Author Topic: Subaru Outback tires.  (Read 1223 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Subaru Outback tires.
« on: August 21, 2016, 10:52:08 PM »
I know we have several Lesbaru Outback drivers here.  So I'm looking for tire recommendations.  I have OEM Continentals on my 2013 OB (not the little station wagon one, but bigger SUV type), they are at 59k+ miles and about due to be replaced.   I've seen good things about Continental True Contacts but they run around a buck and a quarter each.  The local Firestone Dealer has Primewell Valera Touring II for $69 each + a 10% discount.   

I'm not racing (hell I think it's only been over 85mph twice).  My car is grocery getter, kid hauler, a couple times a year hunting. (two track dirt roads at worst, I'm not off-roading."  Towing a camper on those trips.   But I'd like something good on snow and ice (I am in the Chicagoland area afterall), that won't kill my mileage, nor make me deaf from road noise.

So what do you have on your Lesbaru Outback?

(And I could have sworn there was a thread on this, but my search-fu is weak tonight)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Subaru Outback tires.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 11:25:02 PM »
For those of us that live where it snows, I'm a big proponent of two sets of wheels, and I recommend General Altimax Arctic during the winter. General is owned by Continental, good performance and reasonable price. Once you drive on dedicated winter tires, you realize how bad all season tires suck in the winter.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 11:37:02 PM »
For those of us that live where it snows, I'm a big proponent of two sets of wheels, and I recommend General Altimax Arctic during the winter. General is owned by Continental, good performance and reasonable price. Once you drive on dedicated winter tires, you realize how bad all season tires suck in the winter.

That's what I do in my 13 lesbian wagon.  The OEM continentals SUCK hard on ice and snow.  Never driven on a worse winter tire.  So I have a set of snow tires for winter (and I take it hunting most every weekend).  I have about the same mileage but it is split between the sets so I'm further out from replacement that Scout.

That said, when they both wear out I am also looking for set of high end all seasons.  Probably about this time next year I'll be looking to buy.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 09:12:55 AM »
My Subaru driving friends really like Goodyear Advantage Triple Tread. We had them on our last car and they were great in the snow.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 09:38:17 AM »
Discount Tires tires on mine.

Don't know specs.  I leave that kind of crap to the pros now.

Outfrikingstanding cutomer service.

Every once in a while I pull in by the big sign that says, "Tire Pressure Check" and they come running out and go over them for tread depth and wear patterns as well as pressures.  (Apparently, unequal tire pressure is bad for the full-time 4WD on Subies.)  

Terry

REF:
https://www.yelp.com/biz/discount-tire-store-lakewood-co-lakewood-7
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 09:55:37 AM »
I usually went with round ones.  When one became non round and didn't want to go back to being round, I stopped at the closest WalMart and had them put something black on to match the others.

If the transmission starts slipping, hug your savings account statement fondly, because it will be a long time before it looks that good again.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 10:03:01 AM »
I usually went with round ones.  When one became non round and didn't want to go back to being round, I stopped at the closest WalMart and had them put something black on to match the others.

Going cheap is fine if that's something you want to do and you live where you don't have to worry about a winter-full of snow and ice. The OP specifically asked about winter driving though, and that's a condition where you don't want to cheap out. It'll end up being more expensive in body repairs (both vehicle and driver).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 10:31:48 AM »
Also with full-time AWD, having matching tires is important otherwise you can cause damage to the drivetrain and wear the tires faster and unevenly making it more unsafe to drive.

Plus I'm driving a newer car, not a clapped out POS with a salvage title and a jerry rigged gas can in the trunk making it a rolling IED.  Tell me again what are you currently driving again?  If it's not a recent model Subaru, then piss off...

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 10:33:55 AM »
Going cheap is fine if that's something you want to do and you live where you don't have to worry about a winter-full of snow and ice. The OP specifically asked about winter driving though, and that's a condition where you don't want to cheap out. It'll end up being more expensive in body repairs (both vehicle and driver).

What we tend to get when we get a spot of bad winter is just plain sheet ice; nothing short of studs or chains is going to help much.

Honestly, when I drove from McKinney to Stephenville on ice one New Year's morning, it was on two half-bald and two reasonably new of the cheapest the local tire store had.  I was keeping up with the 18 wheelers, (at 25-35mph) and people who passed us ended up in the ditch no matter what tires they had, from all-seasons to jacked up 4WD pickups on those buzzing mudgrips.

It was entertaining, though; I sort of made a game of noting distinguishing characteristics of everything that passed, and betting myself how much farther they'd make it.  Only one was unaccounted for by the time I made it home.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 10:38:29 AM »
Also with full-time AWD, having matching tires is important otherwise you can cause damage to the drivetrain and wear the tires faster and unevenly making it more unsafe to drive.

And don't forget to adjust the position of the seats to keep the CG exactly centered between the axles so you don't confuse the poor thing there too.

Plus I'm driving a newer car, not a clapped out POS with a salvage title and a jerry rigged gas can in the trunk making it a rolling IED.

The Subaru never had that.  Frankly, as bad as it was about getting the system primed when it ran out, I'd have needed a 5 gallon can just to get it started again.

Tell me again what are you currently driving again?  If it's not a recent model Subaru, then piss off...

"Recent" is a relative term.  And if they've gotten that cranky about matching the tires since mine, then it doesn't sound like a term to brag about.  I (and the previous owner) only replaced tires in pairs, because they don't wear evenly.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 11:06:34 AM »
Your input is neither wanted nor desired.   I'm asking members who have Subarus, built in this century, preferably ones built within the last 3-4 years. for their experiences.   None of which you have.  What part of "Piss Off" is confusing you?

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 11:23:15 AM »
What part of "Piss Off" is confusing you?

The part where you think I care.

You want only professional advice, dig out your wallet and go ask at a dealership.  You ask on here, you take what you get.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 01:42:51 PM »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 01:48:46 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 02:28:16 PM »

You'd need to fab a set of these mounts.  OTOH, you could run studded tires pretty cheaply.  I wonder if bladed spokes would finally make a real difference...

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2016, 02:49:32 PM »
I had a Subaru Legacy in the 90's, and it did fine on ice and snow with any decent all-season radials -- until you wanted to stop.  The ABS was awful; even worse than my 2WD pickup.

There are all-season tires that are rated for severe snow service.  That's what I'm gonna put on my truck next time it gets new shoes.  Look for the "mountain snowflake" symbol on the sidewall.  I assume they are available in passenger car sizes.
"It's good, though..."

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2016, 02:55:17 PM »

I came here to post that.

And I'll add this- Altimax Arctics are great between mid-October and mid-April.  They are siped, the rubber is soft, and their dry pavement traction is seductive, but dont be lured into driving them all year - they wear quickly on warm pavement.  Ninety miles north east of Chicago they've logged 6 seasons and about 45k miles, and have several years of tread left. 1994 MB e320, a heavy car. An added benefit of 2 sets of shoes is it forces regular rotation and they can be dropped off for balancing.  I store mine with a piece of masking tape labeled with the position. (e.g. "from LF").

OOPS, sorry, based on the criteria specified above, I'm not qualified to comment.
7-11 was a part time job.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2016, 03:47:39 PM »
The part where you think I care.

You want only professional advice, dig out your wallet and go ask at a dealership.  You ask on here, you take what you get.

No.  I want to here from the people here, who I know and trust, about their actual experiences with tires for Subarus.   I'm not going to make my own out of cactus paddle, old bicycle tires, and some JB Weld.

Now, the banschwerk is currently glowing and levitating. You've have your smartass time. Make my day....

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2016, 04:28:20 PM »
Now, the banschwerk is currently glowing and levitating. You've have your smartass time. Make my day....

Again, when you pay, I care.  Want to ban me for that, go right ahead.  Show us all just what a big man you are.  Just make sure to clearly label it "I DON' WIKE WAHS ON MY SKWEEN!!!! IT MUS GO WAY!!!!  I DON WANNA JUS SKWOLL PAS IT.  I MUS DESTWOY!!!"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2016, 06:11:48 PM »
Have a Snickers, Scout.

You're being an ahole.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2016, 06:54:12 PM »
Ok, this going no where fast
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536