Author Topic: RIP, Colonel Jeff Cooper  (Read 1789 times)

Preacherman

RIP, Colonel Jeff Cooper
« on: September 25, 2006, 04:21:22 PM »
I note with sadness the news of Colonel Cooper's passing . . . but it's not really sadness. More of a personal loss, and even that is temporary.

Friends,

At the request of the family it is my sad duty to report the passing of our founder, Jeff Cooper. Jeff died peacefully at home this afternoon while being cared for by his wife Janelle and daughter Lindy.

There will be a private internment at Gunsite by invitation, with a public memorial service at the Whittington Center at a date to be announced.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the family.

DVC,

Ed

Ed Head
Operations Manager
Gunsite Academy, Inc.
2900 W. Gunsite Rd.
Paulden, AZ 86334
ed@gunsite.com
www.gunsite.com
I've said before that the only reason I'm alive today is his teaching, even if at second- or third-hand. I guess a part of him lives on in me, and in everyone like me who's 'seen the elephant' and come out alive because of his teachings. The same goes for all those of us who haven't yet had to apply them the hard way, but are prepared to do so if needed.

The Colonel is not dead. His body is at peace, at last . . . but his soul lives on, both here on Earth in all of us who revered him, and, please God, in the happy hereafter, where he's doubtless looking at all the shootin' buddies who preceded him and asking them, "How the heck did YOU end up here?" (or words to that effect!). I also think with pleasure of the wartime comrades he's greeting again, and I trust the Heavenly beer is better stuff than the dishwater everyone complained about in WW2!

Don't mourn Colonel Cooper. Rejoice that he lived! Be happy that he has no more pain. May he keep open a place on the line for us! (I wonder if there's a Heavenly version of the Donga?)
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

RIP, Colonel Jeff Cooper
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 04:33:34 PM »
Preacherman,

Thank you for well written words of respect .

RIP, Colonel Jeff Cooper

Steve

Bob F.

• friend
RIP, Colonel Jeff Cooper
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 05:04:02 PM »
Well said, gentlemen.
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
RIP, Colonel Jeff Cooper
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 05:06:14 PM »
Wow...horrible news...
When did he pass?
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

...has left the building.

RIP, Colonel Jeff Cooper
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 05:21:52 PM »
May he rest in peace. The man's writings taught me not only about shooting, but about life and being a man. Forever missed.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
RIP, Colonel Jeff Cooper
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 05:27:40 PM »
"Let me die the death of the upright
may my death be like his."
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
RIP, Colonel Jeff Cooper
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 06:23:49 PM »
My sympathies to the Colonel's family. We are all diminished.

Great sentiment Preacherman. I have no doubt the Colonel is sitting high on a hill, scout rifle across his lap.

SpookyPistolero

• friend
RIP, Colonel Jeff Cooper
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 06:31:33 PM »
A man who truly lived his life. May we all taste the satisfaction of accomplishment as deeply as he did.

"Lo there do I see my father, Lo there do I see my mother and my sisters and my brothers. Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning. Lo, they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them in the halls of Valhalla. Where the brave may live forever."
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
RIP, Colonel Jeff Cooper
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 07:01:31 PM »
Sad

Leatherneck

• friend
RIP, Colonel Jeff Cooper
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 02:31:04 AM »
A legend has passed. Sad.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Chris

RIP, Colonel Jeff Cooper
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2006, 04:02:06 AM »
We are not so much diminished by his passing as we are enriched by his life and teaching.

"And when our work is done,
Our course on earth is run,
Let it be said "Well done;
Be thou at peace."

Be thou at peace, Colonel.  From a soldier to a Marine, Semper Fi.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
RIP, Colonel Jeff Cooper
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 05:01:40 AM »
Some folks talk about "making a difference."  Well, every time a good guy puts Cooper's concepts to work against a goblin and comes home to his family, THAT is a difference.

God bless him and his family.  We are richer for his living and poorer for his loss.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

matis

• friend
RIP, Colonel Jeff Cooper
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2006, 06:26:46 AM »
I appreciate his expertise in weaponry, his worldview and his eloquence in communicating them.

(You're no slouch yourself at communicating, Preacherman).

May his loved ones achieve comfort for their grief at his passing.

matis
Si vis pacem; para bellum.

HankB

• friend
RIP, Colonel Jeff Cooper
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2006, 06:27:28 AM »
I knew the man only through his writings.

Agree or disagree with Jeff Cooper, he always made it clear what his position was on issues from firearms to politics, and he was articulate in putting forth his opinions and observations. He had a way of saying things in print that encouraged people to think about the issue at hand.

He will be missed.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
RIP, Colonel Jeff Cooper
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2006, 07:08:06 AM »
Quote from: HankB
Agree or disagree with Jeff Cooper, he always made it clear what his position was on issues from firearms to politics, and he was articulate in putting forth his opinions and observations. He had a way of saying things in print that encouraged people to think about the issue at hand.
True.  I enjoyed that he consciously strove to guard his writing from the slop that has crept into the American vernacular in the past few decades and that he represented an earlier era.  He was a museum piece, and in a good way.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

garrettwc

• friend
RIP, Colonel Jeff Cooper
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2006, 07:25:18 AM »
Quote from: fistful
Quote from: HankB
True.  I enjoyed that he consciously strove to guard his writing from the slop that has crept into the American vernacular in the past few decades and that he represented an earlier era.  He was a museum piece, and in a good way.
HankB and fistul, I think we are at a consensus. The Colonel had a command of English and History that really showed in his writing. Whenever he referenced a person or event, it was always in a relevant context. One that not only helped you understand what he was saying, but also made you curious enough to go look up the reference for yourself.

Sadly, most books today, even the non-fiction ones, communicate in a style reminiscent of a cheap dime store novel.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
RIP, Colonel Jeff Cooper
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2006, 12:13:57 PM »
Quote from: garrettwc
HankB and fistul, I think we are at a consensus.
Should we sign the peace accords in Paris or Camp David?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Lo.Com.Denom

• friend
  • Welcome to my world...
RIP, Colonel Jeff Cooper
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2006, 12:46:55 PM »
Just heard today, through Lawdog's blog.

I had heard that he was ill, but it's still sad news.

RIP Jeff

garrettwc

• friend
RIP, Colonel Jeff Cooper
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2006, 03:55:57 PM »
Should we sign the peace accords in Paris or Camp David?
How about Vegas?

mustanger98

• friend
RIP, Colonel Jeff Cooper
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2006, 04:35:14 PM »
Tell ya'll something the Colonel said that stood out with me... not sure of the exact words, but...

"If you don't understand weapons, you don't understand fighting. If you don't understand fighting, you don't understand war. If you don't understand war, you don't understand history. If you don't understand history, you might as well live with your head in a sack."

I also recall him saying while police in this country tend to handcuff anybody over anything, the most successful law enforcement in history didn't. He cited the Romans not shackling Roman citizens. He also cited the Mexican Rurales under their President Diaz as thinking it impolite to even remove a suspects sidearm. To me, that showed a consideration for our fellow man with the principle of innocent until proven guilty.

Just because someones is noticably near, that don't make it any less unpleasant.

HankB

• friend
RIP, Colonel Jeff Cooper
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2006, 03:34:18 AM »
How about Vegas?
Peace accords signed there wouldn't hold . . . "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas."

My favorite Cooper quote goes something like this: "Just because a man has been there and done that, doesn't mean he knows what the hell he's talking about."
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

garrettwc

• friend
RIP, Colonel Jeff Cooper
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2006, 05:40:38 AM »
Peace accords signed there wouldn't hold . . . "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas."
Ah true. Perhaps if we stayed in Vegas and held regular diplomatic meetings.