Author Topic: All Quiet on the Western Front  (Read 1337 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
All Quiet on the Western Front
« on: September 06, 2022, 10:58:57 AM »
First trailer dropped for the Netflix production of All Quiet on the Western Front
Looks decent but I have a nagging fear they will drop some woke stuff in there somewhere. Hope I'm wrong in that fear.
Glad to see the First getting some recognition again with this and other recent movies. Wonder if the Great War series had anything to with sparking people's interest again because I don't remember hardy anything based in the First for quite a while, since maybe the 70s, and in the last few years there's been a bunch. I mean there were a few here and there but in the last few years have seen an upsurge,

All Quiet on the Western Front | Official Teaser | Netflix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFqgmaO15x4
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 12:44:47 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: All Quiet on the Western Front
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2022, 11:32:02 AM »
The imperialist corporate empire wants to send our most motivated warriors to die overseas. I'm not liking that war propaganda movies are coming out. Not that I haven't consumed them over the years myself. If Hellywood is promoting something you best beware.

It will probably be spectacular and get good reviews like recent Top Gun.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2022, 11:37:31 AM »
The imperialist corporate empire wants to send our most motivated warriors to die overseas. I'm not liking that war propaganda movies are coming out. Not that I haven't consumed them over the years myself. If Hellywood is promoting something you best beware.

It will probably be spectacular and get good reviews like recent Top Gun.

Interestingly, the one Ron linked above appears to be told from the German side of the story, through the eyes of a German infantryman.  I doubt it will be laden with strident nationalism and a call to arms like Stoltz Der Nation American Sniper was, or the variety of John Wayne WWII movies, or similar fodder.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2022, 11:40:00 AM »
You do know All Quiet on the Western Front is a book written by a German veteran in 1928?
I've read it but it's been awhile.
There's been a few movies based on it made over the years.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2022, 11:43:09 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2022, 12:32:54 PM »
Might be a good movie to see made today since a lot of flashy movies have implied the WWI Germans were Nazis.  Might be an opportunity for some to learn a little more history.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2022, 12:35:42 PM »
Woke stuff I expect to see:

Germany is fighting for the liberation of colonies oppressed by Great Britain and France.

French Senegalese fighting for the French are kept in chains until liberated by the Germans.

The German high command is made up of strong xzymn of color.

The English mansplain everything.

Jews aren't just evil, they're ULTRA evil.

Germany is fighting against Israel for the establishment of a Palestinian state.

Orange Man Bad!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2022, 12:37:53 PM »
Somewhat related: comparing All Quiet on the Western Front with Storm of Steel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwp7jXWSCrA
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2022, 12:41:11 PM »
I'll be Goddamned...

They actually have the rifles correct in some of the close ups.

Actual Gew98s.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2022, 02:23:32 PM »
Another remake - seems they struggle to come up with anything new.

We'll see how it compares to the 1979 version that starred John-Boy Walton and Lt.Cmdr McHale, which I actually thought was pretty good.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2022, 04:49:33 PM »
I've seen both versions.

I thought both were very good.

I'm not bummed about this being a remake. If they do it correctly, modern CGI should help them present the battlefield in ways never before possible in the 1930s and only moving towards possible in the 1970s when the second one was filmed.

The fact that they actually have the rifles represented correctly, instead of handing them anything they can find, gives me hope that they're actually taking care with how the story comes together.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2022, 10:42:41 AM »
Wonder if they’ll include the group pooping scene.
Formerly sumpnz

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2022, 11:54:50 AM »
You do know All Quiet on the Western Front is a book written by a German veteran in 1928?
I've read it but it's been awhile.
There's been a few movies based on it made over the years.

I'm leery of war propaganda in general, particularly when TPTB are stoking the public to suffer or die for abstract concepts like "freedom" and "democracy" in foreign lands. Particularly when a direct obvious national concern doesn't exist. 
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2022, 11:55:11 AM »

I think the book is anti-war.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2022, 12:16:18 PM »
I think the book is anti-war.

Read it to the 2 younger kids last year.  I’d say that’s accurate.
Formerly sumpnz

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2022, 12:38:47 PM »
I'll wait for the reviews and the impact, maybe this will be a positive thing. Obviously, that's a book I skipped. Probably because it was anti-war ironically. 

Sending our bravest and most loyal to country to die for the machinations of GAE will leave us with a nation of even more soy bois than we currently suffer under.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2022, 12:44:23 PM »
I'll wait for the reviews and the impact, maybe this will be a positive thing. Obviously, that's a book I skipped. Probably because it was anti-war ironically. 

Sending our bravest and most loyal to country to die for the machinations of GAE will leave us with a nation of even more soy bois than we currently suffer under.

Hard to imagine someone going through the hell that was the trenches and not come out of it anti-war.
A few did as history showed, cough AH cough, though
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2022, 01:31:15 PM »
Hard to imagine someone going through the hell that was the trenches and not come out of it anti-war.
Hatred born of vengeance and retribution is a powerful motivator.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2022, 02:11:22 PM »
True.  It sure didn't make Hitler anti-war.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2022, 02:51:42 PM »

Interestingly, it did not make C.S. Lewis into a pacifist.
https://markchanski.com/2013/05/28/c-s-lewis-on-pacifism-war-the-christian-soldier-2/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2022, 03:44:27 PM »

Interestingly, it did not make C.S. Lewis into a pacifist.
https://markchanski.com/2013/05/28/c-s-lewis-on-pacifism-war-the-christian-soldier-2/
There is a big difference between a just war, particularly of war in defense of home and kin, and the perpetual clown show we've been subjected to, killing millions worldwide for reasons.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2022, 04:20:24 PM »
There is a big difference between a just war, particularly of war in defense of home and kin, and the perpetual clown show we've been subjected to, killing millions worldwide for reasons.

Oh. OK
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2022, 02:00:41 PM »
Brutal. You were warned.

Don't recall ever seeing Saint-Chamond tanks in a movie

Allied Tanks & Flamethrowers in the Frontline | All Quiet on the Western Front War Scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fewueSTMBs
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 02:18:22 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

grampster

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2022, 03:12:11 PM »
Being Netflix you can almost guarantee naked gay men, blow jobs, and naked lesbian sex.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2022, 03:34:33 PM »
Everything I've seen so far in the trailers and stills indicates that they put a LOT of time into researching the equipment and clothing. The St. Chamonds appear to be armed with the proper type of 75mm gun (a bit hard to determine, you have to look at the muzzle) and with the proper Hotchkiss machine guns.

The flame throwers also look correct for a French model. As I said earlier, the German rifles are correct for the time period, too.