Author Topic: Sub Guns, Pistols Stolen From LAPD SWAT  (Read 1712 times)

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Sub Guns, Pistols Stolen From LAPD SWAT
« on: October 19, 2011, 03:05:00 PM »
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011/10/17/submachine-guns-pistols-stolen-from-lapd-swat-training-site/

The 21 MP-5 submachine guns and a dozen Colt 45 automatic pistols were taken from a locked container inside the Kennedy Building on San Pedro Street, police officials said.

The location — which formerly housed clothing firms before it was donated to the LAPD several years ago — is considered a secure site, Deputy Chief Michael Downing told the Associated Press.
Thank goodness that it was a secure facility!

More thanks that the weapons only able to fire 'training ammunition"!  =D
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

freakazoid

• friend
Re: Sub Guns, Pistols Stolen From LAPD SWAT
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 03:19:31 PM »
Possible inside job? A new way to implement Fast and Furious without all the paper trail? Sure would make it easier if they were "stolen".  [tinfoil]
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 03:50:07 PM »
i'm thinking simunitions
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 07:09:55 PM »
Thinking the same thing. Those neat little paintball cartridges.

*ponder*
You know, I've never actually dealt with that stuff while doing any gunsmithing/armorer type stuff. Can anyone shed some light as to what modifications were done?

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 07:14:47 PM »
Thinking the same thing. Those neat little paintball cartridges.

*ponder*
You know, I've never actually dealt with that stuff while doing any gunsmithing/armorer type stuff. Can anyone shed some light as to what modifications were done?

Not sure but willing to guess reduced weight springs to account for reduced powder charges are involved.  Some folks say swapping barrels is also involved but that sort od fuggested a bottlenecked cartridge, no?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 08:32:51 PM »
Even if the stolen guns are Simunitions, they are easily restored to real gun status.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 10:12:33 PM »
I took a quick look at the Simunitions website.

For an MP5, it looks like a barrel sleeve and new locking piece is installed for the Sims, and the 1911 is a new slide/barrel/spring/mag/slide release.

1911 kit

MP5 kit

install videos  The MP5SD vid shows them swapping out a locking piece.

So, yes, pretty easy to swap back if you know how guns work, and have the parts they took off.  Sure any of us here could go right to HKparts.com or robertrtg and grab a couple of MP5 parts and have that thing back up in short order, but the average guy on the street? not so much.  On the 1911's it'd be cheaper to buy an RIA tac than buy and fit a new top end to a stolen frame.

IMHO, if this was a random street thug grabbing guns of opportunity, the odds are pretty high they'll load that MP5 with 9mm and blow it up on the barrel sleeve.  If it was targeted at those guns by someone that knew they were unguarded sim guns, then they're probably already back in working order.  

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 12:00:14 AM »
I'm not surprised, but angry, that law enforcement agencies can have subguns stolen from warehouses, vehicles, hotel rooms, bathrooms, and not receive any punishment. If a Form 4 holder "lost" a subgun, he'd be in for a world of hurt.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 09:42:13 AM »
I'm not surprised, but angry, that law enforcement agencies can have subguns stolen from warehouses, vehicles, hotel rooms, bathrooms, and not receive any punishment. If a Form 4 holder "lost" a subgun, he'd be in for a world of hurt.

So you are saying that they need a Form 4 like the rest of us?  Even if the CLEO would sign off on that one even if he never signs off on any others?

If that's what it takes, I'm all for it.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 10:53:57 AM »
What I'm saying is that the lackadaisical attitude they have with NFA guns is infuriating. I'm imagining that the punishment goes something like this:

ATF agent: "Um, boss, I lost some stuff."
Field office chief: "Really, Bates? What was it?"
ATF agent: "Two HK MP5's, eight Colt M4 select fire carbines, an M32 grenade launcher, and a case of flash bangs."
Office chief: "How did you lose something like that?"
Agent: "I left them on the front seat of my truck while I went for a beer at the Dew Drop Inn."
Office chief: "Dammnit, Bates, now I have about three hours of paperwork to fill out. I'm going to remember this at Christmastime. Now get out of here and go out and shut down more FFL dealers."