Author Topic: Ride in Flying Boat  (Read 1950 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Ride in Flying Boat
« on: June 06, 2012, 11:51:08 PM »
This is just shiny  :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW6b4AXzVi8

For some reason, those old Catalinas have always been of interest to me.

"splash and go"  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Ride in Flying Boat
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 12:46:13 AM »
One of my old bosses was a waist gunner in a PBY in the Pacific War.  Said he never fired a shot in anger, although when in high spirits on the way back to base they used to dump a few rounds "just to see if the guns were working."  Said they made a lot of water rescues, though, and pickup and delivery of various personnel to various islands.

Nice vid!  I couald almost smell the sea air.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 12:49:21 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 08:33:42 AM »
my brother was co-pilot on cousteau's pby for a short time.  unfortunatly i never had a chance to fly with him, although i did get a tour of the plane.   he left the job as he felt philippe (pilot) took too many risks.  about three months later the plane crashed during a high speed taxi killing phillippe.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 09:31:55 AM »
Too cool.  :cool:

Some people said they were ungainly, but I always thought those old PBYs were some of the best looking aircraft of the WWII era.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 09:32:38 AM »
Had an HU16 come through a few months ago.  She was beautiful!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 11:30:40 AM »
Can't remember the name of the book, but someone wrote their memoirs while in Patrol Wing 1, based in the Philppines at the outset of WWII.  Non self-sealing fuel tanks, located in the high wing, above what is basically a boat hull.  A couple of 7.7 bullet holes, and you fill the fuselage with avgas.  The stones on those guys...
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 01:15:30 PM »
Can't remember the name of the book, but someone wrote their memoirs while in Patrol Wing 1, based in the Philppines at the outset of WWII.  Non self-sealing fuel tanks, located in the high wing, above what is basically a boat hull.  A couple of 7.7 bullet holes, and you fill the fuselage with avgas.  The stones on those guys...

Flying a Catalina could be blast!  :O

Anyway, I found another video also about the design and construction.  To my surprise, I learned that the engineer actually sits up in the "sail" above the fuselage between the two engines, and there is a little window on each side - I guess so that he can see if one is on fire.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 03:11:48 PM »
There is a more detailed account of this in Edward Jablonski's Airwar books but here is a story of a PBY as a torpedo bomber:

http://www.goefoundation.com/index.php/eagles/biographies/c/cram-jack-r./

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 05:51:14 PM »
Pretty neat.

There was a DC-3 parked just off the tarmac there (along with a couple of other nice-looking older aircraft). The DC-3 has always been my favorite airplane.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 02:03:51 AM »
Did a stint as an Air Explorer sponsored by N.A.S. North Island, spent an afternoon in a Martin P5 Marlin.  We all took a turn in the second seat, herding that beast through some very gentle turns (no full stick flying that day, or any day in a P5 =D,) then picnicked on the wing, tied up to one of the buoys that was all that remained of Tin Can Alley.  Quite a day in quite an aircraft.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 10:42:26 AM »
Boats and airplanes in one package: what's not to love?  =)

Only thing missing is a mast and cloth, so that in case you have to land on the open sea because of engine failure or running out of fuel, then you can sail home  :lol:

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 05:11:51 PM »
Oh, and having ridden in about a half dozen airplanes of 50+yo vintage, I'm very leery of flying in anything that is older than I am.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 05:50:00 PM »
Oh, and having ridden in about a half dozen airplanes of 50+yo vintage, I'm very leery of flying in anything that is older than I am.

What - you worried about a 70 year fabric covered wing ?   :lol:

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 09:20:28 PM »

What - you worried about a 70 year fabric covered wing ?   :lol:

Flew in some two seat jobber once....I can't recall the make but it was an inline seating arrangement and maxed out around 60 knots. Some kind of WWII spotter bird. Actually wasn't nearly as scary as a ride in a twin beech I once had.
JD