Author Topic: Coleman seizes on newfound ballots  (Read 3295 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Coleman seizes on newfound ballots
« on: February 06, 2009, 01:56:42 PM »
I am wondering if the people who are in charge in this mess is so incompatent that this kind of mess can happen, or are they just plain trying to steal the election foe Franken.  I do know that all involved should be fired and somebody new come in to clear it up with a lot of oversight from the courts or somebody.

Coleman seizes on newfound ballots
His hopes are lifted as votes missed in recount turn up in Anoka County
By Jason Hoppin
jhoppin@pioneerpress.com

http://www.twincities.com/ci_11640761

Smith, the top elections official in Anoka County, dropped a minor bombshell Thursday in the courtroom where a lawsuit over Minnesota's U.S. Senate race was being heard. She testified that the county has found — within the prior 24 hours — a dozen or more ballots that were never counted in the statewide recount that ended last month.

While the number is not enough to overcome Democrat Al Franken's 225-vote lead over former Republican Sen. Norm Coleman, it suggests there might be other uncounted ballots in other counties. Only a handful of elections officials have testified in the recount trial so far.

The news came just hours after Franken argued before the state Supreme Court that  an election certificate should be issued allowing him to take his seat in Washington, D.C. Coleman, who attended the hearing, said the development was a sign his court challenge to overcome Franken's lead has a chance.
"The fact is, there is no question that the 225 number is an artificial number," Coleman said.

Smith, who was to resume her testimony this morning, said the ballots were found among the county's election materials Wednesday night and Thursday morning, partly in response to an official data request from Franken.

The discovery includes:

Three military ballots for Coleman from a Spring Lake Park precinct that were originally duplicated and misplaced before the recount. They were found in a large envelope containing discarded absentee-ballot return envelopes.

Six absentee ballots that were found inside their original return envelopes and have never been counted.

Several other ballots that were rejected for one reason or another, but that the county now says should be reconsidered.
"The finding of the ballots is just another demonstration of how illusory that count is," said Ben Ginsberg, an attorney for Coleman.

Attorneys for Franken did not comment after the hearing.

Also testifying Thursday was Pine County Auditor Cathy Clemmer. The Coleman campaign has pointed to 11 rejected ballots in that county that it says should be counted, out of as many as 4,800 statewide.

That was a sign the trial's pace could slow even more than the previous day, when Coleman's lawyers went through about 150 Washington County ballots it wants included. Lawyers had not begun entering Anoka County ballots into the record when court was recessed for the day.

Wrapping up testimony from the previous two days, Washington County Elections Manager Kevin Corbid did provide some of Thursday's more intriguing testimony.

Questioned by David Lillehaug, a Franken lawyer, Corbid said two representatives of the Coleman campaign showed up at his offices at 2 a.m. the day after the election, just as precinct materials were being delivered to his office and as the final state returns were coming in from northern Minnesota.

"I don't recall this ever happening, where a campaign would come to our offices," Corbid said.

It was widely reported that Coleman sent representatives to observe local elections offices, but the speed with which the two arrived in Washington County — Corbid said they identified themselves as being from the East Coast — was a surprise.

Corbid said the pair stationed themselves in the parking lot when he left the office at 5 a.m. Corbid also called the Washington County sheriff and asked that deputies make periodic checks on the men.

In another development Thursday, Lillehaug and Coleman attorney Joe Friedberg also clashed over Friedberg's attempt to enter a single ballot — cast for Franken, no less — into the record.

The absentee vote had been rejected for having a signature problem, but the voter submitted an affidavit saying the vote was indeed his. It effectively would have given the Democrat a 226-vote lead, but Friedberg said he intended to argue that all similar ballots should then be accepted.

Lillehaug rejected the attempt.

"What we just saw from Mr. Friedberg was grandstanding," Lillehaug said.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Coleman seizes on newfound ballots
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 02:24:16 PM »
This is practically the definition of a political topic.

Moving TO Politcs Place.

That doesn't happen often.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 03:01:15 PM »
That whole mess should be an embarassment to the whole state. At this stage with so much obvious and blatent incompetance having been displayed by the state election board they all need to be fired and the whole thing done over.  Maybe we could get Hugo Chavez or Raul Castro to send up some monitors so it will at least look lke it was done fairly ;/.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 04:28:36 PM »
I am wondering if the people who are in charge in this mess is so incompatent that this kind of mess can happen, or are they just plain trying to steal the election foe Franken.

Do you even need to wonder?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 05:01:55 PM »
Maybe we could get Hugo Chavez or Raul Castro to send up some monitors so it will at least look lke it was done fairly ;/.

....at least they could give Franken pointers about how to "silence" the opposition....  :angel:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

digitalandanalog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 09:15:40 PM »
Is this going to turn into the ugliest clash for a Senate seat in history?

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 03:34:53 AM »
or are they just plain trying to steal the election foe Franken
great typo!

they are just plain stealing it for Franken
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 09:39:45 AM »
Is this going to turn into the ugliest clash for a Senate seat in history?
Maybe.  It needs to be done though.  All the BS and incompetence needs to be brought into the light of day and the public record.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Logos

• I am that am...
Coleman is toast.
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 08:36:33 PM »
Coleman needs to face reality and get a job.

There are not enough votes left out there to overcome a 225 vote lead.
There is not a liberal America and a conservative America - there is the United States of America. There is not a black America and a white America and latino America and asian America - there's the United States of America.
Barack Obama

digitalandanalog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 09:06:23 PM »

Seems to me that is exactly what he is trying to do.

Did you know that he has been in the court room through the entire proceedings whilst Franken has yet to make an appearance?

The man may turn out to be the loser, but at least he is diligent. I wonder if you could say the same for Franken.

Edited for spelling brain fart.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 09:33:47 PM by digitalandanalog »

Logos

• I am that am...
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 09:11:02 PM »
Franken is diligent.

Also intelligent.

Coleman?  He's not diligent......just desperate.
There is not a liberal America and a conservative America - there is the United States of America. There is not a black America and a white America and latino America and asian America - there's the United States of America.
Barack Obama

digitalandanalog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 09:32:15 PM »
Franken is diligent.

Also intelligent.

I beg to differ.

Me and you are so going toe to toe over so many things. You the first person I have called a TROLL...

I feel better now.

Logos

• I am that am...
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 09:36:10 PM »
Let me be the first person to return the compliment.

:lol:
Barack Obama

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 11:55:21 PM »
There are not enough votes left out there to overcome a 225 vote lead.

yea?  how many votes are there?  and how many would be enough?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Coleman is toast.
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 09:33:13 AM »

Funny, I say that about the liberal base all the time.

"Where's my handout? I don't wanna work, I want free money! WHAA!"

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 10:10:15 AM »
Franken "finds" ballots, and it's obviously fraud.

Coleman "finds" ballots, and it's.. what now?
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM