Author Topic: YOUR CONGRESS HELPS MAINTAIN HIGH GAS PRICES  (Read 4652 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
YOUR CONGRESS HELPS MAINTAIN HIGH GAS PRICES
« on: April 30, 2008, 09:48:36 AM »
If you want to follow links, go to the source:
http://instapundit.com/archives2/018595.php

April 30, 2008

YOUR CONGRESS HELPS MAINTAIN HIGH GAS PRICES:

In an interesting tussle, a virtually unnoticed clause was added almost at the least moment to a US energy bill that bars the government, in particular the Department of Defense, from using Alberta crude because it is deemed unconventional and too dirty.

A provision in the US Carbon Neutral Government Act incorporated into the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 act effectively bars the US government from buying fuels that have greater life-cycle emissions than fuels produced from conventional petroleum sources.

The United States has defined Alberta oilsands as unconventional because the bitumen mined from the ground requires upgrading and refining as opposed to the traditional crude pumped from oil wells.

California Democrat Representative Henry Waxman, chairman of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform and Republican Tom Davis added the clause.

Thanks, guys. I'll remember you whenever I fill up. Some cynics might suspect a corrupt motive:
    Wihbey underlines Saudi Arabia and Canada were direct competitors for the biggest customer: the US. David Kirsch, head of Oil Markets PFC Energy, says that In the US mid-continent, the penetration of oilsands crude is deep, they are increasingly competing with the long haul crude from the Middle East. Until recently we saw a Saudi domination, but now it is becoming a Canadian affair. And thats why the Saudis are starting to play hardball, claimed Wihbey.

Theyre playing hardball ... then all of a sudden this legislation pops in, literally a month after these statements were made in November, noted Wihbey.

But I'm sure it's just a sincere concern for the environment. I had missed this story, and I suspect most people did. Via Jerry Pournelle, who observes:

The easy way to make ethanol is to import sugar from Brazil and use that. Of course we don't and won't do that.

The easy way to bring oil prices down is to drill offshore and on the North Slope. Of course we don't do that.

The easy way to bring electricity prices down (you can make fertilizer with electricity) is to build nuclear power plants, expensive but cheap compared to wars. Of course we won't do that.

And why won't we?

UPDATE: Environmentalists are indefatigably trying to block this new source of energy:

Alberta's oilsands came under fire in Washington, D.C. yesterday, with environmentalists protesting the visit of deputy premier Ron Stevens and demanding a ban on "dirty oil" be enforced.

The National Resource Defense Council, which claims 1.3 million members across the U.S., [NOTE: I think they mean the Natural Resources Defense Council] bought an ad in the widely read Capitol Hill Roll Call newspaper, featuring a Maple Leaf oozing oil.

If we really do see seven-dollar gas by 2012 as some are predicting, we'll know who to blame. On the other hand, here's some good news:

Alberta expects a U.S. working group to classify the province´s oilsands fuel as a conventional resource to exempt it from tough new restrictions on imports, provincial envoy Gary Mar said Tuesday.

It certainly should.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Re: YOUR CONGRESS HELPS MAINTAIN HIGH GAS PRICES
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 09:52:16 AM »
ohnoes!
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 09:55:14 AM »
Ohnoes is right.

Let's friggin' drill everywhere, scrounging for more of that previously unlimited supply of black liquid that makes the world go around.

We'll start in my back yard.   rolleyes
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 09:56:51 AM »
BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

[sound of mobile oil drilling rig backing up into G-98's yard]
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 10:43:52 AM »
I think that the net difference this will make is slightly below zilch.  In an unconstrained market the DoD will simply buy their fuel from one of the multitude of other sources while Alberta oil sand crude will go to fill non-DoD tanks.

Probably a little more administrative work on the part of the DoD to make sure the fuel we buy didn't come from there, which will be difficult for small purchases.  Manufacturers, by default, aren't set up to tell you that that particular 2k gallons of diesel came from Alberta or not.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 10:49:41 AM »
Ohnoes is right.

Let's friggin' drill everywhere, scrounging for more of that previously unlimited supply of black liquid that makes the world go around.

We'll start in my back yard.   rolleyes

mine too, if its good for all of us then I denouce NIMBY! Plus it will piss off my squirrel kissing neighbors.

NIMBY members are traitors!

Just try not to hurt my garden.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 11:08:59 AM »
The easy way to make ethanol is to import sugar from Brazil and use that. Of course we don't and won't do that.
Can't blame the enviros for that. That's your good ol' American sugar lobby... can't compete with outside prices, institute a tariff on 'em. At least we're not outsourcing.
Also the reason US-bottled Coke and Pepsi have high fructose corn syrup, while Mexico's got sugar in theirs.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 11:11:05 AM »
More proof that we have the best government money can buy.  So be sure to vote.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 11:12:36 AM »
"can't compete with outside prices, institute a tariff on 'em."

Exactly.

We need massive and punitive tariffs on every product made and every crop grown in the United States to protect the American worker and make sure that jobs aren't shipped overseas.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

taurusowner

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 12:12:51 PM »
Everytime Congress gets bribed by te ecofreaks to ban drilling and refining our own oil they help maintain high gas prices.  This is nothing new. 

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 03:10:34 AM »
More proof that we have the best government money can buy.  So be sure to vote.

That's right!  Lets all sit on our asses and do nothing!  That'll teach 'em!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 03:39:03 AM »
As I see it, there are a number of factors involved in the rising cost of energy . . . in no particular order:

1. Rising demand, particularly from China and India.
2. Politicians are preventing drilling in ANWR.
3. Politicians are preventing additional drilling in the Gulf. (Reserved for China/Cuba.)
4. Politicians are preventing wind farms in places like the Northeast (eyesore from Kennedy compound) and south Texas. (Alleged bird hazard.)
5. Politicians are preventing coal mining and coal gasification.
6. Politicians are preventing coal plants from being built.
7. Politicians are preventing refineries from being built. (Zoning, OSHA, EPA, others.)
8. Politicians are encouraging smaller hydropower dams to be torn down. (Fish access.)
9. Politicians have prevented new nuke plants for 30 years, ESPECIALLY breeder reactors.
10. Politicians are using tax money to subsidize biofuels - in particular, ethanol - because large agribusinesses and large ethanol producers have made large campaign contributions.
11. Politicians (through the EPA) are micromismanaging fuel blends with literally dozens of mandated mixtures, varying by both region and season.
12. Politicians have screwed up government spending (deficits, interest rate cuts, mismanagement of the money supply) causing the dollar to plummet, which of course raises the price of all imports - including energy.

#1 we can't control, responsibility for #12 falls on both parties, and #2-11 can largely - but not exclusively! -  be laid at the Democrat's doorstep. (And of course, the Stupid Party is too timid to point this out.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 05:41:44 AM »
My backyard is the second largest natural oil and gas seep in the world. I wish they WOULD drill here so I don't have to step in freakin' tarballs everytime I run on the beach.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 08:22:24 AM »
DRILL LA BREA!

grin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2008, 08:29:20 AM »
My backyard is the second largest natural oil and gas seep in the world. I wish they WOULD drill here so I don't have to step in freakin' tarballs everytime I run on the beach.

Huh?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2008, 08:30:43 AM »

Huh?

Oil seeps are where it comes to the surface on its own. There's a huge one off Santa Barbara.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2008, 08:38:11 AM »
A friend and colleague of mine runs this site: http://bubbleology.com  which gives a nice overview of the Coal Oil Point area.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2008, 08:44:12 AM »
A friend and colleague of mine runs this site: http://bubbleology.com  which gives a nice overview of the Coal Oil Point area.

The ironic thing is that, AFAIK, more "greenhouse gas" comes out of there every day than from all the vehicles in the entire county. But the greenies are all "NO DRILL!"...

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2008, 09:09:32 AM »
Yup -- there's actually well documented and peer reviewed evidence that the one small offshore rig that was pumping there for a while created a significant reduction in pressure that resulted in much less flow of liquid and less resulting tar hitting the beaches. The paper was co-written by one of my Professors, who was a big enviro, back when I was in Grad school.