Author Topic: EEK! (somewhat frightening landing photo)  (Read 4434 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: EEK! (somewhat frightening landing photo)
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2013, 07:44:42 PM »
here's a google maps view of the airport.  there's some hills to the WSW, and some pretty much due S, but I believe the take off put us right over the channel between the island and the mainland there.

http://goo.gl/maps/HGjxM

Probably wake, then.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2013, 07:49:35 PM »
Serious question: do planes have antilock brakes? What kind of brakes DO they have...hydraulic ones similar to cars? Im trying to get an idea how modulateable they are.

Depends on the plane.  Your basic Cessna or Piper does not have anti-lock, just standard unpowered hydraulics like a motorcycle. 

I'm pretty sure all modern commercial aircraft do have anti-lock brakes.  I know the Airbus family does, although Airbus calls it anti-skid.  They work very well, especially when the plane is light.

The brakes have to be good enough to stop an aircraft at it's maximum weight and maximum takeoff speed without the benefit of reverse thrust.  The brakes are large and have several disks on each wheel.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2013, 07:51:48 PM »
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8353822@N02/2074500604/

I'm too lazy to upload a photo.  Click the link for an A320 brake photo.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2013, 07:53:03 PM »
AD, that sounds like wake turbulence from a preceding aircraft.  it can get nasty.  If not that, then probably low level wind shear.  Were you in the mountains?

I've been there. Was riding in the Instructor Pilot's seat (just along for the ride on a refueling mission) in a KC135A model doing a MITO (Minimum Interval Take-off, 15 second interval) in the last ship of a 5 shipper (behind 2 B52H's and 2 more KC's) and we started yawing a lot (I know airplanes can't really fly sideways) but it sure felt like it. I thought I was going to have to have the seat cushion surgically removed from my third point of contact.

Six Flags sure couldn't beat that thrill!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2013, 07:55:34 PM »
Serious question: do planes have antilock brakes? What kind of brakes DO they have...hydraulic ones similar to cars? Im trying to get an idea how modulateable they are.

They have air brakes.  [tinfoil]  Seriously I think they have redundant systems....probably hydraulic.

Also they have thrust reversers that direct the engine thrust forward to stop.   They generally do not employ them while actually flying.  :O
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2013, 09:42:06 PM »
But, but, but ... they used the airplane after ...

Not without substantial repairs.
Formerly sumpnz

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2013, 03:27:54 AM »
Massive electrical failure...?

Somehow I can't help but think "Lucas" whenever I hear that.

Didn't "we" have a couple of problems with the newer high-energy batteries (NiMH, Lithium or something) in aircraft in the past couple of years?

Catching fire or something...?

Terry

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2013, 05:06:34 AM »
Massive electrical failure...?

Somehow I can't help but think "Lucas" whenever I hear that.

Didn't "we" have a couple of problems with the newer high-energy batteries (NiMH, Lithium or something) in aircraft in the past couple of years?

Catching fire or something...?

Terry

Yeah....the Li-ion batteries in the Boeing 787s were catching fire. Grounded the fleet until they could come up with a fix.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth