Author Topic: Stupidity should be painful  (Read 1625 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Stupidity should be painful
« on: January 05, 2012, 11:00:34 AM »
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2012/01/runaway-dallas-teen-mistakenly-deported-to-colombia/1

So, you are 14 years old, arrested for theft in Dallas, and give a false name that just happens to be the same name of someone wanted in Colombia.  You don't even tell your defense attorney your real name and you end up getting deported to Bogota, where you wind up pregnant and posting on Facebook about how lonely and homesick you are.  Your grandmother finds you from following the 'clues' you left on your Facebook page.  Colombia does not want to send her back.

Please, Colombia, keep her.  Sending her back would only lower the collective IQ of the Dallas area. 

So, she has access to Facebook but apparently does not email anyone back home to tell them where she is.  Far better to leave 'clues' on your Facebook page.

Let me be the first to say, I blame the schools.  Dallas or Colombia, I am not sure which.   ;/

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Stupidity should be painful
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 11:09:45 AM »
In defense of the 14 year old girl, teenagers are generally a very stupid and unthinking bunch. (With outsize estimations of their own knowledge and prowess.)

Making such stupid moves at 14 is not necessarily indicative of irredeemable stupidity. If she were 21, I may agree.

14 year old? Yeah, let's get her back and hope she may have learned.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 11:14:29 AM »
Linked story said she was deported a year ago, and is now pregnant . . .

. . . 14 year old? Yeah, let's get her back and hope she may have learned.

No, actually I'm with MillCreek:

Please, Colombia, keep her. 
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 12:17:56 PM »
In defense of the 14 year old girl, teenagers are generally a very stupid and unthinking bunch. (With outsize estimations of their own knowledge and prowess.)

Making such stupid moves at 14 is not necessarily indicative of irredeemable stupidity. If she were 21, I may agree.

14 year old? Yeah, let's get her back and hope she may have learned.

Not that stupid.
 =|

what the hell was she running away from?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 12:40:20 PM »
Not that stupid.
 =|

what the hell was she running away from?

Yeah.

Actually, that might be a pretty smart way to get out of the USSA if you were desperate enough: no passport / no no-fly list / no airfare.   :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 12:57:00 PM »
Yeah.

Actually, that might be a pretty smart way to get out of the USSA if you were desperate enough: no passport / no no-fly list / no airfare.   :facepalm:

not with that stolen idenity.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 01:06:17 PM »
not with that stolen idenity.

Well, no - but if one were Hispanic didn't/wouldn't show any proof of citizenship  =|

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 01:51:04 PM »
Not that stupid.
 =|

Yes, some can be. If you've run away (for a stupid or even a good reason) and you're scared and don't think you can go home because you messed up so bad, you can do some very stupid things. This is probably not the stupidest thing any such teenager has done. (Or could do.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought