Author Topic: Favorite free email services ?  (Read 6906 times)

Silver Bullet

• friend
Favorite free email services ?
« on: September 13, 2005, 05:00:50 PM »
Free as in beer; that is, no other paid subscription required.

Web-based ?
POP3 ?

Thanks

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 05:21:43 PM »
Free email providers guide:
http://www.fepg.net/

I have a couple of mail.com accounts PITA.
one hotmail account so-so
a couple of Yahoo accounts (Best IMO)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 05:30:47 PM »
I've been using a Yahoo e-mail account since 1996 or 1997. Wouldn't have anything else as my primary.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 05:40:26 PM »
You want a gmail invite?
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 05:56:12 PM »
I have one e mail account through my cable internet provider.  Suits me just fine.

edit:  Actually I'm using Mozilla Thunderbird.  I forgot I switched.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 06:23:07 PM »
My cable internet provider (Cox in Northern Virginia) gives you SEVEN e-mail accounts.

I'll be damned if I'm going to install MS Outlook (aka Virus Propagator 2, Delux Edition) on any of my computers.

If it comes preloaded, it's IMMEDIATELY stripped off.

I suppose I could go with another package like Eudora, which isn't a wide-open door for bugs, viri, and intrusions...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HForrest

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 06:27:11 PM »
Gmail is working out great for me so far.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 06:36:24 PM »
#1 Yahoo
#2 Gmail

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 07:24:30 PM »
another vote for gmail

But hey, they're free, try em all out Smiley

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005, 08:09:50 PM »
I like Hotmail, but now that they cut off support for Outlook to new subscribers, I wouldn't get it.

And yeah, I do use Outlook.  Never had any issues with it.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2005, 08:28:06 PM »
gmail, hotmail, and fastmail.fm all strip IP header information, if that's important to you.  

love, james
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2005, 02:32:21 AM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
My cable internet provider (Cox in Northern Virginia) gives you SEVEN e-mail accounts.
I'll be damned if I'm going to install MS Outlook (aka Virus Propagator 2, Delux Edition) on any of my computers.
If it comes preloaded, it's IMMEDIATELY stripped off.
I suppose I could go with another package like Eudora, which isn't a wide-open door for bugs, viri, and intrusions...
Where's the rolling eye smiley when you need it...

You can use Outlook without getting viruses if you simply exercise a bit of common sense.  Most of the virus problems come from idiot users clicking things they shouldn't.  I've been using Outlook as my email client at home (makes managing 3 accounts easy) for 5 years now and haven't had a single computer virus infection.  

As for free email services, I've been happy with Gmail.  Hotmail wasn't too bad a few years ago.  Mail.com blows.  It's so ad driven now, it's almost useless.

Chris

client32

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2005, 03:18:04 AM »
gmail.

you can use either web based or pop3.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2005, 03:22:19 AM »
Okay, thanks for the pointers.  Those are some of the big names, and I'll check them out.  Just wanted to make sure that there wasn't some obscure service that was much better than the big guys.

I'm kinda looking to limit my exposure from spamming to my main email service.

Thanks.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2005, 06:16:51 AM »
Quote from: "Mike Irwin"
I suppose I could go with another package like Eudora
Give Mozilla Thunderbird a try. Fully capable, free email program. With its extensions you can get it do just about whatever you want and its adaptive junkmail filter works great for me.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2005, 06:37:35 AM »
"Where's the rolling eye smiley when you need it...

It's heading to your office to give you the biach slapping you richly deserve. Smiley

"You can use Outlook without getting viruses if you simply exercise a bit of common sense."

I don't think you'll disagree that Outlook is the portal through which the vast majority of virus infections spread, and that many of those infections are propagated via e-mails that APPEAR to have come from a trusted source.

Thanks, but I find that it's far easier, and more logical, to give Bill Gates the fickle finger of fate that he so richly deserves than go "Hey Chris, did you send me this file, or do you have a virus" about 50 times a week for the various friends who send me attachments.

You best of all know that I'm not some super secret computer ubergeek (unlike some people I know Smiley ), so for me the most "common sense" option is to simply destroy the infection vector at its source.

Anything I can do to keep that sawed off little pansy from controlling every aspect of my computational life is just fine with me.

client32

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2005, 08:43:42 AM »
"I don't think you'll disagree that Outlook is the portal through which the vast majority of virus infections spread"

"so for me the most 'common sense' option is to simply destroy the infection vector at its source"

Mike, this message isn't aimed directly at you.  I am just going to respond to your quotes since I get the same arguments every day.

As I am sure you know there are several ways to to aid in the battle against spam and viruses.  Two have been suggested, use common sense and use another program.  First, on common sense, not every has it when it comes to computers.  That is unfortunate, but this is the case for everyone.  Educating everyone is simple security practices would help, but is not really possible.  Second, using another program.  Right now that is a great option.  However, the other program you choose isn't bullet proof.  The simple fact is that right now MS products are targeted.  When the tides shift (if they shift) and another products takes a big chunk of the market share, you will see problems there as well.

What is the point of all this rambling...... well simply put, please to fall into a mindset that since you don't use outlook, you can't get infected with a virus.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2005, 09:21:58 AM »
"well simply put, please to fall into a mindset that since you don't use outlook, you can't get infected with a virus."

I don't believe that for a second, nor have I tried to claim it.

It is true that Outlook is the target of opportunity right now.

But why is that?

Because so damned many people use Outlook, personally and professionally. The saturation rate is extreme.

Another reason is because Microsoft's security practices for its software have been, for years, a damned joke.

Bill Gates has done one thing well -- help drive the cost of computers down to where just about anyone can afford a computer.

He's also done one thing amazing poorly -- ensuring the security of the applications that are virtual world-wide standards.

jefnvk

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2005, 09:31:44 AM »
Another reason is because Microsoft's security practices for its software have been, for years, a damned joke.
Ah, we studied this for a bit in one of my CS classes.  There is a common misconception out there that just because something is open source, it can't have lax security practices either.  Just because anyone can look at the code, doesn't mean anyone has.

I think if we didn't let every grandma and 6 year old use a computer, the virus rate would drop incredibly.  People not knowing what they are doing contributes just as much to problems as any security-riddled program.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2005, 09:59:31 AM »
Computers should work for Grandmas and 6-year-olds too.

igor

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2005, 02:27:33 AM »
Gmail thru POP3 to Thunderbird. Works like a charm.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2005, 05:40:11 AM »
Outlook isn't open source, is it?

If it is, it hasn't been for very long.

The security emphasis on Windows and other MS applications have been lacking for years. I'm not sure, but I suspect that it was in part because the systems WEREN'T open source. It seems that the predominant thinking was "Well, if we don't share the code with anyone, we don't have to worry so much about security testing and sealing the holes. We can deal with things as the crop up," which is exactly what Microsoft did for years.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2005, 06:40:11 AM »
The security emphasis on Windows and other MS applications have been lacking for years. I'm not sure, but I suspect that it was in part because the systems WEREN'T open source. It seems that the predominant thinking was "Well, if we don't share the code with anyone, we don't have to worry so much about security testing and sealing the holes. We can deal with things as the crop up," which is exactly what Microsoft did for years.
That's what the open source geeks want you to believe.  Most users (the 6yo and the grandmother listed above) don't want that kind of security because they lose nifty features and have to learn how to use their shiny new computer.  USERS hate security because it impacts the way they *want* to use a computer.  Try sitting in a technical meeting with a few non-technical managers and find out what end users think of security.  You present them with more than a single login (even when dealing with multiple systems) and they lose interest.  Ma and Pa down the street don't care about security and don't want to be bothered.  Toss them a Linux CD and they'll be just as insecure as they are with Windows.  It's not enough that the applications are "secure", they have to be properly installed on a secure system (which requires proper installation as well).  The sort of person who can't avoid virii in Outlook would likely be just as fscked with an Open Source solution.  They're better now, but back when I was using Linux frequently, a default install was a secure as a screen door.  Then again, Windows isn't any better, but both can be secure IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING (I run several Windows servers that are audited by the govt yearly and I've never failed an audit).  

Chris

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2005, 07:34:36 AM »
Gmail.  Web based, or when I feel like it, POP3 with Thunderbird.
I've got invites, if anyone wants them.

jefnvk

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2005, 08:33:35 AM »
That's what the open source geeks want you to believe.  Most users (the 6yo and the grandmother listed above) don't want that kind of security because they lose nifty features and have to learn how to use their shiny new computer.
Exactly, that is what I have been trying to get at.  Open source has nothing to do with it, unless you want to look through the thousands of lines of code trying to figure out what each does.  The people being affected are not going to be doing that.  And again, just because the code is open to look at, doesn't mean anyone is.

It is kinda like a car.  Most people are never going to open the hood and figure out how and why everything works, and see if any improvements can be made.  All they want is to turn it on and have it work.

Another potentially bad thing about open source, under many licenses you are free to modify and distribute the code.  If we ever get to the point where open source is dominant, I see a big threat being misleadingly advertised products.  Someone takes a good product, enters a few lines of malicious code, and redistributes it under the original name.  Grandma and the 6 year old (probably not even me) are not going to look through all the code to make sure that it is right, the only way it is going to be found out about is when it does whatever it is designed to do.  Sure, I could MD5 sum it, but honestly, how many people on the internet know what an MD5 is?

I'm not saying that one is better than the other, just that someone saying that one is completely better/safer/securer than the other isn't taking everything into consideration.  Simply put, those that know what ther are doing are going to be much more secure with whatever they are using, than someone who doesn't know what they are doing on the most secure system.

A good IE v. Mozilla example.  I hit a website that tried to load something on my computer with IE.  It made a pop-down box that looked exactly like the Info bar telling me how to disable my security to get this great feature.  For the fun of it, I tried it with FireFox.  It wasn't the same exact way, but it did tell me exactly how to install this latest and greatest thing that I needed to view that site.  With something like that, it doesn't matter how secure the system is, if the person using it isn't smart enough to recognize a threat.  Same with the virus outbreaks at the company I co-oped for.  Everytime, it was some idiot running an executable that they got.  They didn't affect anyone that didn't run it, just the ones stupid enough to realize menaked.jpg.vbs is not a file to try and look at.