Author Topic: Talk of Clarence Thomas Retiring  (Read 2032 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Talk of Clarence Thomas Retiring
« on: June 20, 2016, 09:59:54 AM »
I heard a short snippet on Fox Business just now that mentioned Clarence Thomas talking about retiring after the election. I did a search, and about the only places this is mentioned is non-MSM sites. Mostly on the liberal sites, with a couple of links to conservative sites where they quote his wife as denying it.

I though this was weird for several reasons. A couple of big ones are, if this were made up by lefty sites, wouldn't it actually hurt them more than help them? Because the first thing I thought when I heard it was, "shoot, maybe I have to vote for Trump after all." Second, why would it just be his wife refuting it on the conservative sites vs him or his staff?

Anyway, unsubstantiated with interesting timing.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Talk of Clarence Thomas Retiring
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 10:53:13 AM »
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 11:10:30 PM »
Thread necro:  Clarence Thomas addresses retirement rumors:

https://twitter.com/townhallcom/status/1526215424874008576
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Pb

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2022, 12:17:21 PM »
Thomas should have retired when Trump was President.  Remember how Ginsberg screwed the left by hanging on til the bitter end?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2022, 12:29:00 PM »
Thomas should have retired when Trump was President.  Remember how Ginsberg screwed the left by hanging on til the bitter end?

Why should he retire?  He enjoys his work on the court, he is good at it, and he is in relatively good health.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2022, 12:34:03 PM »
Why should he retire?  He enjoys his work on the court, he is good at it, and he is in relatively good health.

Yeah, that's my thought. He seems to be in good health. Anything can happen of course, but that goes for younger justices as well. If he (or any conservative justice) were RGB ill, then sure, leaving under a R president would be prudent.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2022, 12:52:56 PM »
More liberal wet dream fantasies.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2022, 01:16:36 PM »
More liberal wet dream fantasies.

No, in those fantasies, his departure from the court results from being lynched by Tucker Carlson.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2022, 01:23:29 PM »
Yeah, that's my thought. He seems to be in good health. Anything can happen of course, but that goes for younger justices as well. If he (or any conservative justice) were RGB ill, then sure, leaving under a R president would be prudent.

Scalia was in reasonably good health ... until he wasn't.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Pb

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2022, 02:38:28 PM »

He is 73 years old.  That is why he should have left when Trump was still around to appoint his successor.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2022, 02:55:17 PM »
He is 73 years old.  That is why he should have left when Trump was still around to appoint his successor.

At 73 he must be a death's door, then.  I guess he should have retired.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2022, 05:57:39 PM »
John Force is 73. Look him up.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2022, 06:50:32 PM »
Thomas has been on the court a long time, but isn’t much older than Roberts or Alito.  He just got on the court a pretty young age, still in his 40’s IIRC.  Most justices stay on the court well into their 80’s.  There’s no great reason to pressure him into retirement, assuming his health is actually good, for another 3 POTUS terms.  It’s possible he could serve past the 2036 elections, and highly likely he’d still be there for the 2032 elections.  So long as he’s healthy I’m fine with keeping him there until there’s a good conservative majority in the senate with an R POTUS that will nominate a replacement of comparable quality.  Odds of that over the next 14 years are good enough, if we can stop the blatant election fraud.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2022, 12:35:35 AM »
Justice Thomas shouldn't consider retirement any more than that old "buzzard" did.  >:D
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2022, 12:36:44 AM »
Justice Thomas shouldn't consider retirement any more than that old "buzzard" did.  >:D

And how did that work for her side?

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2022, 01:30:07 AM »

well, they got "A.C.B" to replace "R.B.G"
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2022, 10:09:49 AM »

This.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2022, 03:00:53 PM »
Must we watch again the footage of triggered snowflakes cursing RBG for her betrayal? Well, we don't have to, but it is a lot of fun.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2022, 01:53:20 PM »

The longer that Thomas can remain on the bench, the less chance "they" have of replacing him.
If the midterms go the way so many of us hope, the Left won't be able to muster the necessary votes.
  [popcorn]
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2022, 03:42:38 PM »
The longer that Thomas can remain on the bench, the less chance "they" have of replacing him.
If the midterms go the way so many of us hope, the Left won't be able to muster the necessary votes.
  [popcorn]

Um, not really. Not if he stays on the bench through another friendly administration, and then the opposition gets back into power, and then he dies. That's what happened with Ginsburg.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2022, 07:20:39 PM »
If Trump or DeSantis or someone similar wins in 2024 and there’s a decent R majority in the senate it won’t surprise me if Thomas retires.  He might wait to see if he can hold on past 2026 or even past 2028 though.  It will really depend on how much he still enjoys the work and his health.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2022, 12:07:11 AM »
Um, not really. Not if he stays on the bench through another friendly administration, and then the opposition gets back into power, and then he dies. That's what happened with Ginsburg.

What I had said before is dependent on the outcome of 2024.  If this year's midterms go against the Left, they will be less likely and less able to push through a nominee.  Even if Thomas were to retire in 2023, the midterms this fall may make it difficult to alter the SC.
I agree that, having Thomas wait until '24 may not be a good idea as there could be too many changes by then.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2022, 12:26:21 AM »
What I had said before is dependent on the outcome of 2024.  If this year's midterms go against the Left, they will be less likely and less able to push through a nominee.  Even if Thomas were to retire in 2023, the midterms this fall may make it difficult to alter the SC.
I agree that, having Thomas wait until '24 may not be a good idea as there could be too many changes by then.

He’s only 73.  It would not be unreasonable to expect him to be able to keep serving through the 2032 POTUS elections.  It only seems like he so old he should retire because he’s been on the court for 30 years already.  He was 42 or 43 when he was confirmed whereas most justices don’t get confirmed until they’re about a decade or more older.  Alito is only 1 year younger than Thomas and nobody here is suggesting he should be retiring.

Insisting Thomas retire after the midterms while BIDEN IS STILL PRESIDENT is, forgive the shouting, DUMBFUCKERY.  The man is not on deaths door as far as anyone here knows.  At absolute best we’d get a Garland-esq nominee to replace him from Biden, regardless of how many net Senate seats the Rs take in November.  And there’s plenty of rinos now that the filibuster is dead to get such a nomination through.  If that happens kiss a meaningful 2A goodbye, because we all know damn well Roberts won’t cross the Ds.

Now, come 2025 if we have a President DeSantis, and a solid R Senate majority we can maybe open that discussion.  But if 2025 heralds a Harris or Buttegige (or however he spells it) or whatever dem administration then we just need to hope his health (and security detail) holds out for another 4-8 years. 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2022, 12:25:55 PM »
According to tradition and common sense, Thomas should wait until the party that nominated him is back in power, before he makes his seat available. Retiring while Vichy characters like Biden and Schumer hold power is obviously a Bad Idea.