Author Topic: All Quiet on the Western Front  (Read 1338 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: All Quiet on the Western Front
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2022, 03:40:48 PM »
Being Netflix you can almost guarantee naked gay men, blow jobs, and naked lesbian sex.

I'm really hoping that this is one of the 1 in 500 netflix originals that they don't ruin with that gratuitous stuff. The previews seem really good and I want to watch it this week.

Edit: It appears this film was made in Germany, so Netflix may not have ruined it. I have noticed that even the German language Netflix productions appear to avoid going overly woke, as audiences there won't stand for it.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 05:40:26 PM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2022, 04:51:58 PM »
Everything I've seen so far in the trailers and stills indicates that they put a LOT of time into researching the equipment and clothing. The St. Chamonds appear to be armed with the proper type of 75mm gun (a bit hard to determine, you have to look at the muzzle) and with the proper Hotchkiss machine guns.

The flame throwers also look correct for a French model. As I said earlier, the German rifles are correct for the time period, too.

Yeah, the attention to detail is so far looking incredible.
Hope the story does follow

In the YT comments
For people wondering how they rebuilt the french Saint-Chamond tank: They took BMP1 tanks and put a Saint-Chamond "body kit" on them. Actually well made in my opinion. Only the tracks give it away when you look closely.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2022, 06:11:26 PM »
From the trailer with the tanks and flamethrowers, it would seem that nobody taught the extras proper manipulation of a bolt action rifle.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2022, 06:45:06 PM »
Watched it the other night.  Overall a good flick.  A bit slow in parts, but worth watching.  The plot deviates a bit from the book and the previous 2 films, but not in a bad way.

No "woke" messaging (other than "war is horrible"), no gay sex, or any of the other tropes one associates with Netflix.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2022, 07:34:37 PM »
I watched it the day it was released, I echo above.

I read the book in HS, definitely anti war because it highlighted the horrors of the first world war.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2022, 11:14:52 AM »
The Drinker Recommends... All Quiet On The Western Front
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSFlDpiJs8w
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2022, 11:23:54 AM »
It seems like most of the negative reviews I've seen on it are because it doesn't follow the book or the original movie. That's not a big negative to me as long as it's Peter Jackson LOTR different and not Amazon Rings of Power different.

I never saw the original movie, but read the book a long, long time ago. I actually just ordered the English language book in hardcover to reread, since it seems like a classic I should have on my "books that are worth having" dead tree bookshelf. I also ordered the German language book on Kindle.  I would have got that as hardcover too, but holy hell, not for $60 used. I might have one of my cousins mail me a copy from Krautland.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2022, 09:24:21 PM »
I just watched it. I thought it was very good.