Author Topic: Got my CCNA...finally  (Read 848 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Got my CCNA...finally
« on: September 25, 2006, 10:28:53 AM »
After putting it off for years (long enough for them to drop IPX), I finally got around to taking the CCNA.  It was brutal, but I passed.  I finished with 10 minutes to spare.  What killed my time were the simulators.  I got four of those almost back to back.  What made it hard for me is that I don't work with any Cisco gear on a regular basis.  I haven't even logged into a Cisco router related to work in over 3 years.  Now I'm going to put away the Cisco books and resume preparing for the CISSP...

Chris

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Got my CCNA...finally
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 10:31:01 AM »
Well a big congrats to you! (even though I have no idea what you're talking about) Smiley
Avoid cliches like the plague!

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
Got my CCNA...finally
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 10:35:59 AM »
Congratulations!

Wow, they dropped IPX?  That was the main reason I wasn't bothering to spend the time on the thing.  Everything else in there is stuff I more or less do on a daily basis.  I might have to go look into certification again.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

client32

• friend
Got my CCNA...finally
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 10:55:27 AM »
Congrats.

I posted this on one of the troll threads, but since you are looking into the security stuff, here is a plug for what I did:  http://www.infosec.jmu.edu

You get a couple (maybe 5 by now) different certifications.

How badly did you need the course to get the test passed?
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

mtnbkr

• friend
Got my CCNA...finally
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 10:55:38 AM »
Thanks!

280, it's an IT/Networking related certification.  CCNA=Cisco Certified Network Associate.  

BP, they dropped IPX, but there's more switching than I recall from 7+ years ago.  While I didn't get any ISDN related questions, ISDN is still part of the exam for now.

Either way, this is a much harder test than it was years ago.  Used to be, you could read a couple books and pass the exam without ever touching hardware.  I've heard stories about CCNAs who had never configured a router.  

I'm debating whether or not I want to pursue the CCNP.  I probably will, but not until I get the CISSP out of the way.  That one is more in line with my long term career goals.

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
Got my CCNA...finally
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 11:04:33 AM »
Quote from: client32
Congrats.
I posted this on one of the troll threads, but since you are looking into the security stuff, here is a plug for what I did:  http://www.infosec.jmu.edu
You get a couple (maybe 5 by now) different certifications.
How badly did you need the course to get the test passed?
I remember that.

The class helped a lot.  Some of that stuff is just hard to grasp straight from a book.  In addition to the class, I spent the last week going back through my course materials AND spend all day Sunday running through exam simulators.  

Chris

Got my CCNA...finally
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 11:21:27 AM »
Congrats!

PM will be sent thru THR

Steve