything about bin Laden back in the 1990's.  It's a worthy question, and I think it's implications need to be investigated.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2006, 03:58:17 AM »
FYI, Fox News has the entire 15 minutes up on their website. It is must see TV. Cheesy

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2006, 05:49:19 AM »
File under - "Why I'd never make it as a journalist":

When Clinton starts pointing his finger to emphasize the point he's making, I'd just blurt out,

"Hey, is that the finger you stuck in Monica?"

Interview over...
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2006, 06:04:51 AM »
The "questions" asked of Bush on a constant basis are at least 8 times that hostile, yet he seems to keep his cool much more than BillyBoy.  Half the time, they are accusations more than actual questions.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2006, 03:42:04 PM »
Touche AJ!  Smiley

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2006, 04:18:00 PM »
Wow.
He just flipped off on that guy and accused him of accusing him!
Crazy.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Ron

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2006, 03:43:02 AM »
If you have been around THR and APS long enough you would know I am not one of the Clinton bashers but...

This guy has a big problem taking responsibility for his own actions and is sleazy to a degree that is over the top.

He was great at "triangulation", compromise and making deals.

Even in times of (apparent) peace we cannot afford to have someone of low character with no clearly defined principles in charge.

To think he was Commander in Chief is just scary.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2006, 05:07:15 AM »
We get the leadership we deserve.

^^ Even scarier, IMO.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Vile Nylons

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2006, 10:23:09 AM »
I remember when Clinton was running the first time the media interviewed some dude down south where Clinton was from. They asked him what he though about Clinton. He said that the locals all called him "Slick Willie" and grinned. I didn't know what he meant back then. Interesting how we all know nowadays exactly what that meant.      Seems to me he's trying to rewrite history to defang the Republicans from being able to say the Democrats suck on national security.  The Republicans are going there [rightly] to make a good showing in the elections. He's just trying to neutralize that by saying he was as tough or tougher.  He's hopeing that the public is too lazy to check facts.   He's not as stupid as he pretends to be.  Pretty good acting I thought.