Author Topic: Syria: The Russians Are Digging in  (Read 631 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Syria: The Russians Are Digging in
« on: November 09, 2015, 11:04:17 AM »
http://www.unz.com/tsaker/week-five-of-the-russian-intervention-in-syria-the-russians-are-digging-in/

For the first time, Russia has officially declared that air-defense units were also deployed with the Russian forces. Until now, the main burden for air defense had fallen upon the Russian Navy and, specifically, the ships equipped with the naval variant of the S-300 missile system. This was not an optimal solution not only because it put the burden of defending land based assets from the sea, tying down the Russian navy expeditionary force, but also because this solution only “covered” about half of Syria...

There are also reports indicating that the Russians have deployed very sophisticated electronic warfare units including top-of-the line Krasukhka-4 EW systems which are amongst the most sophisticated mobile EW systems ever built and they are reportedly capable of jamming AWACS and satellites in space. Add to this the presense of SU-30SMs in the skies, and you have a force capable of controlling the Syrian skies...

The real purpose of these efforts is becoming obvious: Russia is trying to deny the US the control of the skies over Syria and, so far, there is very little the USA can do about it (short of starting WWIII). Furthermore, the Russians are also sending a message to Turkey, France and Israel – all countries which have, at different times and in different ways, indicated that they wanted to use the Syrian airspace for their own purposes.

Also, the Russians can now collect all sorts of tasty US/allied elint with their best systems while essentially parked on top of them.

BHO has screwed the Syrian pooch six ways to Sunday.  And he could do still more canine coitus in the tim ehe has left.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

dogmush

• friend
Re: Syria: The Russians Are Digging in
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 12:09:50 PM »
Without disputing any of that, I'd point out that the Russians aren't the only ones getting tasty elint.

Keep firing up your newst and best EW goodies,  Ivan.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 07:33:11 PM »
I'm confident we could roast them from an EW standpoint.

Digging in in more ways than one. I guess if your death cult really wants the death part you could do worse than bombing a civilian airliner from a country well known for it's restraint.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 11:25:22 AM »
since neither ISIS or the insurgent anti Assad forces have any air power, one has to wonder who the new air defences are gearing up to fight.