Author Topic: Gov Perry in a Legal CCH Shoot  (Read 9549 times)

Waitone

• friend
Gov Perry in a Legal CCH Shoot
« on: April 28, 2010, 10:44:09 AM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/27/AR2010042704373.html
Texas gov. shoots, kills 'wily' coyote during jog

By JIM VERTUNO
The Associated Press
Tuesday, April 27, 2010; 7:55 PM

AUSTIN, Texas -- Pistol-packing Texas Gov. Rick Perry has a message for wily coyotes out there: Don't mess with my dog.

Perry told The Associated Press on Tuesday he needed just one shot from the laser-sighted pistol he sometimes carries while jogging to take down a coyote that menaced his puppy during a February run near Austin.

Perry said he will carry his .380 Ruger - loaded with hollow-point bullets - when jogging on trails because he is afraid of snakes. He'd also seen coyotes in the undeveloped area.

When one came out of the brush toward his daughter's Labrador retriever, Perry charged.

"Don't attack my dog or you might get shot ... if you're a coyote," he said Tuesday.

Perry, a Republican running for a third full term against Democrat Bill White, is living in a private house in a hilly area southwest of downtown Austin while the Governor's Mansion is being repaired after a 2008 fire. A concealed handgun permit holder, Perry carries the pistol in a belt.

"I knew there were a lot of predators out there. You'll hear a pack of coyotes. People are losing small cats and dogs all the time out there in that community," Perry said.

"They're very wily creatures."

On this particular morning, Perry said, he was jogging without his security detail shortly after sunrise.

"I'm enjoying the run when something catches my eye and it's this coyote. I know he knows I'm there. He never looks at me, he is laser-locked on that dog," Perry said.

"I holler and the coyote stopped. I holler again. By this time I had taken my weapon out and charged it. It is now staring dead at me. Either me or the dog are in imminent danger. I did the appropriate thing and sent it to where coyotes go," he said.

Perry said the laser-pointer helped make a quick, clean kill.

"It was not in a lot of pain," he said. "It pretty much went down at that particular juncture."

Texas state law allows people to shoot coyotes that are threatening livestock or domestic animals. The dog was unharmed, Perry said.

Perry's security detail was not required to file a report about the governor discharging a weapon, said Department of Public Safety spokeswoman Tela Mange.

"People shoot coyotes all the time, snakes all the time," Mange said. "We don't write reports."

The governor left the coyote where it fell.

"He became mulch," Perry said.
This one oughta send the animal rights nuts into a whomp-sided orbit.  I'm sure someone will try to make political hay out of a legal, clear cut self-defense shoot.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 02:49:07 PM by Waitone »
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Gov Perry in a Legal CCH Shoot
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 10:47:24 AM »
"He became mulch."

+1, Gov Perry. =D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 11:05:28 AM »
God bless Texas.

That just brings a smile to my face. Way to put down that varmint, Governor.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 11:07:22 AM »
I'm not a huge fan of Gov. Perry, but I'll give props to anyone who can drop a yote with one shot from an LCP. Cool.

Edit: the gun nut in me wonders what ammo he had loaded.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 11:13:16 AM »
Edit: the gun nut in me wonders what ammo he had loaded.

Yup, same here.  Furthermore I'd like to know the brand and where he got it.  .380 anything is in short supply these parts.  I'm looking for HP .380 without going through the test phase.  Find what works for others and give it a spin.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 11:47:53 AM »
Also impressed at the shooting. Jogging-size .380s strike me as contact-distance weapons. Killing a coyote at any distance with one is impressive imo.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 12:03:43 PM »
Yup, same here.  Furthermore I'd like to know the brand and where he got it.  .380 anything is in short supply these parts.  I'm looking for HP .380 without going through the test phase.  Find what works for others and give it a spin.

Perry said he will carry his .380 Ruger - loaded with hollow-point bullets - when jogging on trails because he is afraid of snakes. He'd also seen coyotes in the undeveloped area.

Ruger LCP.

Roadrunners or Republican governors, Wile E. Coyote can't get a break.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 12:21:49 PM »
Also impressed at the shooting. Jogging-size .380s strike me as contact-distance weapons. Killing a coyote at any distance with one is impressive imo.

I bet the laser helped.  I know that my AMT DAO Backup in .380, with no sights, is most commonly used to practice at about 10 feet distance. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 01:52:38 PM »
The story would be SO much better if instead of a coyote of the canid variety, it involved a coyote of the cross-border human trafficking kind . . .  >:D

Still . . . how many of you poor folks in the OTHER 49 states have a governor who'd take the same decisive action? Kudos to Rick Perry.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 05:11:00 PM »
I guess it wasn't a Coyote of the "super genius" Genus, beep beep.   
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 05:12:03 PM »
durn slow pc's!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 07:20:39 PM »
The story would be SO much better if instead of a coyote of the canid variety, it involved a coyote of the cross-border human trafficking kind . . .  >:D

Still . . . how many of you poor folks in the OTHER 49 states have a governor who'd take the same decisive action? Kudos to Rick Perry.

My former Gov. would have called in air support.  :P
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 07:21:20 PM »
Wouldn't the coyote have become coyote food?  Do they cannibalize their dead?
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 12:39:53 AM »

Depends on how hungry they are; most species are inherently averse to cannibalism, for good evolutionary reason. (Any disease present in the dead animal will also affect the live one, whereas cross-species feeding has at least some chance of a disease being specific to the prey species.) Some species are less averse than others.

OTOH, until I went digging for more info I didn't realize Perry was such an interesting guy; Eagle Scout, (and father of another one) ROTC, USAF tactical airlift pilot, cotton farmer, married his grade-school sweetheart, looks healthier at 60 than I do at 33, etc.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 08:03:00 AM »
In the interest of full disclosure of the good governor, he led the charge in support of the trans texas corridor.  He's the guy who shepherded it though the legislature and ran publicity screen plays. 

So the good governor has a lot of attributes which give "conservatives" warm and fuzzies.  He is also a globalist and all that implies.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 09:16:51 AM »
Perry has made some mistakes . . .

1. Support for Trans-Texas corridor, as already mentioned.
2. He positively LOVES toll roads.
3. He signed a bill allowing tuition discounts for ILLEGAL ALIENS at Texas colleges and universities.  :facepalm:
4. He issued an executive order mandating HPV vaccination for girls. (Note that this order had NO force of law behind it.)

On the other hand, he seems to favor holding the line on both taxes and spending, he's pro-RKBA, and he opposes both Obamacare and cap-and-tax. Despite his imperfections, the opposition has yet to come up with anyone better.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 10:14:54 AM »
My understanding is that #4 was required in order to make those vaccinations available for free through certain state programs.  However, if that was the intent, it wasn't explained well at all.

I have my disagreements with him, but he is better than any Democrat I have seen in quite a while.  Bill White's only claim to fame is that he was a better mayor than Lee P. Brown which isn't really a compliment.  

I would also say that the TSRA is happy with Perry as he has been pro-gun consistently and signed every piece of legislation that got to him. 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 10:19:13 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 11:48:37 AM »
Why is HPV vaccination bad? Are there hidden dangers involved?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 12:27:48 PM »
Apparently they're pricey and multiple shots are required; some are concerned about side effects.

Some others oppose it because of the implicit assumptions that their (very young) daughters are sexually active.

The Perry executive order mandating vaccinations rankled a lot of folks who didn't like one man telling them what to do with their families. (I guess they didn't realize Perry, being governor and not emperor, didn't actually have the power to force compliance.)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 12:31:58 PM »
Micro: surely you of all people see why forcing medical treatment is a bad idea?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2010, 02:01:40 PM »

Tradition is that they stay far away from their dead kin.

Perry should have hung the coyote in a tree to warn the others.  :P

We've had one lying on the rimrock up above the house since I shot it last fall.  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2010, 03:06:57 PM »
My former Gov. would have called in air support.  :P
mine would have gotten eaten. =|

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2010, 09:08:58 PM »
Micro: surely you of all people see why forcing medical treatment is a bad idea?

Oh quite, quite.

But I'm not sure if this about forcing people to get vaccinated (which I am against), or about mandating FUNDING or provision of these vaccinations.

Also, I think in some circumstances, mandatory vaccinations are a good thing - specifically in the case of a medical emergency, or preventing one, like people do with measles and tetanus.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2010, 01:01:27 AM »
My understanding was the (powerless) EO was mandatory vaccination. And if an STD is reaching epidemic status, yer doin it rong. Unless we're talking about sub-Saharan Africa where many cases of transmission are rape based. But that's really just another argument for recolonization of Africa...
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2010, 06:41:57 AM »
Things that are hard to believe....

1. Perry's security detail would let him get away by himself without someone close by to keep watch.

2. Perry carries a .380 as a "snake gun".

3. Anything that comes out of Perry's mouth.   ;/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.