Author Topic: 12 years is not enough  (Read 1245 times)

Greg Levy

12 years is not enough
« on: July 16, 2007, 05:11:03 PM »
So, I got to work today, and I was reading the news, and this is the first story I read...talk about starting my day off on the wrong foot...

Game addiction led to Reno child neglect
By The Associated Press
Article Last Updated: 07/16/2007 10:15:11 AM MDT

Reno, Nev. - A couple authorities say were so obsessed with the Internet and video games that they left their babies starving and suffering other health problems have pleaded guilty to child neglect.

The children of Michael and Iana Straw, a boy age 22 months and a girl age 11 months, were severely malnourished and near death last month when doctors saw them after social workers took them to a hospital, authorities said. Both children are doing well and gaining weight in foster care, prosecutor Kelli Ann Viloria told the Reno Gazette-Journal.

Michael Straw, 25, and Iana Straw, 23, pleaded guilty Friday to two counts each of child neglect. Each faces a maximum 12-year prison sentence.

Viloria said the Reno couple were too distracted by online video games, mainly the fantasy role-playing "Dungeons & Dragons" series, to give their children proper care.

"They had food; they just chose not to give it to their kids because they were too busy playing video games," Viloria told the Reno Gazette-Journal.

Police said hospital staff had to shave the head of the girl because her hair was matted with cat urine. The 10-pound girl also had a mouth infection, dry skin and severe dehydration.

Her brother had to be treated for starvation and a genital infection. His lack of muscle development caused him difficulty in walking, investigators said.

The Straws have been given public defenders. Jeremy Bosler, head of the county public defender's office, declined to comment to The Associated Press on Saturday.

Michael Straw is an unemployed cashier, and his wife worked for a temporary staffing agency doing warehouse work, according to court records. He received a $50,000 inheritance that he spent on computer equipment and a large plasma television, authorities said.

While child abuse because of drug addiction is common, abuse rooted in video game addiction is rare, Viloria said.

Last month, experts at an American Medical Association meeting backed away from a proposal to designate video game addiction as a mental disorder, saying it had to be studied further. Some said the issue is like alcoholism, while others said there was no concrete evidence it's a psychological disease.

Patrick Killen, spokesman for Nevada Child Abuse Prevention, said video game addiction's correlation to child abuse is "a new spin on an old problem." "As we become more technologically advanced, there's more distractions," Killen said. "It's easy for someone to get addicted to something and neglect their children. Whether it's video games or meth, it's a serious issue, and (we) need to become more aware of it."

Other than my belief that the 12-year max penalty, which the parents won't get, is not enough...I just don't get it.  I have 2 kids, and there have been times when I have been distracted and always giving my daughters 100% of my attention 100% of the time, but at what point do you say to yourself, 'yeah, the kid does smell a little bit like cat pee, but I've really got to finish leveling up this character first....'

ARGH!!!!!

greg

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: 12 years is not enough
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 05:53:31 PM »
12 years ain't near enough...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Paddy

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 06:02:14 PM »
12 years ain't near enough...
Now if it were 12 years of neglect in a disease ridden, rat infested, dirt floor dungeon with only rancid rice and milk we'd have somethin'.  But noooooo, whatever time they do will be in a climate controlled modern building. They'll be served hot nutritious food and receive full medical attention.

That ain't right.

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 06:15:09 PM »
First, let's not mince words. What these two did is not "neglect", it is abuse. I realize this is the term the state uses... Second, I see no fair sentence other than slow torture and death.
Period.
Hi.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 06:58:38 PM »
This is why I don't have kids.  No patience for 'em myself, cats are demanding enough.

I just have to wonder about those poor kitties in the house.  undecided
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 07:23:31 PM »
I don't like that this article calls it an addiction.  It is abuse.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

mountainclmbr

• friend
  • Sunset, Casa Mountainclmbr
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 08:40:26 PM »
Send them to a "Democrat" prison. The Democrats are too addicted to trying to control the law-abiding that I'll wager these two don't get fed for 12 years.
Just say no to Obama, Osama and Chelsea's mama.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 10:39:29 PM »
Y'know, when friends commented that I take better care of my cats than some folks do their kids, I used to think they were kidding. Now I know better. angry
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Vile Nylons

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 04:40:53 AM »
Child abuse is the result; addiction is the excuse; but what is the cause? Irresponsibility? Narcissism? Even animals prioritize the caring for and rearing of their young [mammals and birds]. I simply cannot grasp such depraved indifference to ones offspring.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 05:43:43 AM »
Y'know, when friends commented that I take better care of my cats than some folks do their kids, I used to think they were kidding. Now I know better. angry

Just take a glance at any parent buying multiple cartons of cigarettes while their many kids they're towing are wearing cheap, dirty clothing, usually one or two clutching the horrid, ultra-cheap dyed corn-syrup sugar water drinks. There's lots of them out there.

TMM

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 05:54:50 AM »
BAN VIDEO GAMES!

...it's for the children...

~TMM
[surprised someone didn't say that already...]

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 12:51:04 PM »
Thanks for the reminder, Greg.  I've got a kid around here, somewhere.

BAN VIDEO GAMES!

...it's for the children...

Nah.  Just ban them to annoy all the lamos.   smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

jeepmor

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 01:29:29 AM »
Y'know, when friends commented that I take better care of my cats than some folks do their kids, I used to think they were kidding. Now I know better.

My wife and I have gotten this response about our dogs.  I have some colleagues at work that I can definitely see where this statement comes from. 

I think they should have to do 12 years in Arizona under Joe Arapio's supervision.  That should foster some respect.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.

"Oh, so now you're saying they don't have a right to whine about their First Amendment rights?  Fascist."  -fistul