Author Topic: "Earning" $250k a/year and yet still living paycheck to paycheck  (Read 1751 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Seriously?
Guess they better get a move on on that $150 hr min wage

Worried about inflation? More than 1 in 3 Americans earning at least $250,000 annually say they are living paycheck to paycheck. https://t.co/jlL25d18qj via @atanzi @economics @wealth pic.twitter.com/4i8JFrMUjO

— Steve Matthews (@SteveMatthews12) June 1, 2022

Bloomberg reports on survey suggesting that over half of millennials making at least $250K annually ‘are living paycheck-to-paycheck’
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2022/06/01/bloomberg-reports-on-survey-suggesting-that-over-half-of-millennials-making-at-least-250k-annually-are-living-paycheck-to-paycheck/

Yes I put earning in quotes for a reason since not sure if many of them actually "earn" 250K if you catch my drift

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: "Earning" $250k a/year and yet still living paycheck to paycheck
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2022, 11:00:06 AM »
One of the biggest shocks when I got into real estate was how many "successful" people were one paycheck away from disaster. What I thought was wealth was really only the rented appearance thereof. All the high-end trappings which made them look successful were financed, not owned. Several high-limit credit cards kept pretty much maxed out. Every penny they made dedicated to payments. No cash reserves, no equity, and no safety net.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2022, 11:08:36 AM »
One of the biggest shocks when I got into real estate was how many "successful" people were one paycheck away from disaster. What I thought was wealth was really only the rented appearance thereof. All the high-end trappings which made them look successful were financed, not owned. Several high-limit credit cards kept pretty much maxed out. Every penny they made dedicated to payments. No cash reserves, no equity, and no safety net.

Brad

I've run into this some, and the opposite: Some of the better off folks I know you'd never assume from outward appearances.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2022, 11:11:57 AM »
Some of the better off folks I know you'd never assume from outward appearances.

More common than most folks realize, especially among retirement-age boomers.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2022, 11:53:34 AM »

Brad
$250k/year may not be all that much if you work in in a place like Manhattan and live close to your job, but in most of the country you should be able to live quite well AND sock a bundle away for the future.

When the tech meltdown happened some years back, my neighbor mentioned that the majority of the homes for sale in a nearby gated community (Austin, TX area) were actually foreclosures - quite a few were owned by DINKs - Double Income No Kids - where a couple both with good jobs bought the absolutely most expensive home they could possibly afford, based on BOTH incomes.

And then one - or in some cases, both - of them lost their jobs when the bubble burst, any stock options they may have had became worthless, and they literally couldn't make their house payments.

Thinking further back, I was just a couple of years into my 1st job out of grad school, and one of my colleagues (a senior-level chemist) said he and his wife (who also had a good job) were having problems making their credit card payments - they were maxed out. Not because of an emergency, illness or casualty losses, but because both of them kept buying "stuff" whenever they felt like it, and figured as long as they could make the payments, they were OK. I think at that point they realized they were in a hole and stopped digging - at least, he never mentioned losing his house.

Their situation reinforced my parents' wise counsel about living within - preferably below - one's means.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2022, 12:15:01 PM »
Seriously?
Guess they better get a move on on that $150 hr min wage

Bloomberg reports on survey suggesting that over half of millennials making at least $250K annually ‘are living paycheck-to-paycheck’
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2022/06/01/bloomberg-reports-on-survey-suggesting-that-over-half-of-millennials-making-at-least-250k-annually-are-living-paycheck-to-paycheck/

Yes I put earning in quotes for a reason since not sure if many of them actually "earn" 250K if you catch my drift

That is a spending problem, not an income problem.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2022, 12:16:35 PM »

I meant earn as in are they actually doing anything to EARN as in deserve it
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2022, 12:17:58 PM »

Also a "conflating necessities and luxuries" problem.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2022, 12:30:21 PM »
Also a "conflating necessities and luxuries" problem.

A new Mercedes G Wagon and Chris-Craft 35 aren't necessities? That's racist!

Brad
-HankB

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2022, 12:34:13 PM »
I see the same thing as Brad (one paycheck away from disaster) up here in the land of the dot.coms and the extremely high housing prices.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2022, 01:29:15 PM »

Brad

Racist and loving it!  =D

I have lots of luxury stuff and blow lots of money on non-necessities, but that's now. Different story when I was younger, and luxuries came only from any money that wasn't spent on necessities or put into savings/retirement accounts. If there was money left over after the percentage I set aside for investment, that was luxury money.

I like to use the Ford truck analogy. You can get an XL configured to do pretty much anything a pickup needs to do, and have it be comfortable as well. That's the necessity. You can also get the Platinum with all the bells and whistles, but it doesn't really do anything more than the XL does. That's the luxury. Far too many people rationalize the Platinum as the necessity.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2022, 01:36:25 PM »
I earn half that and I have no problems living well within my means...

I'm trying not to judge, but I'm not having a lot of success.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2022, 02:39:29 PM »
Racist and loving it!  =D

I have lots of luxury stuff and blow lots of money on non-necessities, but that's now. Different story when I was younger, and luxuries came only from any money that wasn't spent on necessities or put into savings/retirement accounts. If there was money left over after the percentage I set aside for investment, that was luxury money.

I like to use the Ford truck analogy. You can get an XL configured to do pretty much anything a pickup needs to do, and have it be comfortable as well. That's the necessity. You can also get the Platinum with all the bells and whistles, but it doesn't really do anything more than the XL does. That's the luxury. Far too many people rationalize the Platinum as the necessity.
I do better now, but didn't do so well when I was in my 20's.  I heard people mention living on 50% of your income. I remember one of those radio personal finance guys say if you can't pay off a new car in 2 or 3 years, you can't afford it.  I feel like I understand that better now.

Also, people need to understand that making their credit card payments should mean paying off the balance, not paying the minimum or that plus interest. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zahc

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2022, 03:14:16 PM »
Usually a 250k salary corresponds to an area that's so expensive that $250k doesn't go far.

Of course what you want is the $250k job in a low cost of living area, but everyone wants that, so those don't grow on trees.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2022, 04:46:48 PM »
"Also, people need to understand that making their credit card payments should mean paying off the balance, not paying the minimum or that plus interest."

Uhm... in this crowd it's

IF YOU HAVE A SINGLE PENNY OF DEBT YOU'RE A GODDDAMNED LOSER AND SHOULD BE CAST OFF EARTH! DEBT IS FAILURE! DEBT IS PENURY! DEBT MEANS YOU'RE OWNED BY THE MAN, .LOCK, STOCK, BARREL, AND SOUL! DEBT MEANS YOU HAVE NO HONOR! DEBT MEANS YOU'RE SCUM, YOU COME FROM SCUM, AND YOU'LL PRODUCE SCUM!

God I love this place... :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2022, 04:50:39 PM »
Uhm... in this crowd it's

IF YOU HAVE A SINGLE PENNY OF DEBT YOU'RE A GODDDAMNED LOSER AND SHOULD BE CAST OFF EARTH! DEBT IS FAILURE! DEBT IS PENURY! DEBT MEANS YOU'RE OWNED BY THE MAN, .LOCK, STOCK, BARREL, AND SOUL! DEBT MEANS YOU HAVE NO HONOR! DEBT MEANS YOU'RE SCUM, YOU COME FROM SCUM, AND YOU'LL PRODUCE SCUM!

Too subtle. You can do better.

Brad
-HankB

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2022, 06:11:23 PM »
Debtors' prison.  That'll whip those lazy millennials into shape.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2022, 09:18:15 PM »
Very common malady in .gov circles.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2022, 09:30:37 PM »

When you're right you're right...
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2022, 11:38:13 PM »
I'm trying to think of what jobs of people under 40 (millennials) actually pay $250k.

Granted I live in Iowa, so my world view on salaries is a bit skewed.

I can think of these careers

Specialty Doctors
Some of the Master's of Nursing
Some of the PAs

Middle to Upper Managers
Certain Engineers
Certain Computer fields
Really good lawyers
Really good sales people/relators
Entrepreneurs
Rental Property Owners
Large Farmer
Fund Managers
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2022, 11:44:34 PM »
ARNPs and PAs don't make $250k anywhere that I know of.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2022, 11:58:19 PM »
I'm trying to think of what jobs of people under 40 (millennials) actually pay $250k.

Granted I live in Iowa, so my world view on salaries is a bit skewed.

I can think of these careers

Specialty Doctors
Some of the Master's of Nursing
Some of the PAs

Middle to Upper Managers
Certain Engineers
Certain Computer fields
Really good lawyers
Really good sales people/relators
Entrepreneurs
Rental Property Owners
Large Farmer
Fund Managers
Many politicians, Chicago building inspectors, and others on the take (including family members)
Participants in various criminal activities
Crane operators at West Coast ports (Not sure how old they have to be to become "full" operators)
People with degrees in Medieval French transgender womyn's poetry
Some stockbrokers and investment analysts
A handful of authors and artists

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2022, 12:01:36 AM »
I heard on the teevee this morning that grad degrees in AI are pulling $1 mil plus starting salaries at the FAANG companies.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2022, 01:59:43 AM »

Brad

I'm so poor I don't know what a Chris Craft is.

Boat?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife