Author Topic: Idaho senator wants to divert air traffic away from his house  (Read 2816 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Idaho senator wants to divert air traffic away from his house
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2023, 12:33:08 PM »
I can't think of anything to add to this.  Maybe another Senator can troll and get it amended to diverts flights from every home in the US.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2023, 12:42:46 PM »
I found it interesting that this slug didn't have enough cajones to add the language to the bill himself, he tried to get some cover by asking Ted Cruz to add the language.

My view regarding aircraft noise and highway noise is that people who don't want to hear traffic noise shouldn't buy houses that are under flight paths, near airports, or adjacent to highways.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2023, 03:23:11 PM »
My home location is perfect:

1. A small municipal airport is three miles away. We get to see the light aircraft in the air all the time during good weather.
2. The early morning flights to the East Coast and Europe from Sea-Tac fly over this area outbound.  We get to see the occasional jet liner.
3. When the EA-18 Growlers from Whidbey go to practice in the North Cascades, they fly right over this area.  We get to see our tax dollars at work.  I am told this is the same route they used for filming some of the flight sequences in Top Gun Maverick, and those aircraft also flew out of Whidbey.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 05:54:52 PM by MillCreek »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2023, 03:31:27 PM »
I lived right over the IFR flightpath for aircraft coming in to Santa Barbara airport. On foggy and "off" wind days, everybody would fly right over my condo on the approach to 7 instead of the usual 25. It could get annoying. Luckily, that airport shut down at like 2300 - at least when I still lived there.

Now all I see is passenger jets high and far away, and crop dusters. I occasionally see some gov and heavy lift helos in my AO though.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2023, 03:51:08 PM »
I lived exactly 7 miles DME from the end of 32R at NAS Moffett Field directly below center line. If we were lined up properly I would always retract the landing lights as we went over so they pointed straight down. That way the kids knew I would be home soon. (The P3 has retractable landing lights on the trailing edge of the wings and as the Flight Engineer they belonged to me :) )

As far as the Senator, he is a *expletive deleted*che.

bob

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2023, 04:35:09 PM »
For whatever reason, I've lived within a mile of an airport with the last three homes I have owned.  A house in Colorado Springs was under the east downwind leg for COS N/S runway.  Lots of cool milspec and old warbirds transiting through there what with Peterson AFB on the far side of COS.
I lived less than a mile west of the Hillsboro, OR municipal airport before my divorce many years ago.  They held a great airshow there every year.  Flew in there on Sentimental Journey one time in 1986, ten years before buying that house.
I currently live just inside the downwind-to-base leg turn for the Hickory Municipal Airport.  I am maybe a third of a mile away as the crow flies for the nearest airport fence line.  They've got a great air museum there, and lots of interesting stuff transits through from time to time.
Honest, I didn't plan any of this.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2023, 09:36:32 PM »
When I lived in Brooklyn it was central to a bunch of large and small airports and also near the Long Island Expressway.  Noise was like air.

In Boulder, I lived on Hayden Lake, just on the west side of Boulder Municipal Airport (IATA: WBU, ICAO: KBDU, FAA LID: BDU) I loved climbing up on the dam and watching the planes, especially the glider tow planes which tipped sideways and dropped like rocks when the towee disconnected.

Here near Golden CO the Rocky Mountain Metropolitan Airport (IATA: BJC, ICAO: KBJC, FAA LID: BJC)  isn't too far away, and I'm not sure but since there are some thinly housed areas around here, maybe they use this airspace for teaching.  Seems like the same single enginer buzzes around fairly often.

Also, I'm in an alternate landing pattern for DIA and once in a while a succession of big jets go over and occasionally they spool down more or less near my house, but maybe that's jets landing at Jeffco.  At night, I can see landing lights south of me, but most of the time they turn off east or west for whatever reasons.

I tell ya true, at my age, hearing planes and traffic (not too far from I-70) confirms that hey, I can still hear.

So, Senator Pussy, be happy you too can hear.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 10:34:56 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2023, 09:30:15 AM »
Wonder if it could be arranged for some B-1s to do some full afterburner pull ups over this guy's house at 3am?  >:D [popcorn]
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2023, 09:59:10 AM »
Wonder if it could be arranged for some B-1s to do some full afterburner pull ups over this guy's house at 3am?  >:D [popcorn]

Well, Gowen Field is replacing the awesome A-10s with F-16s. The F-16s are supposed to be louder.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2023, 10:01:57 AM »

That would be neat. Senator Ahole would need to sleep with some "pull-ups" of his own when one of those B-1s rocketing skyward over his house caused his sphincter to have spasms. >:D

Woody

"Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2023, 04:36:10 PM »
There is a major AFB about 5 miles away.  At times, jets have taken off with their afterburners on and the "roar" can be heard inside the house.You know when a semi uses its engine to slow down ("jake breaking"??) and they make that staccato chatter, I used to live 3/4-1 mile away across an open field (not "open" any more) and could hear that "chatter" clearly.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2023, 07:14:20 PM »

*expletive deleted*it like this pisses me off.  I have personal knowledge of 2 dirt tracks and one airport that have been shut down because aholes move into the area where the business has been operating for years, then complain about the noise until the business gets shut down.

I didn't use the airport except for the restaurant, but I raced at both tracks.

I drive past an airport community on the way to work.  A runway with houses built along both sides, with attached hangers.  There are all sorts of small planes going in and out of there.  Not too many miles down the road from there is the local airport - there are a couple of bi-wings that fly out of there.