Author Topic: Green Beans  (Read 3917 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Green Beans
« on: July 21, 2007, 12:55:27 PM »
My wife is from North Carolina.  On her last visit with family there, she returned with some seeds for what she calls "half-runner" green beans.  She has been bragging about how good these things are since we were married three years ago.  She planted a few in a large pot on the patio awhile back and today we had our first harvest.
I'll never eat fresh green beans from a grocery store again.  Those half runners were the most flavorful green beans I have ever eaten.  The grocery store beans are tasteless in comparison.
A few pieces of pork trimmings, some small potatoes, toss them in the crock pot with the half runner green beans - heaven at the dinner table.

Edited to add:  I surely never expected to be waxing rhapsodic over green beans.  Pardon the silly topic.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

grislyatoms

• friends
Re: Green Beans
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 01:43:26 PM »
That reminds of something I had once...somewhere...

Green beans fried in a little bacon grease with potato slices, onions, and white rice. Very good. Charleston, WV, maybe?

Anyway, those beans do sound good.

"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 03:08:12 PM »
Don't let your wife stop with just green beans.  Home grown fried okra that has been coated with cornmeal is tough to beat too.   Goes good in gumbo too.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 04:18:07 PM »
Y'all are making me hungry.
For entertainment purposes only.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 05:07:36 PM »
Don't let your wife stop with just green beans.  Home grown fried okra that has been coated with cornmeal is tough to beat too.   Goes good in gumbo too.
She does that, too, though it is hard to get fresh okra here in Oregon.  I couldn't stand okra until I had eaten her version.  Great stuff.
We've talked about going the home-grown route with okra.  I think we are going to try that next season.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 05:50:15 PM »
I was pleasantly surprised at the new grocery store in town, they stock a lot of stuff I missed when I lived in the South. I just bought a jar of Talk o' Texas brand spicy pickled okra.  Yee-haa!  grin
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 06:50:08 PM »
Fresh picked, home-grown produce is always better than anything you'll get from a store.

One of the things I miss having to live out here in Aleutian Hell is the weather and soil conditions aren't conducive to growing anything other than grass and alder bushes.

I remember as a kid planting half-runners with sweet corn so the vines could climb the corn stalks.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 08:05:27 PM »
The Bogie hateses the beanses, yesss he doessss.... When he was a small child, he was forceded into the garden, and made to make the beanses happy... Bogie hateses EVERYTHINGS about the beanses...

Blog under construction

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 11:08:25 AM »
I used to love green beans, etc when I was a kid, but the stuff you can buy nowadays tastes like - well, nothing ... Sad  Might as well chew on rolled newspaper.

We tried a garden here, but the well water kills most everything. (we need a rain collection system)

Mmmmm... fried okra  cool  I haven't had that for more than thirty years. You can take the boy out of the South, but you can't take the South out of the boy.
I just bought a jar of Talk o' Texas brand spicy pickled okra.  Yee-haa!

Many years back, I met with some long-lost relatives down in Texas.  We all went out to eat at a place with a salad bar.  I scooped up a bunch of "pickled okra".  Yes, they were really spicy.

After a little bit, my cousin commented: " [my name] really likes jalapenos, doesn't he?"   shocked grin
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 01:14:18 PM »
Tempura green beans (the long, fresh ones) are pretty good, too. A buddy's wife is Japanese, she has made them a few times for get-togethers.
Actually, she made quite a few tempura vegetables. Good stuff.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 01:30:15 PM »
Is the South to blame for fried okra?  Then I'm glad they lost.  Tongue

I was also forced to pick beans and peas and such like, as a child.  And Daddy's garden was uncommonly large.  I ate fresh and home-canned produce all the time.  And you know what?  They're still just vegetables.  Nothing to write home about. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 06:41:45 PM »
Nothing to write home about.

Of course not - you already were home  laugh
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 08:24:29 PM »
Big old ham knuckle, pole beans, and potatoes boiled together in a pot.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 02:19:35 AM »
I was pleasantly surprised at the new grocery store in town, they stock a lot of stuff I missed when I lived in the South. I just bought a jar of Talk o' Texas brand spicy pickled okra.  Yee-haa!  grin

I've eaten entire jars of that stuff all by myself.

Chris

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 02:21:24 AM »
Is pickled okra slimey? That's one thing I couldn't stand about okra.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2007, 04:48:42 AM »

Slimy or not, okra is just freaking gross.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2007, 06:44:59 AM »
Big old ham knuckle, pole beans, and potatoes boiled together in a pot.

Plus an onion.  Must have an onion Wink

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2007, 06:54:34 AM »
I can take or leave the onion.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2007, 08:33:33 AM »
Don't cut into the body of okra, and it won't be slimy.  Steaming  or frying won't be slimy.   

onions!

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2007, 09:50:07 AM »

Hey! cheesy

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2007, 10:08:36 AM »

Hey! cheesy

I don't want ANYTHING at all to do with that particular onion...

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2007, 12:38:48 PM »
Just put up our first batch of green beans yesterday, 18 pints, plus a batch for supper.  I grow the Blue Lake bush beans.

Also pulled and topped my onions Saturday, one dollar's worth of sets, two 50 foot rows, yielded about 100 lbs.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2007, 12:41:25 PM »
I particularly like chow-chow.

Fried okra: good.
Okra &Tomatoes:better!
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2007, 12:48:02 PM »
Slimy or not, okra is just freaking gross.

QFT and FAFLU.

Okra &Tomatoes
  That way, you get plenty of okra and plenty of slimey.  Tongue
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2007, 05:24:45 PM »
Larry,

What kind of pressure canner do you use?