Author Topic: Why government doesn't work  (Read 2031 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Why government doesn't work
« on: May 24, 2014, 10:15:01 PM »
I don't think this is political, just a general observation on wide-spread incompetence. Someone just e-mailed me a safety memo from the Connecticut Department of Transportation. Right at the top it starts off with the following:

In 2012, there were 775 total fatalities in construction and of that number, 269 were fatalities.

That's not a typo (at least not on my part) -- that's exactly what was written and promulgated by the State of Connecticut. It's painfully obvious that they don't teach readin' and writin' in school any more.

The obvious question is: If 269 of the 775 fatalities were fatalities, what were the other 506 fatalities?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 01:05:24 AM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Why government doesn't work
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 11:22:10 PM »
Well, they weren't fatalities.

Obviously, they were fatalities.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 01:06:38 AM »
Best I can come up with is that in 2012 some fatalities were more fatal than other fatalities.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 06:24:06 AM »
My professional license requires 150 hours of continuing education. A minimum of 60 hours of pre approved authorized classroom type catagory 1 hours and up to 90 "soft hours" self study webinar type. I spent almost 20 minutes on the phone after someone from the state called me about my license renewal. I logged 280 type 1 (I took a certification course and taught a seminar) and no type 2 hours. I had to read the law to her and explain (over and over) how cat 1 satisfied the requirement and then some and I didn't bother to list my cat 2 hours. She insisted she could not leave that entry blank or put a zero in it so I told her it was a thousand.
After several seconds of silence she hung up on me. I fully expect an audit.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 11:44:58 AM »
what were the other 506 fatalities?

Only mostly dead ?   =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 11:49:38 AM »
I don't think this is political, just a general observation on wide-spread incompetence . . .
You see it every day, from street signs, to newspapers, to the TV news . . . more and more, our entitlement/self-esteem/diversity culture seems to be steering us towards the world dramatized in the movie Idiocracy.

Well, they weren't fatalities.

Obviously, they were fatalities.
I wonder where they buried the survivors . . .  ;)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 12:57:36 PM »
Best I can come up with is that in 2012 some fatalities were more fatal than other fatalities.

Or perhaps they were not dead yet.  Cue the Monty Python 'bring out your dead' sketch.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 06:51:21 PM »
We should ask Whoopi Goldberg about this. Maybe some of them weren't fatality-fatalities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFcI0kAypu8#t=0m10.5s
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 06:55:21 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 01:51:40 PM »
My professional license requires 150 hours of continuing education. A minimum of 60 hours of pre approved authorized classroom type catagory 1 hours and up to 90 "soft hours" self study webinar type. I spent almost 20 minutes on the phone after someone from the state called me about my license renewal. I logged 280 type 1 (I took a certification course and taught a seminar) and no type 2 hours. I had to read the law to her and explain (over and over) how cat 1 satisfied the requirement and then some and I didn't bother to list my cat 2 hours. She insisted she could not leave that entry blank or put a zero in it so I told her it was a thousand.
After several seconds of silence she hung up on me. I fully expect an audit.

Wow, that's a lot of CEU's. I think it's 24 per three year span here in WA for an 07 electrician's license. May I ask what field you're in?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 08:35:25 AM »
Only mostly dead ?   =|

Only until they go through their pockets and look for loose change. THEN they're all-dead.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 11:21:16 AM »
Hopefully this doesn't veer this thread in a political direction. 

In all the .gov positions I've held, as well as the anecdotal evidence from .gov employees I've known, there is what I term the 90/10 method of hiring.  The organization/agency employs 10 people for every one person that is actually effective.  The other nine are place holders.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 11:31:20 PM »
Hopefully this doesn't veer this thread in a political direction. 

In all the .gov positions I've held, as well as the anecdotal evidence from .gov employees I've known, there is what I term the 90/10 method of hiring.  The organization/agency employs 10 people for every one person that is actually effective.  The other nine are place holders.
And there is no incentive to change that on the part of the managers. 

β€œIt is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 11:42:20 PM »
And there is no incentive to change that on the part of the managers. 

Managers get prmoted based on "headcount" not actually doing their jobs.  See the VA and bonuses for examples.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2014, 01:38:05 PM »
Here's another example of incompetence - a Korean War memorial in Ohio. Take a look at the picture - anyone (especially vets) see anything wrong with the images?

Here's a link to the story:

https://news.yahoo.com/ohio-towns-korean-war-memorial-under-fire-blunders-134434822.html;_ylt=A0LEVzpMEopTaw4AjrFXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEzZHNlaW8xBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1ZJUDQ0NF8x

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2014, 05:36:15 PM »
Here's another example of incompetence - a Korean War memorial in Ohio. Take a look at the picture - anyone (especially vets) see anything wrong with the images?

Here's a link to the story:

https://news.yahoo.com/ohio-towns-korean-war-memorial-under-fire-blunders-134434822.html;_ylt=A0LEVzpMEopTaw4AjrFXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEzZHNlaW8xBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1ZJUDQ0NF8x

Oh dear.  It took me hours.*

Is the jello you don't like?  Maybe the kangaroo?  No problem, I'll paint him out and make him a disciple !!

The M1 Abrams or the "fritz" helmets the troops in (desert) camo are wearing?   Oh, I know !!!  It's the (early) Vietnam era Helicopter or maybe the jets portrayed (I can't tell what they are but they modern not 1950-ish style).

Anyway it's enough for this:  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

* - My all- time favorite:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9Aj7W3g1qo
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 12:53:56 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2014, 05:39:05 PM »
Wasn't it a non government group that approved the memorial? Reviewed it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

HankB

• friend