Author Topic: New, full Trek trailer is up...  (Read 2114 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
New, full Trek trailer is up...
« on: November 18, 2008, 02:10:28 PM »
It's definitely different.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/startrek/

Trailers are meant to excite people, so I can't tell if it's going to be a beat-you-over-the-head meaningless actionfest like Transformers, or something more. Don't know.

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: New, full Trek trailer is up...
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 02:12:02 PM »
I love the shot where they're building the Enterprise on the Earth's surface.  Kind of neat.

Chris

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 02:15:32 PM »
I know that's not the music, though. That's stock from something else. Michael Giacchino (Incredibles) is doing the soundtrack, so it will be a lot more stylish, I would expect.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 02:27:28 PM »
Definitely more "throttle" than Star Trek is known for.  Good.

Hopefully less Deus ex Machina, too.  I hate that crap.

This looks like a "trek" I can look forward to.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 02:29:32 PM »
I like this. RETRO. :) Part 1977 Star Wars, part "Open the Pod Bay Door, Hal?"

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 02:31:28 PM »
I like it.

Not sure if it'll be good or bad, but I think it at least ranks in the worth seeing category.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 02:33:59 PM »
Those guys look like they are going to slip...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 03:28:16 PM »
I'd have liked Matt Damon as the captian, and I still have lots of ??? with the timeline of how Kirk winds up on the Enterprise before/after captian Pike from the original pilot episode. (Pike gets removed as captian to hide the secret of the Talos IV telepaths with squish head veins?)

And that Corvette the kid-Kirk threw over the cliff would have been what... 300-450 years old by then? (Forgive me, for not knowing, I've been with women in the biblical sense, married, and had kids, and thus can't retain that needed level of trivia/nerd-dom...) I get that a "classic car" that was 50 years old (even a century) to Kirk would still have looked so futuristic as to look meaningless to the audience (brash joy-ride gone bad?) but the 20th century car still seems too incredible, even for a fantasy movie.

The hover-motorcycle cop with the face-mask and electronic voice also looks too fascist/stormtrooper-Boba-Fett for a policeman in Earth's peaceful golden age of the Early Federation. The Jodphur-style riding pants simply made me think of NJ State Troopers, which doesn't help...  :lol: They should have thrown a recognizeable touch of Andy Griffith Mayberry/rural Iowa county deputy in there somehow. Maybe even had him shake his head wearily and say "Damn, James. I should have known it'd be you...."

I don't think the sex is over-done, it WAS what they were constantly alluding to in TOS. So be it.

Spock taking a poke at Kirk seems kind of out of place. He did do so in the TOS several times, but had Pon Far Vulcan mating blood-lust, alien flower emotion-spores, or mind-controling aliens forcing him. I'm sure it's going to be "Spock's Human and Vulcan sides battling..." blah, blah, blah. I'm sure on any real ship, even a harsh word the wrong way up the chain of command would end a career, much less a punch.  :rolleyes:

That's the one thing I always liked about STTNG, they were much more formal and paid lip-service to chain-of-command more realistically, at least some of the time.

Despite all that, it indeed looks like it's in the "worth seeing" category.

I did like the next scene where now the older Kirk is on a hover-bike at dusk or dawn, and you're led to believe you're seing American Southwest mesa's then the shot pans and you realize the mesa's are gigantic arcologies or skyscrapers. That was kind of cool.
I promise not to duck.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 03:36:08 PM »
I thought Kirk was from Iowa.

At least Spock looks like Spock.  =(
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 03:40:26 PM »
And that Corvette the kid-Kirk threw over the cliff would have been what... 300-450 years old by then? (Forgive me, for not knowing, I've been with women in the biblical sense, married, and had kids, and thus can't retain that needed level of trivia/nerd-dom...) I get that a "classic car" that was 50 years old (even a century) to Kirk would still have looked so futuristic as to look meaningless to the audience (brash joy-ride gone bad?) but the 20th century car still seems too incredible, even for a fantasy movie.

The consensus on movie boards based on what Abrams said is that it's either his evil uncle's toy, why he wanted to wreck it, or just a repro, since you can supposedly get any item from a slot in a wall.

Also, I was recently climbing around on a functioning reproduction of a 19th century trading vessel that was built only a few years ago, so...
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 03:46:37 PM by Manedwolf »

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 04:11:44 PM »
And here am I, fully expecting to see some ultra-lightweight carbon and glass popup camper made by a bicycle company.

=(
7-11 was a part time job.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 04:14:37 PM »
I thought Kirk was from Iowa.

At least Spock looks like Spock.  =(

Didn't the vette have Iowa plates?

And yeah, the guy who plays Sylar on Heroes looks to be able to pull off a very convincing young Spock.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 04:18:45 PM »
Iowa does NOT look like that.  If anything, California (*vomit*) does.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 04:24:46 PM »
And here am I, fully expecting to see some ultra-lightweight carbon and glass popup camper made by a bicycle company.

=(

Yeah, I did a doubletake as well, but I saw it this morning while watching the Tivo'd Sarah Connor Chronicles, so I kind of had a heads up...

Chris