Author Topic: Subaru Outback dash warning lights...  (Read 4823 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Subaru Outback dash warning lights...
« on: April 19, 2009, 01:44:00 AM »
Anyone know if there's a way to reset these lights (clear the fault code and shut the light off) without having to use an OBD II tool?

I tried two different auto parts stores today to see if they had a code reader available, and at both stores the damned thing had been stolen.

My airbag light popped on when it was good and wet. It's done that before. Every time I've read the code on it, there's been no stored code, it's a false positive.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Subaru Outback dash warning lights...
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 01:46:09 AM »
On my Jeep, the code clears itself after a given number of start-drive-shutdown cycles. I think the magic number is five. If it starts and drives for five consecutive cycles without throwing the same code again, it resets the light.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 02:09:21 AM »
Disconnecting the battery for 20-30 minutes generally clears the codes.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 08:16:37 AM »
OK, it sounds like I might have a real problem, then.

I've started it far more than 5 times, and I had the battery out yesterday to clean off all of the crust and corrosion. It didn't reset.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 08:59:49 AM »
Mike- for mine (2005) I simply pull the computer fuse...It takes about 10 seconds of trying to start, but that clears all the codes...
One day at a time.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 09:08:32 AM »
"It takes about 10 seconds of trying to start, but that clears all the codes..."

Ex, I don't understand this.

Do you mean that when you pull the airbag fuse, the car won't start for about 10 seconds?

erictank

• friends
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 10:24:22 AM »
Anyone know if there's a way to reset these lights (clear the fault code and shut the light off) without having to use an OBD II tool?

I tried two different auto parts stores today to see if they had a code reader available, and at both stores the damned thing had been stolen.

My airbag light popped on when it was good and wet. It's done that before. Every time I've read the code on it, there's been no stored code, it's a false positive.

Don't remember off the top of my head if it applies to Subarus, but my wife's Honda Odyssey can clear at least some check-engine codes using a combination of the ignition switch and a dash button - I'd need to check her Owner's Manual to say exactly what to do, but she doesn't always need a code reader, anyways. 

But I have one, so I've never checked my Forester's manual for an equivalent procedure, I just pop the thing in and read the code, if the light comes on (never with the new car - had a weird, untraceable problem that brought up one or more 'cylinder misfire' codes on a random basis when I had a '98 Forester.  No mechanic ever tracked it down, and there was never any evidence of actual misfiring).

mfree

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 10:26:23 AM »
You have compromised wiring somewhere in the sensor loop out to the bumper, I'll almost guarantee it. Corroded ground, bad insulation... that light's coming on for a reason.

It'd suck if you augur in to something in the rain and none of the airbags deploy, because the computer's getting no signal from the chassis load sensors.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 10:34:21 AM »
It's come on and gone off before, of its own accord, and always during damp, nasty weather, and it's never thrown a code.

I'd think that there should have been some kind of stored code.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 08:09:21 PM »
Not if the airbag processor is a separate module.