Author Topic: Selective coverage of gun laws, crime stats  (Read 631 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Selective coverage of gun laws, crime stats
« on: July 09, 2015, 09:32:31 AM »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/07/09/us-cities-homicide-surge-2015/29879091/

The story mentions several large cities experiencing a disturbing increase in homicides. The first city they mention (and as far as most people are likely to read) is Milwaukee, whose police chief is quoted as saying "weak gun laws" are to blame.

They go on to mention other cities with increased homicide numbers, and weak gun laws. Cities like Chicago and Baltimore. Oh, wait; they don't mention the gun laws in any of those other cities.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

SADShooter

• friend
Re: Selective coverage of gun laws, crime stats
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 10:27:56 AM »
I read a piece on Bernie Sanders touting his moderate stance on gun control and the low murder/gun crime rate in his home state of Vermont. No mention was made of VT law on carry of handguns.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 10:49:48 AM »
I read a piece on Bernie Sanders touting his moderate stance on gun control and the low murder/gun crime rate in his home state of Vermont. No mention was made of VT law on carry of handguns.

Without reading the article, I am willing to bet dollars to donuts that the ethnic makeup of Vermont was not mentioned, either.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 11:07:22 AM »
No bet, though I did just finish a delicious donut.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 11:24:56 AM »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/07/09/us-cities-homicide-surge-2015/29879091/

The story mentions several large cities experiencing a disturbing increase in homicides. The first city they mention (and as far as most people are likely to read) is Milwaukee, whose police chief is quoted as saying "weak gun laws" are to blame.

They go on to mention other cities with increased homicide numbers, and weak gun laws. Cities like Chicago and Baltimore. Oh, wait; they don't mention the gun laws in any of those other cities.

Why don't they talk to the sheriff of Milwaukee County too?  IIRC, he's even black.
"It's good, though..."