Author Topic: EEK! (somewhat frightening landing photo)  (Read 4435 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
EEK! (somewhat frightening landing photo)
« on: October 27, 2013, 12:17:48 PM »
Fly320 - I'm guessing this is not standard/correct procedure for putting one of these on the ground......    :O

Photo Courtesy of FlightAware.com
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: EEK! (somewhat frightening landing photo)
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 12:55:14 PM »
crosswind
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 01:18:44 PM »
did everyone walk away?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 01:26:12 PM »
crosswind

Yup....    The photo caption on flightaware says a gust hit at just the wrong time.   Still a high pucker factor moment if you ask me.......  That little winglet is WAAAAAAAAAAAY too close to the ground for comfort...

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 01:30:13 PM »
I would not have been able to poop for a week after that
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 01:35:34 PM »
I would not have been able to poop for a week after that
I'd be running on empty too after that...
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 01:54:46 PM »
I'm guessing low level shear versus ordinary crosswind.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 02:56:50 PM »
Yup....    The photo caption on flightaware says a gust hit at just the wrong time.   Still a high pucker factor moment if you ask me.......  That little winglet is WAAAAAAAAAAAY too close to the ground for comfort...

Okay, well it looked like it could be a "normal" crosswind landing: keeping the upwind wing low and touching down the right main first, to keep from being flipped over.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 06:08:53 PM »
That is a little too much for a normal crosswind landing. It was probably a gust that caught him.

Still, no damage = no foul.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 06:13:35 PM »
That is a little too much for a normal crosswind landing. It was probably a gust that caught him.

Still, no damage = no foul.

A good landing is one you can walk away from.  A great landing is one where you can still use the airplane again afterwards.
Formerly sumpnz

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 06:54:12 PM »
This actually reminds me of a question I have for you airliner types....    Was flying out of Florianopolis in Brazil a few years back.   I wanna say we were in a 737, but I don't think the type is that important.   We were climbing, and maybe 1000-1500 ft AGL and all the sudden the pilot is trying to pretend this plane is a fighter....   We're basically doing the scissors, but I can't see the plane that's supposed to be attacking us, or the plane we're supposed to be attacking.  All I know is that I'm in the window seat, and one minute I'm seeing nothing but sky, the next nothing but land (and sea).  Then sky.  Then NotSky.   Probably a good 4, maybe 5 times.   While climbing.   And he's pulling enough G that we still feel "down" through our seats more than towards whatever wing he's pointing at the dirt at the moment.

We didn't fly that crazy pattern coming into Florianopolis, and I've never had the opportunity to fly out of there again, but it was bizarre enough that I've tried to find out if there's some kind of terrain clearance or noise abatement thing, but nothing that I can find....

So, was our pilot just a little screwy and missing his days in the Brazilian Air Force?

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 06:57:35 PM »
Had a flight from Florida to New York City in December 1974 that was like that.  Except it was a MAJOR STORM.   Aircraft yawed side to side....ninety degrees<LEVEL>ninety degrees....
A lady a few rows up lost her cookies.   

I was NEVER so happy to get off an airplane!

=D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2013, 07:08:44 PM »
A good landing is one you can walk away from.  A great landing is one where you can still use the airplane again afterwards.

Like this? (Watch all the videos -- it's all the same incident)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzWCmyGqulQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ks257PVk-4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eMdT8d08Yg
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2013, 07:16:09 PM »

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2013, 07:17:38 PM »
One of the last times coming home to Billings there was a bad windstorm in Montana.  At first all flights were suspended because of the weather and then they finally decided to take a chance, but telling us we might end up somewhere else instead.

It was really bad curving around into final - the little CRJ was bouncing all over and rolling maybe 30 degrees to each side.  I thought the pilot would abort or else we were going to smash.  At the last few seconds when we got over the edge of the rims, the air smoothed out and we had a normal landing.  =)

For those that don't know, Billings airport is up on top of a hill with cliffs on two sides.  Coming in from the ESE (28?) is almost like landing on a huge carrier: you are still way up in the air and then you come over the edge of the cliff and right onto the runway.

geronimotwo

• friend
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Formerly sumpnz

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2013, 07:24:07 PM »
AD, that sounds like wake turbulence from a preceding aircraft.  it can get nasty.  If not that, then probably low level wind shear.  Were you in the mountains?

Fly320s

• friend

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2013, 07:25:55 PM »
^^^ That's a good landing.

But, but, but ... they used the airplane after ...

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2013, 07:26:36 PM »
AD, that sounds like wake turbulence from a preceding aircraft.  it can get nasty.  If not that, then probably low level wind shear.  Were you in the mountains?

Or the tail falls off  =(

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2013, 07:35:23 PM »
Or the tail falls off  =(

That tends to happen when the FO slams the rudder back and forth a few times.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2013, 07:39:26 PM »

here's a google maps view of the airport.  there's some hills to the WSW, and some pretty much due S, but I believe the take off put us right over the channel between the island and the mainland there.

http://goo.gl/maps/HGjxM

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2013, 07:43:11 PM »
I got sent to Bellingham WA for a crosscountry student flight. Cleared for  final, I was advised a 727 was 10 miles out for landing and would I consider, please, going around so the 727 would not have to. Sure, no problem-I went round and came back too close- about 25 feet off the runway I ran into wake turbulence rough enough that I was bouncing the yoke off the stops, right and left aileron to keep the wingtips from hitting the runway. Just about scared the poo out of me, 'cept I was too busy to crap. =D
 It would have been nice if the tower would have given me a heads up on separation, but on the other I learned a lesson I will never forget!

zahc

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2013, 07:43:56 PM »
Serious question: do planes have antilock brakes? What kind of brakes DO they have...hydraulic ones similar to cars? Im trying to get an idea how modulateable they are.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine