Author Topic: Sub off Florida Coast  (Read 5362 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Sub off Florida Coast
« on: June 21, 2010, 02:59:36 PM »
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/state/boater-chases-mysterious-periscope-off-hollywood-beach-752917.html

Talk about the big one that got away.

Ryan Danoff was fishing with two friends about four miles off Hollywood beach Sunday when he spied what appeared to be a mast on the horizon.

Funny thing: There was no boat underneath it.

Danoff, a Fort Lauderdale fish farmer who's on the water at least three days a week, aimed his 31-foot center console Fishy Business at the mysterious upright and found himself eye to eye with a periscope.

"It was crazy," he said. "If it was just myself out there I wouldn't believe what I saw."

Danoff moved closer. "It took off," he said. Very fast, about 20 knots. The periscope sank beneath the waves, and whatever was below the surface blew its ballast, sending aloft a mighty hiccup of bubbles. After five minutes the sea lay once again undisturbed.

Danoff, 30, reported the episode to the Coast Guard. They said they'd get back to him, but never did.

Coast Guard Petty Officer Barry Bena said Danoff's information went to the proper authorities. "As of right now, they're still looking into it," he said.

So could it have been a Navy sub taking a peek at the beach? "It's kind of uncommon," Bena said. "But it's a definite possibility."

I would expect the Gulf to be crawling with US Navy vessels, including subs right now.  However, Ft Lauderdale is on the Atlantic coast of Florida.

Wish the guy had a pic of the periscope.  I bet Russian/Chinese/other periscope designs look different than ours.

Jamis:  Gonna take the SS SugarMama out sub-hunting?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Sub off Florida Coast
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 04:12:17 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Submarine_Base_Kings_Bay

Looks like someone was asleep at the periscope..........
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 04:31:23 PM »
Somehow I am reminded of this. startted with the image of a guy looking through a periscope and saying, "There's Klingons on the starboard bow."

Safe...but I don't understand why the Flintstones are on Star Trek.  [popcorn]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vPWE2Ebz48
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 05:32:07 PM »
whatever was below the surface blew its ballast, sending aloft a mighty hiccup of bubbles

That would be just letting out air  ;/

Blowing the ballast would cause the sub to fly out of the water.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 06:52:08 PM »
That would be just letting out air  ;/

Blowing the ballast would cause the sub to fly out of the water.

Did it look like this?

Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 06:53:15 PM »
just another coke sub underway
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 07:59:55 PM »
Obviously, you were between the sub and a bikini-clad person on the shore.

That explains everything that happened, and maybe even the Coast Guard's foot-dragging.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

taurusowner

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 08:02:35 PM »
Probably running a few drills close to CONUS before heading out for a patrol.  If I saw it I would tell the Coast Guard but no one else.  Other nations don't need to know our departure times.  Oh well.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 04:07:10 AM »
They probably wanted to surface and the doofus wouldn't leave the area. You always want to do a visual check of the surface traffic before you surface the boat, don't want to bump into things.  =(

bob

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 08:54:38 AM »
It would have been amusing if the small craft had lobbed a few cherry bombs into the water . . .  :O

Anyway, this reminds me of a story from some years back when Soviet subs were probing Sweden's harbors. A bunch of Swedish college students got a bunch of PVC pipes (or the Swedish equivalents) and put a cap on one end and an elbow on the other. They weighted the capped end with sand or rocks as ballast, and put them in the water; the ballast kept them upright, and a good length of pipe (with the elbow on the end) stuck out above the surface - instant periscope!  =D

They put them in the water so the current would carry them to the Swedish naval base at Karlskrona, where they caused a bit of a furor.

Swedish naval authorities were not amused.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 11:07:03 AM »
Danoff, 30, reported the episode to the Coast Guard. They said they'd get back to him, but never did.

Coast Guard Petty Officer Barry Bena said Danoff's information went to the proper authorities. "As of right now, they're still looking into it," he said.

Coast Guard presumably knows when the Navy is running subs around inshore.  If the CG didn't care about a sub that close in, then the logical conclusion is that it was Navy.  Especailly with the recent spike in the use of drug subs....

They probably wanted to surface and the doofus wouldn't leave the area. You always want to do a visual check of the surface traffic before you surface the boat, don't want to bump into things.  =(

bob

What he said. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 11:35:35 AM »
It would have been amusing if the small craft had lobbed a few cherry bombs into the water . . .  :O

Anyway, this reminds me of a story from some years back when Soviet subs were probing Sweden's harbors. A bunch of Swedish college students got a bunch of PVC pipes (or the Swedish equivalents) and put a cap on one end and an elbow on the other. They weighted the capped end with sand or rocks as ballast, and put them in the water; the ballast kept them upright, and a good length of pipe (with the elbow on the end) stuck out above the surface - instant periscope!  =D

They put them in the water so the current would carry them to the Swedish naval base at Karlskrona, where they caused a bit of a furor.

Swedish naval authorities were not amused.
Considering this little incident, I'm not surprised. I do wonder if we'll ever find out just how much they were around in our waters...
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 12:39:35 PM »
Maybe someone was looking for their hat? 

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

CypherNinja

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 03:49:30 PM »
just another coke sub underway
Especailly with the recent spike in the use of drug subs.

The drugrunners aren't submarines, they are semi-submersibles. Basically just boats designed to run really low in the water (mega load capacity) with sealed hatches so they don't flood when the waves wash over them.
“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.
-Marty Beckerman (from a Wired article of all things)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 11:11:18 PM »
US subs operate in that area but like to stay in deep water, >600'.
Couple of things in the story don't pass the smell test. Particularly the "blowing ballast" bit. No reason for a sub already submerged to blow a bunch of bubbles just to go deeper from PD (periscope depth)It would kind of blow the whole stealth thing. The ballast tanks would already have been vented to dive and cycled once submerged to make sure they are clear of air pockets.
Don't know about the Seawolf class boats but the ones I was on couldn't do 20 knots submerged with the periscope (or any other mast) raised, they would bend from the pressure.
Also that in that area IIRC the 100 fathom curve runs somewhere around the 4 nautical miles from shore. Things may have changed but generally subs don't operate submerged in less than 100 fathoms as SOP.
Entirely possible he saw a periscope but IMO he likely embellished his story.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams