Author Topic: Need suggestions for 1911 parts  (Read 1814 times)

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
Need suggestions for 1911 parts
« on: January 20, 2011, 08:30:34 PM »
As some may know, I just got back from the Bikers Against Child Abuse International Conference.

While there, the idea was floated to do a limited number of "BACA 1911's". Somehow, I got tasked with working up a price estimate.

Anybody have any suggestions for where I could find "blank" 1911 frames and slides, preferably in stainless?
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Need suggestions for 1911 parts
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 08:31:49 PM »
Hmm.... Sacro has good prices on parts, but doesn't have frames.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 08:37:59 PM »
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 08:40:21 PM »
Brownell's (reseller) and Wilson Combat jump to mind. Recent comments suggest Caspian's quality has been slipping. Parts and kits at Fusion Firearms enjoy a good reputation at 1911Forum.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 08:46:57 PM »
Fusion is basically a reseller, and their prices aren't what I consider "reasonable." I've seen no indications that Caspian's quality is slipping. There's no reason why it should -- it is still run by the same family and still has pretty much the same work force.

Essex used to make frames and slides that were a bit less expensive than Caspian (and commensurately less accurate in the machining), but they moved from Vermont to Florida about a year ago and as far as I know they are still not operational in the new location.

I'd recommend Caspian. As a side note, Caspian occasionally has "appearance rejects" that are fully functional but may have a scratch or a gouge that makes it unacceptable as a first-tier product. The sell those off at discounted prices under the name Foster Industries, through a separate web site in the Foster name. If they happen to have what you want, they may have some killer deals.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 08:49:45 PM »
As some may know, I just got back from the Bikers Against Child Abuse International Conference.

While there, the idea was floated to do a limited number of "BACA 1911's". Somehow, I got tasked with working up a price estimate.

Anybody have any suggestions for where I could find "blank" 1911 frames and slides, preferably in stainless?

Blank frames and slides?  It almost sounds like you'd be doing the assembling.

Look into one of the companies that already make 1911s, one with a decent rep for quality and support, and see if they'll do a commemorative run. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 08:53:07 PM »
My comment regarding Caspian is based on this: http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/2010/05/building-perfect-beast.html

I have no axe to grind. Those comments seemed fairly well-informed. I did not know that Fusion did not manufacture their parts.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 09:10:49 PM »
If it were a gun for me, starting from a bare frame and slide, I'd request Caspian.  

You might try contacting Springfield and Kimber and Colt and ask if they can do a special run of a guns for you.  It'd depend on what quantity you want, and how much deviation you'd want from a standard product, but surely at least one of them would be willing to work with you.  
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 09:50:30 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 09:14:40 PM »
I was thinking about sending you to Bob Rodgers but he is still backlogged.

http://www.rodgerspistolsmithing.com/

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 09:32:11 PM »
All I'm really looking at is custom lettering and serial number, and a set of custom grips (I can do the grips)

Want the frame to have the BACA logo, and read "Model 2131"

Ideally, the serial would also be 2131.

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 09:40:14 PM »
STI will do custom serial numbers. I suspect they would also run a logo.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 10:30:50 PM »
My comment regarding Caspian is based on this: http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/2010/05/building-perfect-beast.html

I have no axe to grind. Those comments seemed fairly well-informed. I did not know that Fusion did not manufacture their parts.

I've built three (or is it four?) 1911s on Caspian frames. Two used Caspian slides. No complaints here. As for the comment about "ask any custom pistolsmith" ... I haven't heard any complaints about Caspian from any well-known 1911 'smith.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 11:12:00 PM »
All I'm really looking at is custom lettering and serial number, and a set of custom grips (I can do the grips)

Want the frame to have the BACA logo, and read "Model 2131"

Ideally, the serial would also be 2131.
Pardon my curiosity, but what's the significance of 2131?

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 11:34:49 PM »
Personally, I'd go with "standard" frames - they aren't going to be that many areas on the lower frame to personalize anyway.

You can mail the upper slide pretty much anywhere. And I'd guess that it'd be fairly simple to chunk one into a CNC mill...
Blog under construction

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 11:47:16 PM »
"2131 = BACA"

It's a biker thing...

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 10:20:42 AM »

One thing to be aware of:

Caspian manufactures frames, slides, and some small parts. They do not assemble and sell complete pistols. While they can (and do) make frames for custom 'smiths who are themselves manufacturers, and they put that 'smith's name on the frames as the "manufacturer," if I buy one frame from Caspian to build for myself it has to be delivered through an FFL just as if it were a completed firearm, and it shows Caspian on the frame as the manufacturer.

However, if I were to buy ten or twenty or fifty frames in one batch, even though I might not have them put my name on instead of Caspian as the manufacturer, once you get into quantities you enter the world of manufacturing, and that brings in the spectre of BATFE compliance. You need to determine roughly how many guns will be involved in this "limited run" and find out if it's enough guns that whoever assembles them is going to be regarded as a manufacturer. If so, that person or company needs to have an FFL as a manufacturer (I don't remember if that's the same FFL as a corner gun shop, or different).

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 11:22:18 AM »
If so, that person or company needs to have an FFL as a manufacturer (I don't remember if that's the same FFL as a corner gun shop, or different).

FFL 01 = Dealer/Gun Shop
FFL 07 = Manufacturer

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 03:02:02 PM »
Call Caspian and ask lots of questions. They do this a lot. http://www.caspianarmsltd.com/

You could also break open the piggy banks and call Guncrafter. A run of their Model #3 in .50GI would be pretty badass. http://www.guncrafterindustries.com/

But anyway, yeah. Caspian.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 07:35:21 PM »
Call any manufacturer of 1911's and ask the question. 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon