Author Topic: First good move for the new administration?  (Read 2254 times)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
First good move for the new administration?
« on: February 03, 2009, 03:09:34 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/02/02/clinton.asia/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Bucking tradition, U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton will bypass Europe and travel to Asia on her maiden voyage overseas, diplomats familiar with the planning said Tuesday.
Bill Clinton looks at his wife Secretary of State Hillary Clinton as she is sworn in on February 2.

Clinton is expected to visit China, Japan and South Korea on her first trip overseas. The diplomats said she may also add other stops, including one in Southeast Asia.

The diplomats spoke on condition of anonymity because Clinton's schedule was still being finalized. The State Department has not commented on her travel plans.

Making Asia Clinton's first overseas destination illustrates the Obama administration's desire for a broader partnership with China and its commitment to resolving the North Korean nuclear issue, as well as strengthening ties with Tokyo and Seoul, the diplomats said.

Pretty good move, it doesn't diminish us much since China already knows they are more important to us than Europe is. Japan and S. Korea could probably use the support.

Possible pitfalls ahead:

-Kissing China's ass re. Taiwan.
-Not doing above same.
-Talking directly to North Korea, especially if we believe a word they say.

Clinton is the one nominee so far that I think is reputable and can get things done. For the foreseeable future she advances her politcal career by making her boss look good, I expect she will save him and Biden from a few bouts of foot in mouth disease.

She's got her work cut out for her, seem like the axis of weevil had a meeting at Soros' undersea lair and decided to press all the buttons. Iran's got a satellite, Iran's got rockets for any Johnny Jihadi close to Israel, Korea is talking smack, as is Cuba, Venezuela, etc. It seems that all the thugs notice the new guy at the poker table, he looks like a wimp and they all want to beat him up and take his watch.  =D

AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
Re: First good move for the new administration?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 02:52:22 PM »
-Kissing China's ass re. Taiwan.

That is a real concern.

Taiwan is both an economic powerhouse and a bastion of freedom in the area. It has also been the unwritten but oft acknowledged foundation of our strategic policy in the Pacific that we will stand by Taiwan in the event China makes a move on her.

Disavowing that policy would/could result in China making good on her threats and leaving us with the reputation among Pacific nations that we are all talk and no action.

Can you say Finlandization...  :mad:
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 05:18:59 PM »
She should go to China—and stay there.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 05:25:13 PM »
Standing Wolf... what do you have against the chinese?
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 05:32:38 PM »
Of course she'd go to China first.  China has owned the Clintons for years.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 12:41:34 AM »

That is true.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 09:44:28 AM »

Yes, getting the final installment on the Clinton's Loral aerospace ICBM tech-transfer kickbacks in cash kept in a sealed diplomatic pouch is much safer than wiring the money.
I promise not to duck.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 09:26:00 AM »
China is important right now. This is a good decision.

No offense to Europeans, but Europe is largely irrelevant at the moment. Economies in recession, the EU hobbled by welfare states. It's not going anywhere, it's just sort of sitting at home watching TV with some soft oatmeal.

China, things can change very quickly, and there's reason for us to go there and talk right now.

They're experiencing civil unrest due to millions of job losses by migrant workers. They have containers of cheap crap backing up to the factories.

If ever we could force them to stop holding down the Yuan, now would be the time. They're in WAY worse shape than us with how badly things could go in a hurry, and they know it.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 01:05:33 PM »
Better prospects there for "donations."
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 01:37:23 PM »
It's not going anywhere, it's just sort of sitting at home watching TV with some soft oatmeal.

Wonderful visual =D

Chris

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 03:27:19 PM »
No offense to Europeans, but Europe is largely irrelevant at the moment. Economies in recession, the EU hobbled by welfare states. It's not going anywhere, it's just sort of sitting at home watching TV with some soft oatmeal.

My point exactly.

I don't like the bat but I think Hillary is a competent politician. Better than sending Biden or Carter over there for sure.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.