Author Topic: The IRS and a Double Standard  (Read 4204 times)

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
The IRS and a Double Standard
« on: February 01, 2009, 12:07:10 PM »
1st Geitner and now Daschle  ($130K)- owe taxes - for a long time - and don't pay them (at least not until after they've been nominated for a cabinet post).

I'm confused....

If a regular citizen owed the IRS $130K for over a year the IRS would have nailed them hard. Tax liens, penalties, pay garnishment maybe even criminal charges.

Yet it seems the IRS did little to get taxes owed by Geitner and Daschle than ask politely for them to pay.

Seems like a double standard to me. Or the fix is in?

What the heck is going on here?
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: The IRS and a Double Standard
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 12:14:37 PM »
as someone whos had dealing with the irs   you overestimate their bite. they will work with and negotiate with most folks if you make an effort
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 12:27:24 PM »
as someone whos had dealing with the irs   you overestimate their bite. they will work with and negotiate with most folks if you make an effort

If you have a name and power, they will work with you. If you are a nameless insect, they could care less.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 12:44:45 PM »
Seems like a double standard to me. Or the fix is in?

The aristocrats deserve preferential treatment.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 01:01:38 PM »
my actual experience with the irs have not been like that.  now if you get silly and try to tell em you're a sovreign alien or try some out and out fraud yea they'll break it off in you. but i work opn the priciple off aggresively claiming eveything i think i might be entitled to , kinda better to beg forgiceness than ask permission. as a result i have gotten to see them quite often. well aside from the 14 years i didn't file. thus far i've one some lost some but never ended up paying more than 100 bucks. one audit showed me owing quite a bit till further in the same auditor found something i failed to claim, business casualty loss, that balanced the other error. i don't like em but i found the hype to be just that  hype.  i think they encourage it to scare folks into compliance. it works
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

castle key

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 01:09:48 PM »
The Washington Post headline stated, "Daschle Delayed Revealing Tax Glitch."

Should I get audited, I will call it a glitch.....
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 05:19:23 PM »
IRS walks a fine line.  It has to keep up the fiction that we have a voluntary tax system unlike, say Italy.  Too heavy a hand and the peeps get rebellious.  Too light and those same peeps quit playing the game.  Very often the IRS will see funny games and rather than act, simply sit and wait before dropping the hammer.  In the case of Dashle and Geithner I suspect the matter is more related to routine non-payment of taxes by "special people".  Both they and the IRS wink and nod at the game.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 07:20:48 PM by Waitone »
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 06:12:29 PM »
Your average person if caught after an audit, never mind going to the IRS themselves admitting the mistake would likely get payment terms, and even likely get to pay a dime on the dollar type settlement.

I don't think you can compare the average person to this situation. I find it hard to believe Geithner didn't know he owed the taxes when he got extra pay to pay the taxes, wouldn't that extra pay be taxable too anyways? I find it hard to believe Daschle didn't know or shouldn't have known that that free car and driver weren't taxable, what was a senator doing accepting a free driver and car from a campaign donor anyways - aren't those illegal campaign contributions?

These are two obviously corrupt people, btw both also had jobs as lobbyists did they not? Did not our newest president state he wouldn't hire former lobbyists that had been lobbying in the last few years?

Hmmm hope and change, not seeing much change, unless open corruption vs. hidden is change, and I don't' even want to guess on what I'm supposed to hope for.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 08:02:55 PM »
I like what one pundit said about this.

No wonder liberals like higher taxes. They never pay them.

anygunanywhere

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 10:49:05 PM »
I was audited when I was in the Navy. I had a wife and two sons. E-4 at the time. I took a deduction that all submarine sailors took. The back taxes and interest was almost two months pay.

The IRS acknowledged that yes, all sub sailors took the deduction but, hey! They couldn't audit them all! Pay the fines, squid.

We were eligible for food stamps then but didn't use them. This was the Carter Navy. He was ex-Navy and submarines too.

If my darling spouse had not been working and the boat wives not pitched in with each other for day care we would have been screwed.

To hell with Peanut Carter and the IRS.

Anygunanywhere

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 11:34:55 PM »
Doesn't it also depend on the administration and current political climate? I heard the IRS went soft around the time Bush took office because they were caught being dirty during the Clinton years.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 05:45:01 PM »
Your average person if caught after an audit, never mind going to the IRS themselves admitting the mistake would likely get payment terms, and even likely get to pay a dime on the dollar type settlement.
The first part of that statment is true, the second is not.  To get any reduction in taxes owed (including interest) you have work out an Offer In Compromise (OIC).  To get them to accept an OIC you have to prove pauper status, and an unlikely ability to make enough money in the future to pay back the full amount.  Very few people qualify no matter what JK Harris says.
Formerly sumpnz

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 01:48:48 PM »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 01:49:45 PM »
http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/hr-735.html
LawDog posted this about the Rangel Rule Act of 2009.  A good start at least.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 01:54:03 PM »
DASCHLE WITHDRAWS!!

WASHINGTON (ap)– Tom Daschle withdrew his nomination on Tuesday to be President Barack Obama's Health and Human Services secretary, dealing potential blows to both speedy health care reform and Obama's hopes for a smoother start as president.
Notice how AP can't help but editorialize?

The guy's tax cheating involved more money than most people make in a year - and BHO wanted him.

That makes two (2) nominees to fall because of tax problems.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 02:09:40 PM »
But, but, but, but, but, Joe Biden told me it was patriotic to pay (more) taxes......
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Don't care

deleted
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 09:56:35 PM »
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 12:44:43 PM by Don't care »

• friends
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2009, 10:04:14 PM »
be careful what you wish for!  i know i would not enjoy that kinda scrutiny  but it would be a hoot to watch

john828

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2009, 11:34:50 PM »
Should I get audited, I will call it a glitch.....

Why not call it a campaign promise?  Quote me if you choose.
My initial thought [for your next purchase] was to get a .22 lr or .22 mag but as you have one or five, I’d advise you purchase Spell Check---
~z

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2009, 04:55:15 PM »
Another one!

Why do they think that nobody will notice if they pay it all of a sudden now...?

A Senate committee today abruptly canceled a session to consider President Obama's nomination of Rep. Hilda Solis to be labor secretary in the wake of a report saying that her husband yesterday paid about $6,400 to settle tax liens against his business -- including liens that had been outstanding for as long as 16 years.

The report, by USA Today, came just before the Senate's Health Education Labor and Pensions Committee was slated to meet to consider Solis's nomination, which had been delayed by questions over her role on the board of the pro-labor organization American Rights at Work. A source said that committee members did not learn about the tax issue until today.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2009/02/05/solis_senate_session_canceled.html?hpid=topnews

If Solis is out, La Raza will throw a fit. She's in their pocket.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 04:58:41 PM by Manedwolf »

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2009, 05:11:34 PM »
Well, if this keeps happening they might just get rid of the IRS.

Wait, no they will just get better at hiding it.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG