Author Topic: Massad Ayoob attends an Appleseed, earns his Patch  (Read 554 times)

Silver Bullet

• friend
Massad Ayoob attends an Appleseed, earns his Patch
« on: February 23, 2010, 10:00:00 PM »
http://backwoodshome.com/blogs/MassadAyoob/2010/02/01/appleseed/

I’ve been hearing for years from friends I respect about the Appleseed Project, which is a two-day weekend program (though you can get a lot out of just one day) that teaches dual lessons of American History and riflery. The history focuses on April 19, 1775 and the events that surrounded “the shot heard ‘round the world,” in a humanistic detail that you rarely see in history books. The riflery focuses on standard military marksmanship doctrine, circa early 20th Century – and I don’t say that as a slap, because that doctrine makes a very solid foundation for “modern techniques” to build upon.

The objective of the program is to reawaken the United States as a nation of riflemen, and to imbue all the independence and responsibility which that concept implies. The course I just came home from was held at Hernando Sportsmen’s Club in Hernando County, Florida. I was most pleased to see how many young people were there, boys and girls alike: as simplistic as it sounds, the fact really is: “The children are the future.”

A large and dedicated cadre of Appleseed disciples was there to supervise the marksmanship training and deliver the powerful lectures. As a firearms instructor myself, I always watch how others teach the gun. To a man (and woman) the Appleseed trainers were patient, sharp-eyed, super-safe, and respectful of all students of all ages. From the technical side, I found their corrections were always on point.

In the course of 500 rounds or so, attendees were drilled on safety, fundamentals of marksmanship, and three shooting stances. Offhand (standing without artificial support), a more solid choice such as kneeling or sitting (with the latter recommended, and several optional postures shown), and the most solid position for precision hits, prone (on your belly). The targets ain’t easy: an Army L-silhouette shape from chest to rounded head, and not very big at all. The shooting at a basic Appleseed is all from 25 meters, which sounds like easy short-range gunning until you realize that the tie-breaking center “V” ring is the size of a 24-ounce Coke’s bottlecap on the target that represents the 100 yard silhouette…is completely covered by a dime on the target that represents the 200 yard target…about the diameter of the base of a 9mm pistol cartridge on the mark that equates to 300 yard shooting…and comparable to the diameter of the standard eraser on a number 2 pencil on the target intended to duplicate 400 yard marksmanship.
The 5-point zone surrounding the tie-breaker ring, shaped a bit like an inverted “V,” is a bit bigger, but not much. 100 yards is duplicated offhand, 200 from sitting, and 300 and 400 yards from prone. With 5 points possible per shot, some 40 shots fired, and double value for the “400 yard” duplicator, 210 out of 250 possible points are required to earn the coveted Appleseed Rifleman patch.

Does that sound tough? It IS. Yet I saw some fine shooting from the 20+ attendees, many of them kids, a total group half or less what normally shows up for an Appleseed in this venue, according to lead instructor Trey Dawson.  Of our contingent, only 4 of us earned the patch, but all I talked to were eager to come back…some to try again to earn the patch, and all to move up through the organization’s well-structured instructor ranks and help promote one of the best ideas that has surfaced of late in the encouragement of individual rights and heritage. In an upcoming entry, we’ll talk about the guns, the accessories, and the hardware you’ll need. Meanwhile, know that kids or women can attend for free, and info is available at the Appleseed Project website.