Author Topic: The thin layer of warmth.  (Read 6562 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
The thin layer of warmth.
« on: December 20, 2007, 05:32:30 PM »
They say the way to stay warm in your sleeping bag is to strip down to your birthday suit.  In the many survival manuals I've consulted, they all seem to be agreed on that point.  But I say it ain't so. 

In my experience, a thin layer of cloth next to the body makes a huge difference in staying warm.  This seems apparent to me, in my own bed at night.  A blanket or comforter by itself is not nearly so warm as a comforter lying on top of a cotton sheet. 

I've also found this to be true in the field, as I find a pair of socks, under-drawers and a t-shirt (or even long underwear) keeps me far warmer inside a sleeping bag, than just curling up nude.  I've determined to try wrapping up in a standard, cotton bed sheet inside my sleeping bag, but I haven't done much cold-weather camping in recent years. 

Some years back, I took the Boulder Outdoor Survival two-week course.  It gets a bit chilly, sleeping out in the desert in May.  But one of our intrepid number (who allegedly lived in a cave in California) chose to wrap up only in a cotton bed sheet, while the rest of us used wool blankets.  I wouldn't want to try that without a blanket handy for back-up, but it seemed OK for him.  He also wore a loin cloth, but the most disconcerting thing about him was the Mountain Man beard with the California surfer accent.  But I digress.

This all springs to mind recently, because I had to spend much of my weekend shoveling snow (a whole lot of it.)  The temperatures were in the twenties, and I thought I would need my totally awesome Army surplus half/wool, half/cotton thermal shirt.  But since I was wearing a "heavy-weight" t-shirt under my usual work shirt, I only needed to add a jacket. 

What think you? 

Before anyone else springs on this - yes, we know that cotton loses its insulating properties when wet.  Therefore, some other thin material might be preferable.   smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: The thin layer of warmth.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 05:37:45 PM »
Thermal undies inside the sleeping bag, nothing else.  I've been outside on a lot of cold nights before.  Occasionally I've given in to the temptation to put on a sweater or a jacket.  It never works, I always get colder afterwards.  Don't know how or why this is so, I just know that it is.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 06:19:17 PM »
The birthday suit thing works best with two in the sleeping bag Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ron

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 07:00:51 PM »
In my sleeping bag I wear an ultrathin merino wool shirt and Patagonia capiline long johns. Mostly because I want to keep my expensive down bag from getting too funky.

They say the way to stay warm in your sleeping bag is to strip down to your birthday suit.  In the many survival manuals I've consulted, they all seem to be agreed on that point.
If you are wet or sweaty the best thing to do is get out of those clothes before you get in your bag.

To stay warm in your bag when it is cold you should always eat a snack at night before sleep, give your body some fuel to burn. Stay hydrated during the day, it is easy to lose a lot of moisture through your breathing when it is cold out. Boil water then put it in your Nalgene bottle, bring the bottle in your bag with you. Use an insulated sleeping pad, you lose an incredible amount of heat to the ground otherwise. Wear DRY wool socks to sleep. Before you lay down to sleep generate some heat by doing some situps in your bag, raise your core temp.

During the day polypropylene with wool layers over it will keep you toasty warm. I use a combination of synthetics like polypro, fleece, and a Goretex hardshell combined with natural wool to stay warm in extreme cold. Often I will even use my merino wool as a base layer instead of the polypropylene. 

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 07:42:53 PM »
I've become more and more impressed with wool clothing over the years.  My Filson wool coat is always just the right amount of warmth, it blocks wind and light rain, and after three years of hard use it shows zero signs of wear.

Merino wool thermal undies have become my secret weapon.  They're always comfortable.  They always provide just the right amount of warmth.  They never smell.  They last forever.  Merino is quite possibly the perfect material for insulation layers.

Next on my list is a wool cycling jersey.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 07:45:50 PM »
A sleeping bag is also a lot nicer if you'd started one of those handwarmer packs and tossed it into the bag at least a half-hour before sleeping.  smiley

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 07:46:57 PM »
If layers are the key to warmth (trapping air between each layer) - why doesn't that principle hold up at night?
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 08:25:37 PM »
Have you pissed your pants again?

That might be giving you your "think layer of warmth."

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 01:46:12 AM »
The image of you old guys nude in a sleeping bag is not what I needed this morning.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 02:32:30 AM »
I do plenty of cold weather camping, and I stay clothed inside my bag.  T shirt, jeans, wool socks.  Jacket sits right outside the bag.
I have a USGI extreme cold bag and I stay toasty warm.

For those of you who strip down to undies, how much fun is it when you wake up at night and have to climb out of your bag to pee? 

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 02:53:20 AM »
Declaration day,
Just keep an empty plastic bottle handy....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 03:08:10 AM »
Declaration day,

Yeah, that would work, to each his own.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 03:49:15 AM »
Declaration day,

Its the modern day chamber pot!
 angel
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2007, 04:56:21 AM »
I found that a wearing a base layer. like Under Armor on cold nights (under 35) works well in sleeping bags. I'm too cheap to buy Under Armor so I use this brand called Body Sensors, its like 1/3 the cost and just as effective.

When its above 70 I wear just a pair of basketball shorts when camping.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ron

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2007, 05:30:34 AM »
Declaration day,

I use a gallon ziplock bag.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2007, 05:33:30 AM »
Declaration day,

Its the modern day chamber pot!
 angel

wide mouth gatorade bottles work best.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2007, 05:33:52 AM »
Next on my list is a wool cycling jersey.

I have one made by Earth, Wind, Rain for my mountain bike club (a steal at $75).  It's great, even in hot weather.  I may have to get the long sleeve version as well.

As for the sleeping bag, I do almost all of my camping in the winter.  I strip down to my base layer (Underarmour ColdGear) and socks.  I'm a "cold sleeper", so I use a -15 bag when the night temps are below 35deg.  My "warm weather" bag is a 15deg bag.

Chris

grampster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2007, 05:39:13 AM »
All those bottles for pee pee are fine.  Just don't forget what's in there when you wake up groggy at 3AM and are thirsty. shocked shocked

I have a very light weight leather jacket made from lambskin with an acetate lining.
I noticed if I wear a cotton Tshirt and a fleece hoodie under it, I stay nice and warm when walking or blowing snow around.  The leather really blocks out the wind.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Joe Demko

• friend
  • Marko Kloos was right about you.
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2007, 05:43:05 AM »
The image of you old guys nude in a sleeping bag is not what I needed this morning.

Why?  Some of us are pretty cute.
That's right... I'm a Jackbooted Thug AND a Juvenile Indoctrination Technician.  Deal with it.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2007, 05:43:29 AM »
All those bottles for pee pee are fine.  Just don't forget what's in there when you wake up groggy at 3AM and are thirsty. shocked shocked

I have a very light weight leather jacket made from lambskin with an acetate lining.
I noticed if I wear a cotton Tshirt and a fleece hoodie under it, I stay nice and warm when walking or blowing snow around.  The leather really blocks out the wind.

That's why I cap them and then toss them outside the tent.
JD

Ron

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2007, 06:04:28 AM »
All those bottles for pee pee are fine.  Just don't forget what's in there when you wake up groggy at 3AM and are thirsty.

Not a problem with a gallon freezer baggie. Also if you have to go more than once in the night there is plenty of room. Dump and rinse it out in the morning and it packs up smaller than a bottle.

As for the sleeping bag, I do almost all of my camping in the winter.  I strip down to my base layer (Underarmour ColdGear) and socks.  I'm a "cold sleeper", so I use a -15 bag when the night temps are below 35deg.  My "warm weather" bag is a 15deg bag.
I'm a cold sleeper also. Most of my backpacking trips are in the spring or fall when it only occasionally gets below freezing, yet I chose a 15 degree bag. Marmot Helium 15, absolutely great bag.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2007, 06:28:56 AM »
I've given up on backpacking, and actually intend to find a used camper in '08.
I'm thinking pop-up, but might go with a hard side camper if the right deal comes along.  Of course when that happens, I won't have to pee in a gatorade bottle, either.
 laugh
JD

Ron

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2007, 06:48:01 AM »
I'm thinking pop-up, but might go with a hard side camper if the right deal comes along.  Of course when that happens, I won't have to pee in a gatorade bottle, either.
 laugh

I would like to combine both and take a small camper on road trips and leave it at a trail head or camp ground as a base camp.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2007, 07:46:25 AM »
 laugh

Well I'm contemplating selling the pop-up I bought new in '04.  Still paying for it and it almost never gets used.  I'll let you know first if I make that decision.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2007, 10:30:57 AM »

Well I'm contemplating selling the pop-up I bought new in '04.  Still paying for it and it almost never gets used.  I'll let you know first if I make that decision.

I may be interested.  I want something with a storage bin on the front and shower/shitter at a minimum, and preferably a tip out for the dinette. 
JD