Author Topic: The thin layer of warmth.  (Read 6561 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: The thin layer of warmth.
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2007, 10:45:41 AM »
We have a 17' hardside trailer that is going on 40 years old.  Nice, with a heater and refrigerator, but with gas prices all it gets used for anymore is as a guest house.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2007, 11:00:56 AM »
We have a 17' hardside trailer that is going on 40 years old.  Nice, with a heater and refrigerator, but with gas prices all it gets used for anymore is as a guest house.

That's a good part of the reason I don't use my pop-up any more.  I can go camping with my Jeep and a small tent for 1/4 the fuel cost of hauling my camper with my land-barge Chevy pickup.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2007, 11:40:36 AM »
Dry is the key.

If you have been laboring up a mountain all afternoon and get in your bag damp, yer gonna freeze.

On umpteen Boy Scout campouts, I always stayed warmer in my "Snoopy" bag and dry shorts than other folks in their super duper Everest Expedition XYZ with damp clothes.

Kiddo has a Slumberjack 20 degree bag and I have a The North Face "something or other". Got it on sale at Camper's Warehouse or whatever for $100 or so. We've always been comfortable.

This is my last season with that bag, though, I want a rectangular one with more foot room.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2007, 12:44:45 PM »
That's a good part of the reason I don't use my pop-up any more.  I can go camping with my Jeep and a small tent for 1/4 the fuel cost of hauling my camper with my land-barge Chevy pickup.

Plus you can get into a lot more remote spots. Smiley

I've been wanting for several years to get myself one of those canvas "range teepees" for camping with a vehicle.  Only 2 poles, and you can stand up to pull your pants on in the morning.  Only problem is that I don't ever go camping anymore because I live on 40 acres of pine trees so what's the point?  Plus there are the horses to take care of every day.

I would like to go camping with the horses someday, but there again is the cost of gas to pull a stock trailer somewhere.  I guess I could just go camp out on the neighbors' ranch, but that seems like a lot of work when I can just do day rides, and sleep in my own bed at night.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

JohnBT

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2007, 01:33:40 PM »
I have an inexpensive nylon sleeping bag that's warm enough for winter duck season, but the nylon is slick and cold. I bought a $20 fleece 'sleeping bag' at one of the big box stores and it fits perfectly in the big bag. It's almost as nice as real flannel sheets against my skin.

Here's one for $14.99 at Sports Authority. www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1419296

John

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2007, 01:34:21 PM »
I'm actually not much of a camper.  I do it out of necessity when I go fishing or mountain biking.  I'd actually use the camper more than tent camping I do believe, as I'm thourghly fed up with tent camping.
For instance, I went to a bike race in PA in OCT.  I would have camped that night in a tent camper, rather than drive up at 0600 sunday morning.
I will probably modify a tent camper with a slight lift and bigger tires for those semi remote locations.  
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2007, 03:22:26 PM »
Jamis

Get a slide in pickup camper for your F250. They have showers and shitters on board.

If you ever ever passing through Iowa and need a place to park for the night, I fully expect to see you out in the front yard in a bathrobe pumping sewage down the storm drain with a beer in your hand.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2007, 03:29:01 PM »
Jamis

Get a slide in pickup camper for your F250. They have showers and shitters on board.

If you ever ever passing through Iowa and need a place to park for the night, I fully expect to see you out in the front yard in a bathrobe pumping sewage down the storm drain with a beer in your hand.

-C

Thought about it, but I prefer to have the truck bed available for gear like bikes.
You bet.  And who needs a bathrobe....  angel
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”