Author Topic: Hey fun! A PIN for your gun!  (Read 3922 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Hey fun! A PIN for your gun!
« on: August 06, 2016, 04:00:03 PM »
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

dm1333

• friend
Re: Hey fun! A PIN for your gun!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 09:06:38 PM »
I'm in the "nope" category.......... but

Why not?  Just playing devils advocate.

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 09:11:39 PM »
There's no upside to adding a battery and and electronics to a gun.

griz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 09:53:48 PM »

1. Target shooting aside, if you NEED a gun, you need it NOW, not a couple seconds from now.
2. A motion sensor alarm?  Doesn't that mean you can't carry it in a holster?
3. It adds another failure mode to the gun.

If this thing works, and that's a big if, I can see it being useful for something like a bedside gun where kids or other people could get to it.  But as with most of these ideas, if you can't get the police to use these "safety features", then I don't want to use it either.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 10:03:00 PM »
I'm in the "nope" category.......... but

KISS

Electronics are often stupid, but rarely simple.

Also, as Facebook often demonstrates, if it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 11:33:07 PM »
Even a bed side gun, the reason it is at the bed side is so it is ready to use at a moments notice, not after the number sequence is punched in.  You might as well just get a pistol safe with a quick opening lock of some kind.  IMO, the safe and the gun would both be more reliable than this pistol.

http://www.libertysafe.com/handgun-vault-hd-200-quick-vault-ps-36-pg-125.html
It seems to me that pads like this designed to use even in the dark are much better anyway.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 08:07:28 AM »
Also playing Devil's Advocate:

Insert Quote
Even a bed side gun, the reason it is at the bed side is so it is ready to use at a moments notice, not after the number sequence is punched in.  You might as well just get a pistol safe with a quick opening lock of some kind.  IMO, the safe and the gun would both be more reliable than this pistol.

Why do you think a safe is better?  Same cheap Chinese electronics. (Or conversely same great reliable electronics) You have a point in the "Tactile use fingerpad if it's dark" but that could pretty easily be worked in to the grip of the gun if it was designed by someone who had ever shot.  It would be as fast and reliable as those quick safes, and bunches of those get sold.

There's no upside to adding a battery and and electronics to a gun.

Crazy Talk. 
Flashlights and electro-optical sights are just two of the obvious places to add electronics and batteries. NODs.  If the ATF wouldn't *expletive deleted*it themselves an electro-mechanical trigger like a paintball gun would be sweet in a lot of ways.  Tank main guns have used sensors and computers to adjust for added accuracy for 30 or 40 years.  That would be sweet on a LR bullseye gun.  The market will find new and interesting ways to add electronics, I'm sure.

All that said, I wouldn't buy this because 1. my bedside gun just sits on my nightstand, and I'm fine with that, 2 it's not designed very ergonomically in the keypad area, and 3. I would want to see some testing that the electronics were as rugged as something like an Aimpoint.

But I also think it'd be neat to see some kind of self locking gun on the market for those that wish to buy it.  It's just a shame that as soon as that happens some places and people will try to make it mandatory.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2016, 08:16:13 AM »
The safe also helps keep the gun from being stolen and has more room for the keypad/locking mechanism which means it is easier to design and build it to be reliable.

Flashlights and electrical sights don't usually leave a gun disabled if they fail.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2016, 08:48:58 AM »
True, and I think one of the issues with "Smart Guns" as we've seen them is that they aren't really designed by the type of people that keep loaded guns around and think about how to secure them.  They tend to be designed by folks that read media stories about unlocked guns.

Were I to design a smart gun (and I'm not) I would think one with something like Springfield or Smith's Internal lock to activate it's "smart-ness" Turn the key one way, normal gun.  insert key and turn the other way, internal lock is engaged.  To unlock, type four (or less?)digit code in on buttons placed in the grip (ala crimson trace).

I personally still wouldn't buy one as my situation doesn't make me feel like I need to lock my HD pistol at all, but if something like that were an option, I could see some folks buying it.  You could even add the "motion sensitive alarm" part the OP's gun has for theft protection.

Some folks would complain and grumble, like they did with Smith and Springfield*.  Some folks would buy it.  As long as it's an option, not a requirement, more choices are better.

*Does Springfield still do an ILS system? I haven't heard about it in years.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2016, 10:42:51 AM »
I actually think it is a good idea.  For sporting arms, this is an added layer of security against children using them or having them stolen and used in crimes.  If the market bears out a demand, let it come.
Anyone who suggests it to be mandatory can take a long walk off a short pier. 
For defensive arms it's a horrible idea.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2016, 11:13:49 AM »

But I also think it'd be neat to see some kind of self locking gun on the market for those that wish to buy it.  It's just a shame that as soon as that happens some places and people will try to make it mandatory.

This is 99% of why I'm against it. With a safe (and we have seen in CA) they can also make it "mandatory", but I can easily circumvent the unjust law by not using the safe. Once the feature is built into a gun, it makes it much more difficult to circumvent.

I have one of the Barska "corner safes" that are meant for a defensive long gun and defensive pistol. I got it mostly due to my niece visiting with her toddler, otherwise my guns are out. However, because (for "Chinese crap") the fingerprint reader has been so fast and reliable, I tend to keep my defense shotgun in it, and lock my defensive handgun in it when I leave the house for errands, etc. instead of going through the trouble of opening the combo on the big safe.

Again though, I have the option of using the safe or not. Once features are built in to a gun, I only have the option of buying a gun with or without the feature. If nannys come along, then I may no longer have the option to forego the feature.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2016, 12:05:06 PM »
They should first have a mandatory trial period of, call it half a century, where they are the only guns allowed to be used by the security details of anti-gun politicians. If these are successful, they can be marketed, but not mandatory.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2016, 12:10:26 PM »
. . .  3. It adds another failure mode to the gun.
Exactly why I dislike "The Lock" on most of S&W's current revolvers.

But as with most of these ideas, if you can't get the police to use these "safety features", then I don't want to use it either.
Amen. 

I'll go farther and say I won't use something that police SWAT teams and - most importantly! - the executive protection agents of the United States Secret Service won't use.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2016, 01:03:21 PM »
Also playing Devil's Advocate:

Why do you think a safe is better?  Same cheap Chinese electronics. (Or conversely same great reliable electronics) You have a point in the "Tactile use fingerpad if it's dark" but that could pretty easily be worked in to the grip of the gun if it was designed by someone who had ever shot.  It would be as fast and reliable as those quick safes, and bunches of those get sold.

Why do you want to get a cheap Chinese safe electronics?  Lots of countries make cheap electronics. 

If you combine a reliable safe locking pad to a reliable gun, the combination is not necessarily reliable.  No, none of that can be "easily" worked into the grip of a gun.  You are welcome to depend on it if you choose.  I choose not to.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2016, 05:52:16 PM »
Where is the muzzle pointed while you're fiddling with a keypad on the side of the gun?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2016, 06:00:15 PM »
Also, tactical issue.

What happens when you have more than one SD/HD pistol scattered about and multiple potential users (each with personal guns, but with the understanding that you grab whatever is closest to go) and multiple pins to remember?

We've got multiple loaded guns around here and while I'd hope to be grabbing my XDS, I'll grab whatever is fastest to get my hands on and Dad would be doing the same.

And I can see that translating to some of you guys as well. Middle of the night, you and your wife ended up on different sides of the bed and the gun in the nightstand is hers, not yours. All of a sudden you're scrambling with a gun that is not *yours* (already at a disadvantage) and trying to remember *her* pin.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2016, 07:27:40 PM »
Use the same pin for all of them.  1 2 3 4   :P

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2016, 07:53:44 PM »
If the ATF wouldn't *expletive deleted*it themselves an electro-mechanical trigger like a paintball gun would be sweet in a lot of ways.  Tank main guns have used sensors and computers to adjust for added accuracy for 30 or 40 years.  That would be sweet on a LR bullseye gun.  The market will find new and interesting ways to add electronics, I'm sure.

I believe it was Remington that had once made a rifle with an electronic trigger. They didn't sell well.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2016, 07:59:29 PM »
And I can see that translating to some of you guys as well. Middle of the night, you and your wife ended up on different sides of the bed and the gun in the nightstand is hers, not yours. All of a sudden you're scrambling with a gun that is not *yours* (already at a disadvantage) and trying to remember *her* pin.

Don't worry, it's your anniversary.  :rofl:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2016, 08:21:00 PM »
Use the same pin for all of them.  1 2 3 4   :P
Yeah, same pin as I use on my luggage!

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2016, 08:54:13 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6iW-8xPw3k

That's amazing, the same combination I've got on my luggage!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2016, 09:07:08 PM »
Does this gun have the stripe or the chip?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2016, 09:18:17 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6iW-8xPw3k

That's amazing, the same combination I've got on my luggage!

Shhh! Don't tell ISIS!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2016, 09:53:37 PM »
Does this gun have the stripe or the chip?

Apple-Pay
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!