Author Topic: Tinnitus anyone?  (Read 2556 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Tinnitus anyone?
« on: January 06, 2013, 04:44:10 PM »
hi all, I have the worst internet connection of anyone in the history of everything, that's why I have not been around to assail you with my wit and charm.

Anyway, being surrounded by silence lately has meant I've been noticing my tinnitus a lot more, I'm sure a few here have had similar being that a lot of us have shot guns and been to loud concerts.

Any of you here have an idea what works for relief?

Thanks, hopefully I can be back here sometime before the next election =|
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Tinnitus anyone?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 04:45:56 PM »
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 05:08:25 PM »
No thanks, I've got plenty.

What? Oh, you want to know about getting relief.
I'm not sure there is any.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 05:11:27 PM »
What did you say?  =D

Sorry, no idea what you can do for relief from the ringing.  I have it in my right ear, with the 'sound' sometimes being a single tone, sometimes several tones.  I have significant high frequency hearing loss on that ear as well, so the low frequency sentativity seems to have increased to compensate.

I think loud parties, Metal bars and concerts played a big role in this for me at least.  Not shooting, since I ALWAYS wear both ear plugs and muff when shooting.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 05:11:33 PM »
No thanks, I've got plenty.

What? Oh, you want to know about getting relief.
I'm not sure there is any.

what? WHAT!? oh  :cool: :P
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 05:39:21 PM »
yes, no
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 05:42:23 PM »
I'd be happy to talk to you about tinnitus, but I can't hear you from all the ringing in my ears.  I'd like to find some relief, too.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 06:02:32 PM »
Somebody answer the damned phone! 

(It seems to me that quieter moments do crank up the tinnitus for me, too...  =( )
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 06:10:39 PM »
Try some white noise in the background is the only thing I know.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 06:18:42 PM »
Add the following to your diet: brewer's yeast, vitamin A, vitamin E, vitamins B-6 and B-12.

Delete the following from your diet: folic acid, iron, excessive amounts of vitamins A, E, B-6 and B-12.

Get a white-noise generator, or leave the tractor motor running (your choice on how to address Globular Wormering and the economy).

Get a hobby.  Stop obsessing over it.  Take antidepressants and antipsychotics.

Drive an ice pick through your eardums.

Prescription hearing aids greatly improved the condition - the ringing and buzzing was orders of magnitude clearer and louder than without the hearing aids.

Personally, since the constant background noise is just that, I remind folks that I am blind in both ears and deaf in one eye, so they will need to repeat themselves over and over again until I can understand what they are saying.  After about x attempts they give up and go looking for some paper to write on.  That allows me to go slapping all my pockets to look for my reading glasses, as well as taking their glasses off their head to see if they work.

On the other hand, I am often accused of shouting at people.  I am not shouting - I just need to speak loudly enough to hear what I am saying.  When the voice goes I'm legally changing my name to "Tommy".

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 06:23:47 PM »
I just ignore it and it goes away until some moron silly goose brings it up. >:D
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Lee

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 09:11:09 PM »
The voices in my head drown it out.

Seriously though, mine comes and goes, and I don't know why. I'm just happy when it goes.
I've got a bad cold right now, so it's taken on the low hum of a blower motor.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 10:11:17 PM »
I just ignore it and it goes away until some moron silly goose brings it up.
Thread win.

I forgot all about the tinnitus until I read this thread. :facepalm:

I used to shot A LOT of trap, and earpro was pretty much considered optional then.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 10:19:43 PM »
Mines awful

Explodey *expletive deleted*it in Iraq made worse by several years of playing with rock bands
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 10:26:20 PM »
My first few years of shooting were with my Grandfather, what ear and eye protection? My glucose issues also gets the bells ringing.

Annoying as hell.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 10:59:40 PM »
My first few years of shooting were with my Grandfather, what ear and eye protection?

My father whenever he sees me breaking out eye and ear pro to shoot, use tools, etc "you don't need that *expletive deleted*it, those safety glasses just get in the way". I swear the man's brilliant on a lot of stuff but when it comes to safety stuff he's a dumbass...

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 04:05:36 AM »
I'm glad I have tinnitus. That ringing is the only dang thing I hear well.
It started age 12 when a high power rifle went off in the gun rack of an old ranch truck while bouncing across a hay field. Later I worked security for loud concerts in the 1970s like AC/DC Aerosmith ZzTop Ted Nugent and then I was a bartender and bouncer in a college town bar. I ain't heard much but this ringing for 30 years.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 04:54:43 AM »
My father whenever he sees me breaking out eye and ear pro to shoot, use tools, etc "you don't need that *expletive deleted*, those safety glasses just get in the way". I swear the man's brilliant on a lot of stuff but when it comes to safety stuff he's a dumbass...

I was helping my new neighbor cut down and cut up a monster oak on his place. I got some funny looks when I pulled out the safety glasses and muffs before I fired up my saw. New neighbor kind of chuckled at me about them. I didn't mind, I wasn't the one that got to make a trip to the ER 20 minutes later with a wood chip in the eye. No permanent injury but he was wear safety glasses the next time.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 05:00:22 AM »
Tinnitus....is my constant companion. I use the cheapest box fan I can find to make white noise while I sleep. I don't look for the quietest. I also discovered that the statins will ramp up my tinnitus to a level that made me wonder if others could hear it. So, no statins and no aspirin in my daily medication regimen. Good thing my artieries were clean as the proverbial whistles when I was cath'd early last year. The cardiologist even said that if I was taking them to stop.

bob

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 06:27:05 AM »
My father whenever he sees me breaking out eye and ear pro to shoot, use tools, etc "you don't need that *expletive deleted*, those safety glasses just get in the way". I swear the man's brilliant on a lot of stuff but when it comes to safety stuff he's a dumbass...

Know the feeling.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2013, 01:51:49 PM »
yup, my late relatives thought safety precautions were useless.

I too have noticed OTC and other medications aggravate it, I read somewhere a yr ago a new treatment was being developed - something like they shock you with electricity to reboot your brain but I cant find the article.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2013, 02:22:37 PM »
yup, my late relatives thought safety precautions were useless.

I too have noticed OTC and other medications aggravate it, I read somewhere a yr ago a new treatment was being developed - something like they shock you with electricity to reboot your brain but I cant find the article.

Ive got some car batteries and a pair of jumper cables. Just holler at me when you are ready.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 03:18:19 PM »
steroids i'm on seem to have quieted mine.  power tools are bad too. and higher frequencies at that
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2013, 06:40:40 PM »
Ive got some car batteries and a pair of jumper cables. Just holler at me when you are ready.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gcljvnc4a3k

birdman

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2013, 10:28:17 PM »
steroids i'm on seem to have quieted mine.  power tools are bad too. and higher frequencies at that

Specifically circular saws.  After just a few years of construction, while I bottom out a hearing test everywhere else, I'm deaf as a freakin post at like 3-4kHz (tooth frequency on a 3600rpm, 50-70 tooth saw).  Unfortunately, that's right in the range of speech.  Oops.