Author Topic: Christianity question  (Read 17235 times)

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
Re: Christianity question
« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2009, 03:01:03 AM »
In a gesture of inter-faith goodwill, I suggest a Christian-Pagan alliance get together to chuck Fisty into a mudhole.

Hey now, don't go leaving the Heathens out of the alliance. We like a good mudhole chucking as well as anyone. Especially when it involves Fistful.  =D
Hi.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2009, 04:25:11 AM »
>Let's pick one that's already an EPA "Sooperfun" site, then after Fisty let's chuck all the policritters in too...<

Damn... not sure who I should feel sorry for in that scenario...

No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2009, 11:05:22 AM »
Hey now, don't go leaving the Heathens out of the alliance. We like a good mudhole chucking as well as anyone. Especially when it involves Fistful.  =D

Meh, Heathens, Pagans.. you people all look alike to me... :P  :lol:
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2009, 12:29:58 PM »
As long as Sarah Palin is one of the policritters, chuck away.  I can handle a little mud-wrestling.   :laugh:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2009, 01:25:24 PM »
She would break you.

And you'd love every minute of it.

So no: no throwing Mrs. Palin in the mud with you. We have someone BETTER to throw in:

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Jimmy Dean

• friend
« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2009, 01:33:54 PM »
Centrally, that Jesus of Nazareth was crucified, died, was buried and then rose, and the meaning that this event has.

I stopped reading the whole thing...it is long, but this is incorrect, because most Jews do believe that Jesus existed, and Muslim doctrine teaches the same as well.  Christians believe that Jesus is the Son of God, not just a prophet.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2009, 05:28:20 PM »
I stopped reading the whole thing...it is long, but this is incorrect, because most Jews do believe that Jesus existed, and Muslim doctrine teaches the same as well.  Christians believe that Jesus is the Son of God, not just a prophet.

You apparently stopped reading after "Nazareth."   ???

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2009, 05:34:40 PM »
My understanding of this (and I haven't done that much digging), is that there's all manner of historical evidence both ways as to whether or not "Jesus" (a single man the stories of the bible talks about) existed.

Not sure about Judaism, but I do know that the Muslims believe Jesus existed: they consider him another prophet.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2009, 05:48:09 PM »
My understanding of this (and I haven't done that much digging), is that there's all manner of historical evidence both ways as to whether or not "Jesus" (a single man the stories of the bible talks about) existed.

There is historical evidence, besides the Bible, of a man named Jesus (or the Aramaic version of that name) that lived during the time of Caiphas, Pilot, etc and that such a man was executed by crucifiction.  I can't remember what that source was, but I do remember hearing about it.  I think there are also some accounts of a rabble rouser fitting the descriptions of Jesus and his activities in the Greek and Roman histories of the time period.  But the Bible is far and away the most detailed of all accounts of his life and death.

Not sure about Judaism, but I do know that the Muslims believe Jesus existed: they consider him another prophet.

That is my understanding as well.  Jews, as far as I can tell, if they even acknowledge that Jesus existed at all would lable him as no more than a generic (if crazy) rabbi, and otherwise indistinguishable from any other low level rabbi of the time.
Formerly sumpnz

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2009, 11:12:25 PM »
My imperfect understanding is that Muslims believe Jesus was a prophet of God, who was sentenced to crucifixion.  But then he was miraculously rescued, and someone (perhaps Judas) was miraculously put on the cross in his place. 

That's my understanding, anyway.

Also, from what I've read, the idea that Jesus never existed is a theory that was popular a long time ago, but no longer considered very credible.  The Jewish/Roman historian Josephus wrote of Jesus, I thought Tacitus did as well. 

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2009, 12:38:05 AM »
She would break you.

And you'd love every minute of it.

So no: no throwing Mrs. Palin in the mud with you. We have someone BETTER to throw in:

Coincidence?

Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2009, 08:31:21 AM »
Sigh.  Its pretty sad when one of the resident Atheists has to put forth evidence of Jesus' existance...  [popcorn]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_Jesus#Greco-Roman_sources

Cornelius Tacitus is probably the best extra-biblical source for the the existance of Jesus.  People believed Him when He said who He was, and likely followed him in droves.  That probably created quite a stir. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2009, 08:44:50 AM »
Sigh.  Its pretty sad when one of the resident Atheists has to put forth evidence of Jesus' existance...  [popcorn]

Cornelius Tacitus is probably the best extra-biblical source for the the existance of Jesus.  People believed Him when He said who He was, and likely followed him in droves.  That probably created quite a stir. 

It was however a very popular academia/inteligentsia notion in the 60's and 70's.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2009, 09:14:52 AM »
     It was however a very popular academia/inteligentsia notion in the 60's and 70's.

So was hte use of LSD and PCP as mind-enhancing drugs.

Coincidence?  I think not.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #89 on: December 20, 2009, 09:16:15 AM »
Let's pick one that's already an EPA "Sooperfun" site, then after Fisty let's chuck all the policritters in too...

Well, there's an old swamp up near Maryland ...
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #90 on: December 20, 2009, 10:10:23 AM »
Sigh.  Its pretty sad when one of the resident Atheists has to put forth evidence of Jesus' existance... 

Every once in a while, we just like to give you deniers a chance to sound edumacated.   :P   :angel:

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #91 on: December 20, 2009, 02:19:09 PM »

Cornelius Tacitus is probably the best extra-biblical source for the the existence of Jesus.  People believed Him when He said who He was, and likely followed him in droves.  That probably created quite a stir. 

The new testament documents themselves are good historical documents.

Richard Bauckham's Jesus and the Eyewitnesses is supposed to be very good on this.  (Too much queued up now, I'm unlikely to get to it any time soon.)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.