Author Topic: Sub Panel wiring Q  (Read 3176 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Sub Panel wiring Q
« on: September 29, 2014, 03:41:40 PM »
What wiring do I need to run a 100 amp sub panel?  I'm going to have an electrician do the connections, but it's retarded of me to pay for them to supply and run the wiring.  It'll get run through the attic from the South side of the house to the attached garage. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Sub Panel wiring Q
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 04:22:09 PM »
Off the top of my head, you need 4 gauge copper with 75°C or better insulation (like THWN).  The actual ampacity is only 85A, but there's a note in the NEC to specifically allow it.  You can also use 2 gauge aluminum with the right connectors and black goop.

You might wanna verify this before you buy a bunch of expensive wire or cable.

You said 100A, but is that the panel rating or the actual size circuit you want?  (you can use a 100A panel for 60A or 70A service and run smaller wires)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 04:25:37 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 04:35:40 PM »
That how I remember it too but it's been a couple years so I'd look it up in case they changed requirements. And don't buy it 5 feet too short because you forgot to allow for a run. It's a special feeling

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 05:10:59 PM »
There appears to be much disagreement online among people who should know, whether you need #3 or #4 copper.  (assumes  75°C)  The relevant section in the 2011 code is 310.15(B) Table 7, and they are arguing about how to interpret it.

Note that you cannot get by with 90°C smaller wires, because the lugs in the panel are only rated for 75°.
"It's good, though..."

• friends
Sub Panel wiring Q
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 05:12:14 PM »
When in doubt use the heavier rated product but paying for that kinda wire is no joke.
I've never been quite sure what to allow for drop in long runs too so I error on the side of caution

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

zxcvbob

• friend
"It's good, though..."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 05:36:33 PM »
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwire-1-1-1-3-Aluminum-SER-Wire-By-the-Foot-13103790/205001799

Roger that thanks. 

When in doubt use the heavier rated product but paying for that kinda wire is no joke.
I've never been quite sure what to allow for drop in long runs too so I error on the side of caution

Yeah I figured expensive was in the cards but the project is a big part of why we bought this house.  The 20x40 garage and 12x40 office to be  [popcorn]
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 06:02:39 PM »
Electrified midget walking!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 06:28:53 PM »
Mike Holt's forum is where the pros hang out:

http://forums.mikeholt.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 07:41:30 PM »
Mike Holt's is where I looked, and they couldn't agree whether table 7 applied to a subpanel or not.
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 08:32:04 PM »
Mike Holt's is where I looked, and they couldn't agree whether table 7 applied to a subpanel or not.

Heh, heh --

The folks who hang out on Mike Holt's forum (particularly the electrical areas) are either licensed electricians or building (electrical) inspectors -- or both. If they can't agree on what the code says, it's unlikely you'll get agreement anywhere. In that case, it would be prudent to go with the more conservative (larger wire) approach.

• friends
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 08:35:38 PM »
So here's a question then. Do the screws that mount the switch plate count as "conductors in the box"

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 08:46:05 PM »
If you're going the permit route, call your local inspector.  Most of them are happy to answer questions before you start the project.  And they can tell you about the little nooks and crannies of the local requirements, too.  That saved my bacon here recently when I installed my new 200 amp panel in the basement.  Found out I had to have AFCI breakers instead of standard units for circuits serving living areas.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 08:52:33 PM »
If you're going the permit route, call your local inspector.  Most of them are happy to answer questions before you start the project.  And they can tell you about the little nooks and crannies of the local requirements, too.  That saved my bacon here recently when I installed my new 200 amp panel in the basement.  Found out I had to have AFCI breakers instead of standard units for circuits serving living areas.

Ignorant question: how does one locate his local inspector? Yellow Pages?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 08:58:24 PM »
Ignorant question: how does one locate his local inspector? Yellow Pages?

They are usually with the permitting agency, at the city/town or the county level.  Depends on the jurisdiction.  Mine was at the county permit office.  Looked them up at the county website, their names and phone numbers were there.  Plus some information on requirements, but actually talking with the inspectors was the most helpful.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

• friends
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2014, 09:14:25 PM »
Sadly in some areas they are barred from advising you. "Liability issues"

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2014, 10:29:57 PM »
So here's a question then. Do the screws that mount the switch plate count as "conductors in the box"

Not sure if serious.  

No.  But they are conductive (unless you use nylon screws) and should be grounded.  Nylons screws are a great way to deal with an inspector who's being a hardass about about grounding the screws when you have a nonmetallic box and a blank cover.
"It's good, though..."

• friends
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2014, 10:36:28 PM »
I had a nimrod inspector insist those metallic screws entered the box and counted as conductors. Was quite a lil argument for a while took 2 days to get him straightened out. Once upon a time the electrical inspector had to be an electrician usually retired. Not so anymore, they are cross trained. So we get plumbers doing electrical electricians doing plumbing etc. the results are as you might expect . Well usually they are, there was "the incident" where jack helped an electrical inspector out a window, an open one. Albeit on the second floor but the dumpster was right below it the fall was only 4 or so feet, unfortunately

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2014, 10:47:21 PM »

Never heard of that as an interpretation. "Conductors" in code-speak is "wires" for the rest of us.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2014, 10:49:03 PM »
Next time, remember the nylon screws.  You can change them out after he leaves.   ;)
"It's good, though..."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2014, 10:51:02 PM »
Only think I'll add is make sure you have a separate ground and neutral wire, and separate bus's in the sub-panel.

Inspectors usually look for that.  The only place the ground and neutral can be bonded is in the building's main panel board.

For a 100A subpanel, I recall running 2-2-2-4 aluminum SER.  That was for a short run though, you may need to upsise if your run is long enough to cause more then the allowed voltage drop at full ampacity.

• friends
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2014, 10:58:59 PM »
They test the ground rods here now too. We drive two full length anymore just for one service panel. Never used too but it's less hassle than a rejection

• friends
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2014, 11:00:51 PM »
Never heard of that as an interpretation. "Conductors" in code-speak is "wires" for the rest of us.

I think it was a personality conflict and against all,odds the kid won. And that was not the one with the window

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2014, 11:02:56 PM »
They test the ground rods here now too. We drive two full length anymore just for one service panel. Never used too but it's less hassle than a rejection

And on that note, around here, they require that each ground rod be run with it's own copper wire to the main panel.  Size depends on ampacity.  I think when I did my 200 amp panel, the city required 2x ground rods, each with #4 AWG copper wire to the ground bus.

• friends
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2014, 11:15:43 PM »
And don't cut one rod in 1/2 and drive em both in to try and fool em. Or so I hear