Author Topic: Jindal orders barriers built  (Read 8981 times)

Waitone

• friend
Jindal orders barriers built
« on: June 14, 2010, 09:05:22 PM »
http://abcnews.go.com/WN/article/bp-oil-spill-gov-bobby-jindal-orders-national/story?id=10914348 

Gov. Bobby Jindal Orders National Guard to Build Barrier Wall Off Louisiana Shore
Louisiana Gov. Takes Matters Into Own Hands, But Will BP Foot the Bill?
By DAVID MUIR

June 14, 2010—

Eight weeks into the oil spill disaster in the Gulf of the Mexico, Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal has told the National Guard that there's no time left to wait for BP, so they're taking matters into their own hands.

In Fort Jackson, La., Jindal has ordered the Guard to start building barrier walls right in the middle of the ocean. The barriers, built nine miles off shore, are intended to keep the oil from reaching the coast by filling the gaps between barrier islands.

Watch 'World News' for more on this story tonight on your ABC station.

Today, huge Blackhawk and Chinook helicopters lined up in the air, dropping sandbags one by one into the sea.

"They are lifting up about 7,000 pounds of sandbags," said 1st Lt. James Tyson Gabler.

The authorities say they're keeping a tab on the cost of the project and will send a bill to BP, adding to a huge list of claims from the spill zone.

Gulf Residents and BP Claims

BP says that it has paid out $62 million in claims so far, about half of the 51,000 applications that have been filed. The average amount for a fisherman or a deckhand is $2,500, a fraction of what they would have earned in the eight weeks since the spill started.

Today, though, even President Obama acknowledged during his visit to the region that the claims process is not working. People are waiting for checks and struggling with paperwork.

"There are still problems with [the claims]," Obama said at a press conference. "We're gathering up facts, stories right now so that we have an absolutely clear understanding about how we can best present to BP the need to make sure that individuals and businesses are dealt with in a fair manner and in a prompt manner."

Obama will meet with BP chairman Tony Hayward this week, and he has already asked BP to create an escrow fund to cover claims, monitored by an independent third party.

Answering Questions From the Gulf

But even as Hayward answers the president's questions, uncertainty flows along the Gulf Coast as freely as the oil. Many Gulf Coast residents and concerned citizens have written ABC News, asking for information.

One frequently-asked question: Where do authorities take oil that is skimmed off the water or cleaned up from beaches?

The globs of oil scooped off the sand on shore are being hauled by truck to landfills in three states in the south. The 20 million gallons of oily water that's been collected from the Gulf remains stored on barges, and there's no word yet on when they'll try to separate out the oil and take it away.

Containing the Leak?

At the site of the leak, BP promises that it will be able to corral some 53,000 barrels of oil per day by the end of June, but critics say that won't be enough. They argue that more than 60,000 barrels are leaking out every day, and they believe that the end of June is a pipe dream.

As for the relief wells that promise a final solution to the spewing leak? BP says that the wells are on track, already dug 2.7 miles below the sea floor with one more mile to go. The first relief well could come on line at the beginning of August.
He finally took matters into his own hands and acted.  I'm no Jindal fan but I gotta applaud guts when I see it.  Way to go, Guv!
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

taurusowner

Re: Jindal orders barriers built
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 09:54:18 PM »
Well I am a Jindal fan and I applaud him as well.  That man knows how to get the right thing done.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 09:57:14 PM »
Eight weeks into the oil spill disaster in the Gulf of the Mexico, Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal has told the National Guard that there's no time left to wait for BP, so they're taking matters into their own hands.

Funny, it wasn't BP that was stopping him. He needed clearance by the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT.

Bravo, ABC, good job trying to deflect criticism of your man.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 08:16:13 PM »
And Obama took credit for the barriers tonight. And announced a 6 month moratorium on drilling. And wants more regulation.

Jesus...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 09:09:18 PM »
Obama was afraid from day one that Jindal might get some credit.  The way it's looking that is going to backfire bigtime on him.  He is turning Jindal into a hero and himself into a bumbler.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 01:31:49 AM »
"We have to put a barrier between us and the snakes oil!"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 02:37:07 AM »
"We have to put a barrier between us and the snakes oil!"

Those of us in the Midwest already have one; Louisiana, Florida, etc.   :P  :lol:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 09:00:25 AM »
^

Yeah, I know.... graveyard-ish humor. Mea culpa.

<beats chest 3 times in penitence, coughs up more phlegm, continues laughing>

(I've always been a bit of an admirer of Bobbie Jindal.)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 09:04:34 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 09:36:35 PM »
Obama was afraid from day one that Jindal might get some credit.  The way it's looking that is going to backfire bigtime on him.  He is turning Jindal into a hero and himself into a bumbler.

This might be the series of events that could make Jindal a viable candidate to unseat Obama in '012.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

taurusowner

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 12:45:20 AM »
This might be the series of events that could make Jindal a viable candidate to unseat Obama in '012.

I'd really like to see that.  Jindal is, in my humble opinion, not as much of "damaged goods" as Sarah Palin.  He doesn't have quite the terrible reputation (yet) as the media has yet to really give him their usual workup.  He also has, and is continuing to build, an  actual record of getting things done.  Alaska is a good state, and I would consider myself more blessed to live there than here in Michigan, but to be blunt, it's not really the experience generator that Louisiana is.  Small population, relatively reliable Republican citizens and government, and it's pretty out of the way both physically and politically.  Not to mention Palin quit her job  as Governor.  Jindal on the other hand had the task of cleaning up one of the most corrupt and broken states in  the Union, with the aftermath of Katrina to deal with as well.  And he's done an incredible job.  He hasn't even lost his stride with this latest disaster.  Palin is a good person to drum up support, talk the good talk, and call out the Left for the BS in language "fly over America" can understand.  But I don't see her as being electable.  Jindal with his actual record of doing  a fantastic job dealing with real disasters, surviving and even thriving in an entire state with a Chicago style political makeup, and (I hate to say it, but let's be pragmatic here) is a member of a non-white race which blunts the "GOP equals white good ol' boys club" mudslinging.  I hate the idea of using that last fact as much as the rest of you as I know the truth of the matter is that real conservatives and libertarians really do see people in terms of merit and not race.  But as long as there is a Left that is willing and able to throw the race-mud at us, being able to show in action that they are wrong is something I am in favor of.

A Bobby Jindal/Rand Paul ticket (or Paul/Jindal, it doesn't really matter to me who takes the lead) in 2012 would be the closest thing to awesome I can really imagine.  Not only do they truly play to the strengths I as a conservative/libertarian want in  real issues, but they also defeat a lot of the standard Left criticisms.  They are young, truly grass roots, talk to citizens like they are just citizens themselves (which they are), are great on the issues (not perfect IMO but no one is) and Jindal isn't white.  Again, as long as the Left plays identity politics, it's a battlefield we are going to have to at least be aware of and be able to counter.  I'm not saying picking a terrible candidate just because he's black or anything like that.  But if I have to pick between a candidate who is great on issues and white or one that is great on the issues and non-white, I'm gonna pick the non-white guy just because it flies directly in the face of the GOP=whites only claims that the Left throws at us every single election cycle.  Jindal fits that bill.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 12:51:25 AM by Ragnar Danneskjold »

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 04:05:18 AM »
I'd really like to see that.  Jindal is, in my humble opinion, not as much of "damaged goods" as Sarah Palin.  He doesn't have quite the terrible reputation (yet) as the media has yet to really give him their usual workup.

Just wait until they find a photo with his boobs looking a little bigger than they did last week.

Speaking of which, don't Obama's boobs look a bit bigger than usual in this picture?

He also has, and is continuing to build, an  actual record of getting things done.

That hasn't worked for a candidate since Reagan.

Not to mention Palin quit her job  as Governor.  Jindal on the other hand had the task of cleaning up one of the most corrupt and broken states in  the Union, with the aftermath of Katrina to deal with as well.

Problem is, a lot of the Katrina aftermath involved exporting the causes of some of their problems to other states.

And he's done an incredible job.  He hasn't even lost his stride with this latest disaster.

I'm really hoping he can force the cleanup barge incident into the media more effectively.  It's a good example of the Feds intentionally delaying cleanup efforts, and needs to be a headline everywhere, IMO.

A Bobby Jindal/Rand Paul ticket (or Paul/Jindal, it doesn't really matter to me who takes the lead) in 2012 would be the closest thing to awesome I can really imagine.

Get them to change parties so they can run against Norris/Nugent, and you'll finally have an election I can really feel good about long before the votes are even cast.

taurusowner

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 04:21:38 AM »
Why would you want them to change parties?

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 05:18:53 AM »
Why would you want them to change parties?

Because that's the really cool thing to do in politics these days, and it rarely fails to get someone elected.

taurusowner

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 05:41:31 AM »
Ah, I may have misunderstood what you were saying.  I was under the impression that you personally would only support a Jindal/Paul ticket if they switched from GOP to Libertarian.

Though to your point, the party switching really only seems to work for (R)s turned (D) or (I).  Two men who are as conservative/libertarian as Bobby Jindal and Rand Paul could never gain any support if they became Democrats.  The Dem voters wouldn't trust their policies, and the Rep voters wouldn't forgive them for joining the enemy.  And if they became Independents, they would cut a massive support base out from under themselves and effectively marginalize their entire campaign.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2010, 07:46:05 AM »
Just wait until they find a photo with his boobs looking a little bigger than they did last week.

Speaking of which, don't Obama's boobs look a bit bigger than usual in this picture?

It is not possible for Biden to be a bigger boob than he already is.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2010, 01:03:28 PM »
Obama's making Jindal, who slumped there for a while, far more viable.  He's making him a symbol.  The next Presidential Election--if there is one...--will be about states' right and all that implies in its penumbra.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2010, 01:04:29 PM »
Ah, I may have misunderstood what you were saying.  I was under the impression that you personally would only support a Jindal/Paul ticket if they switched from GOP to Libertarian.

Actually, I think that would be a great strategy...for their second term.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 12:07:51 AM by KD5NRH »

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2010, 02:58:37 PM »
One of Jindal's handicaps in 2012 may be that he's not white. I have a feeling that it's going to be quite some time before any minority--not just a black person--is elected president.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2010, 01:10:40 PM »
Was going to say that Jindal's too short to become president, but one source says he's 5'9 - about the same as Carter was. So there is a chance he could win.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heights_of_Presidents_of_the_United_States_and_presidential_candidates
Interesting that "taller guy always wins" was only regular in the 20th century.

And in case DU hasn't said so yet, I will.  [tinfoil] Bobby Jindal blew up the oil rig (with the help of Halliburton, no doubt) so he could become president!!! [tinfoil]

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2010, 01:17:18 PM »
One of Jindal's handicaps in 2012 may be that he's not white. I have a feeling that it's going to be quite some time before any minority--not just a black person--is elected president.

No, that's silly.  Being "ethnic" is cool, and will be for some time.  Especially for a Republican, running against Obama. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2010, 01:30:06 PM »
No, that's silly.  Being "ethnic" is cool, and will be for some time.  Especially for a Republican, running against Obama.

Being a conservative member of a minority is not a plus. You of all people should know that, especially after seeing the treatment given Clarence Thomas, Condoleeza Rice, and others. Blacks, Hispanics and other minorities aren't really minorities unless they're Democrats.

I'm afraid that Obama has ruined the chances of another black person (and by extension any other minority) being elected president for many years. I've thought that since last year, and I've read some pretty well-regarded columnists saying the same.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2010, 01:54:11 PM »
What Obama has ruined is the electability of anyone who can tagged with the "affirmative action" label and especially if that person has traceable leftist ties.  I don't think race or ethnicity would necessarily militate against Jindal, but his religion well might.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2010, 02:43:50 PM »
What Obama has ruined is the electability of anyone who can tagged with the "affirmative action" label and especially if that person has traceable leftist ties.  I don't think race or ethnicity would necessarily militate against Jindal, but his religion well might.

Only with the anti-religious. 

Fundy and theologically conservative Protestants & Catholics (esp orthodox R Catholics) have been political allies for decades. 

Jindal, as a serious R Catholic, would rake in what the MSM calls the "evangelical" vote like it was going out of style.  Even more than GWB, as he is a Methodist and the Methodist leadership is ate up with theological liberalism and political liberalism.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2010, 04:02:26 PM »
It is not possible for Biden to be a bigger boob than he already is.
odd, i'm constantly amazed by the vep's constant growing boobisem. :angel: i just dred the day he hits critical mass.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2010, 05:42:34 PM »
In Fort Jackson, La., Jindal has ordered the Guard to start building barrier walls right in the middle of the ocean. The barriers, built nine miles off shore, are intended to keep the oil from reaching the coast by filling the gaps between barrier islands.

That's racist - just like Arizona  :P

After all, the oil is black, right ?  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin