Author Topic: The Handshake  (Read 1753 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
The Handshake
« on: May 29, 2017, 09:17:50 AM »
While libs were blaming Trump for being a bully (and I have no doubt he tries for aggressive handshakes), it appears Macron planned the whole thing to "put the US on notice".  As one Twitchy commenter noted, Trump will almost certainly return the favor the next time they meet.

http://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2017/05/29/most-femme-thing-in-the-history-of-liberalism-that-macron-trump-handshake-just-got-a-whole-lot-more-pathetic/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: The Handshake
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 09:30:15 AM »
The constant handshaking that goes on can result in later pain.  One President, IIRC, remarked on that negative aspect of "politicking."

I always offer my left hand for a handshake.  Reason?  Arthritis.  I found those people who try to impress me with their gripping power are less likely to give me a "firm handshake" on my left hand.  A rough handshake on my right hand, even a single one, will result in at least a day's worth of pain and near-uselessness.

I was told once that left handshaking was offensive to people from some cultures.  Tough *expletive deleted*it.  Go home.

Terry. 230RN.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 09:43:11 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 10:11:43 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmChsd2MmvE#t=1m30s

Also, if you keep your index finger high and straight, it reshapes the bone structure of the hand where it's near impossible to crush.  Play around with it until you find just the right position; I've had a couple of pro athletes put everything they could into a crushing grip and it was barely uncomfortable...plus the finger is in a good spot to target a pressure point on the wrist too.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 10:20:19 AM »
When I was younger I had people try to crush my hand with their grip but I found that by relaxing my grip and letting my palm fold rather than "stacking my knuckles." no one could even bother me no matter how hard they squeezed. When I relaxed my grip, they thought they had me but then I just stood there grinning as they desperately to detect any pained reaction on my part.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 11:20:05 AM »
When I was younger I had people try to crush my hand with their grip but I found that by relaxing my grip and letting my palm fold rather than "stacking my knuckles." no one could even bother me no matter how hard they squeezed. When I relaxed my grip, they thought they had me but then I just stood there grinning as they desperately to detect any pained reaction on my part.
Yeah, but what does it say about a middle aged guy trying to do a crush handshake with a 70+ year old guy?  The only thing worse is any attempt by the media to make a big deal out of it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 12:35:00 PM »
Yeah, but what does it say about a middle aged guy trying to do a crush handshake with a 70+ year old guy?  The only thing worse is any attempt by the media to make a big deal out of it. 

^^^This.

And then proclaiming that this is the way to earn "respect."

Macron needs to grow up -- quickly.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 12:42:12 PM »
I find it amusing, in that womanly sort of way where one shakes her head at the follies of men, that the liberal french president who's probably all concerned about the feminist agenda is engaging in traditional worthless male pissing contest (that is supposedly such offensive behavior) and the liberals all love him for it.

What's next? Seeing who can make the biggest fireball with a fart and a match?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 01:33:55 PM »
Yeah, but what does it say about a middle aged guy trying to do a crush handshake with a 70+ year old guy?  The only thing worse is any attempt by the media to make a big deal out of it.  

I get that but I was following up KD5NRH's post on how to combat when some ahole tries to put the crush on your hand which IS a childish, dick, move. A firm handshake, yes but "firm" does not mean try to hurt the other person.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 04:09:02 PM »

Also, if you keep your index finger high and straight, it reshapes the bone structure of the hand where it's near impossible to crush.  Play around with it until you find just the right position; I've had a couple of pro athletes put everything they could into a crushing grip and it was barely uncomfortable...plus the finger is in a good spot to target a pressure point on the wrist too.

^ This analysis neglects an independent variable: arthritis.

I find it amusing, in that womanly sort of way where one shakes her head at the follies of men, that the liberal french president who's probably all concerned about the feminist agenda is engaging in traditional worthless male pissing contest (that is supposedly such offensive behavior) and the liberals all love him for it.

What's next? Seeing who can make the biggest fireball with a fart and a match?

roffle mayonnaise

Terry

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 07:30:50 PM »
I liked the BBC headline about Macron having a tough meeting with Putin. The accompanying picture Macron looks like "Yes I was really tough, just like you told me mommy." Meanwhile Putin has a meeting Obama look, aka bitch please.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 08:00:51 PM »
^ This analysis neglects an independent variable: arthritis.

The grip should be manageable anyway; the guy who first showed me was about to turn 70 with a long list of old hand injuries.  Not sure about the pressure point counter, as that was shown later by another instructor.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 10:36:17 PM »
I get that but I was following up KD5NRH's post on how to combat when some *expletive deleted*hole tries to put the crush on your hand which IS a childish, dick, move. A firm handshake, yes but "firm" does not mean try to hurt the other person.

I've found that knee to the groin will almost always convince the offending party to reconsider his actions.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 01:36:19 AM »
I just enjoyed grinning at the ahole as they tried their best to make me wince. They HATE being made the fool.
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2017, 07:20:13 AM »

Also, if you keep your index finger high and straight, it reshapes the bone structure of the hand where it's near impossible to crush.  Play around with it until you find just the right position; I've had a couple of pro athletes put everything they could into a crushing grip and it was barely uncomfortable...plus the finger is in a good spot to target a pressure point on the wrist too.

It took a while to percolate up to my cortex, but now I seem to recall (from the 1950s?) that the index finger up the wrist during a handshake was some kind of gay recognition symbol.  Of course, the word "gay" had not yet been used like that back then.

Terry, 230RN

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2017, 10:57:06 AM »
It took a while to percolate up to my cortex, but now I seem to recall (from the 1950s?) that the index finger up the wrist during a handshake was some kind of gay recognition symbol.  Of course, the word "gay" had not yet been used like that back then.

Maybe they tried it, but various permutations of extended fingers during handshakes have been around for a lot longer than that as organizational variations, and the index finger alone is likely the most common, as well as being fairly well recognized in certain martial arts as simply meaning "I ain't falling for that, dude."

Hmm...take a look at GWB's index finger:
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/president-george-w-bush-left-greets-boston-pitcher-curt-news-photo/113106660#president-george-w-bush-left-greets-boston-pitcher-curt-schilling-as-picture-id113106660