Author Topic: Another reason to root against the Hurricane !  (Read 1911 times)

Silver Bullet

• friend
Another reason to root against the Hurricane !
« on: September 25, 2009, 11:16:21 AM »
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/dave_hyde/09/23/shannon/index.html

Out of that came an appreciation for the pain of sons without fathers, as well as Rule No. 2 in the behavior contract each University of Miami players sign before the season: no guns.
If you're found with a gun, you're off the team,
the contract states. No excuses. No exceptions. No waiting for some trial to conclude months later.

They were the most obnoxious (and best) college football team of the 1980s, in my opinion, and it was a pleasure to root against them.  I was starting to respect what this new coach had accomplished with their very recent turnaround until I read this.

Turns out he’s just another whacko.  What a shame.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Another reason to root against the Hurricane !
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 12:19:48 PM »
I suspect some player who's family has a gun-safe at home, and hunts, goes to the range, participates in other shooting sports, and maybe, even has a CCW, and just keeps his mouth shut about it will not run afoul of the coach's policy.

I suspect he's referring to the "thug life" rapper-style altercations where young atheletes get themselves into trouble going armed at dance clubs etc...

Out of that came a compassion for kids with kids. He has a player who was kicked out of his home in high school for fathering a child. He has others balancing school and football and families. Last week, when fullback Pat Hill was distraught, his girlfriend working, his baby needing care, Shannon offered a solution.

"Bring your baby to the meetings,'' he said. That's why a toddler played on the floor while Miami's offense plotted a win against Georgia Tech.

Somehow I don't think his policy is aimed at the type of player who's family is all NRA members, if you catch my drift here. He's trying to hard-line/father figure young men from bad backgrounds who's only chance in life is their athletic ability.

I promise not to duck.

Creeping Incrementalism

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 03:12:59 PM »
I heard before the Emerald Bowl last season that the coach didn't let the starting quarterback play the game (J. Harris started instead) because he was 15 minutes late for a final.  So I doubt he would cut any slack for a player using a firearm lawfully.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 03:29:10 PM »
Well, there's only one way to find out.  =D

But I fully admit, it's only just a gut feeling of mine that the coach is trying to enforce an "anti thug" policy, and not really an "anti gun" one.

If he finds out some other kid on his team is bragging about a hunting trip with his family, or his USPSA/IDPA standings, I'd bet the most he'd do is tell the kid to shut up so the coach does not have to deal with questions regarding the "double standard" he was enforcing.

I don't support the coach's blanket statement, but as a football coach who has concerns that some of his team will wind up as front page news for the Glock Forty in their waistband at some club, I can undersand the rationale. And I can understand not knowing a good way of announcing an "Absolutely No Guns, unless you're a responsible gun owner who, hunts, shoots competitively, belongs to the NRA, or a gun-range etc.."-policy
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 03:35:30 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 05:54:23 PM »
I think AJ's right about the anti-thug goal.  While there have been other teams that got a lot of attention for having a few players on the wrong side of the law, Miami set the standard for thuggin' college football.
For entertainment purposes only.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 06:00:00 PM »
I agree with the thug theory.  There really is no "one size fits all" when it comes to rules and regs on guns.
I'll still root against them though...unless they're playing the Gators.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 06:45:30 PM »
I live in a collage town, UNR University of Nevada Reno.  I seems like every year lately, one or two football players are arrested for using a gun to commit a crime.  I don't agree with such a blanket statement either, but where are we getting these football players?  A Mike Tyson/Mike Vick scholarship Fund?
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 11:39:41 PM »
I live in a collage town, UNR University of Nevada Reno.  I seems like every year lately, one or two football players are arrested for using a gun to commit a crime.  I don't agree with such a blanket statement either, but where are we getting these football players?  A Mike Tyson/Mike Vick scholarship Fund?

Speaking of which....you watching the game?
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth