Author Topic: Another mall rampage, Omaha, Nebraska, at least five down  (Read 4028 times)

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Re: Another mall rampage, Omaha, Nebraska, at least five down
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2007, 06:09:02 AM »
Rob, friendly fire happens.  So, yes, that could happen.  That's why I'm not going to get involved unless I have to.

If shooter is down and his head is separated from his body by 3 feet or more, after looking about, I'm going to put my pistol away and sit down so I can still see the headless shooter (body guys shot often "wake up"). 

If I hear or know the cops are coming, I'm screaming at the top of my lungs "police officer, don't shoot me!" and if I have time I put the pistol on the floor and back away or have my foot on the pistol.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2007, 06:54:55 AM »
What really bugs me is that, apparently, someone spoke to him on the phone, trying to get him to return home with NO success. WHY didn't they call 9-1-1 and report that incident after they had failed?? The entire thing could have been averted had they done so, at least I THINK it could have been. Also, with most everybody having a cell phone, why didn't someone call the cops when they saw this man come into the mall with an uncased rifle??
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2007, 07:28:38 AM »
CNN wins the award for today's "Idiocracy" news line:

Warren said Hawkins' body and the AK-47 with SKS 7.66 mm ammunition were found on the store's third floor.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/12/06/mall.shooting/index.html

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2007, 07:57:10 AM »
CNN wins the award for today's "Idiocracy" news line:

Warren said Hawkins' body and the AK-47 with SKS 7.66 mm ammunition were found on the store's third floor.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/12/06/mall.shooting/index.html

about on par with most of their other reporting. you have to remember that reporters are not required to have any special knowledge of what they report, but they think they have it none the less. usually they don't have a clue about anything they are reporting and just parrot the press releases they get.

the police chief was the one who called it an ak47 then an SKS and made up a non-existent ammo for whatever it is. cnn no doubt just copied his press release.

i don't even blame the police chief. he probably wouldn't know the difference either and relied on information from someone else.

i remember a local cop one time who was quoted by the local rag as referring to a firearm as a "semi-automatic assault gun pistol" (or something like that - was a while ago i read it). the picture of the gun he was talking about looked like a DA revolver to me.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2007, 09:39:56 AM »
The fact that the major media outlets can't even GOOGLE a damned item before reporting on it certainly explains why less and less people are watching TV nooz, and just get facts they can verify themselves online.

Also, here go the gleeful blood-soaked dances already. This one is from the VPC:

SKS Assault RiflesA Menace to Public Safety

WASHINGTON, DC - December 6 - Following yesterday's shooting at the Westroads Mall in Omaha, Nebraska, the Violence Policy Center (www.vpc.org) today released a backgrounder on SKS assault rifles:

SKS Assault RiflesA Menace to Public Safety: http://www.vpc.org/fact_sht/SKSfactsheet.pdf

The backgrounder notes that SKS assault rifles are the rifle model most frequently encountered by law enforcement officers, according to a 2002 report by the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF). The ATF report also notes that these high capacity rifles pose an enhanced threat to law enforcement, in part because of their ability to expel projectiles at velocities that are capable of penetrating the type of soft body armor typically worn by the law enforcement officers. Despite the hazard this assault weapon poses to law enforcement and the general public, the rifle was not covered by the federal assault weapons ban that expired in 2004.

The backgrounder also notes that Russian SKS assault rifles may not be imported pursuant to voluntary trade agreements initiated during the Clinton Administration. The Bush Administration, however, has specifically authorized the import of SKS rifles manufactured in Albania and the former Yugoslavia.

http://www.commondreams.org/news2007/1206-06.htm

Paddy

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2007, 12:45:02 PM »
from the link:
"these high capacity rifles pose an enhanced threat to law enforcement, in part because of their
ability to expel projectiles at velocities that are capable of penetrating the type of soft
body armor typically worn by the law enforcement officers.

Yikes! I have two of these evil 'AW's, a Yugo and a Chinese, and never knew they possessed this ability.  I'll have to check up on them and see what they've been doing.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2007, 02:03:15 PM »
A fixed 10 round mag is "high capacity" now? God, the next AWB is gonna have a 5 round limit, "cause that's all you need for hunting." angry
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2007, 02:28:20 PM »
Brady II set a magazine limit at 7.

You will see it again, in January 2009. grin

Police now.  Buy them cheap and bury them deep. police
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Len Budney

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2007, 03:30:43 AM »
Yikes! I have two of these evil 'AW's, a Yugo and a Chinese, and never knew they possessed this ability.

To penetrate body armor? Sure--police body armor doesn't include rifle plates. They're really only effective against pistol fire.

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2007, 04:40:34 AM »
This Colorado station just offered invaluable advice in case of a mall shooter:
Mall Shooting: How to Protect Yourself

Local News Posted on December 6th, 2007 by Sarah Brodhead.

The mall shooting in Omaha has a lot of people wondering if it could happen here.
Local authorities and mall officials say you can't prevent this type of tragedy... but you can prepare for it.
"When I was leaving my house for the mall this morning, I wondered if I should go considering what happened," says Megan Stenhouse, a mother of four young children. "I'd like to think that it wouldn't happen here," laments shopper Kathy Schied. But it could happen anywhere.
"In a case like a mall shooting, you should avoid the threat," says Grand Junction Police Department officer T.J. Rix.
Authorities say they do have plans in place if a shooting happened here, however, mall security is being tight-lipped about what those plans actually are.
"All of our security officers go through a comprehensive training program," says Paul Petersen, general manager of Mesa Mall.
Police say if a shooter opened fire in a store with direct exits, you should go outside.
If you're in a store wedged between others, it's best to go to the back, get down, and stay out of sight.
You should also be aware of your surroundings and don't put yourself in a vulnerable position.

http://krex.tv/modules/news/article.php?storyid=802

By the way, one of the 911 calls is chilling not because of what you hear, but because of the blase response of the dispatcher. The person calling didn't want to talk, obviously, for fear of being heard, or perhaps they'd been shot. But you can clearly hear:

"911, please state your emergency."

*BLAM BLAM BLAM* *BLAM*

"911....hellloooo....please state your emergency."

*BLAM BLAM BLAM*

*silence*

"Hellloooo....."

It was really freaking obvious that it was rifle fire, even in the recording, with the echo of an indoor space.

So much for "the police will arrive quickly". It took them six minutes.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2007, 05:15:40 AM »
mall security is being tight-lipped about what those plans actually are

Where, oh where, are the electric tactical response vehicles?
Are they issuing extra trauma plates and duct tape?
What about the boots that let you walk on walls?
What about the nightly practice?
What about saving little boys from being raped in bathrooms?
What about the Special Weapons "superior to HK" guns?
What about the large asian gangs?

So many questions...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Paddy

« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2007, 05:25:24 AM »
Yikes! I have two of these evil 'AW's, a Yugo and a Chinese, and never knew they possessed this ability.

To penetrate body armor? Sure--police body armor doesn't include rifle plates. They're really only effective against pistol fire.

--Len.

AFAIK, they do not independently have this ability.  I, or another person, must first pick up the weapon, load it with the correct ammunition, aim and fire at the police body armor in order to penetrate same. 

Len Budney

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2007, 05:39:25 AM »

AFAIK, they do not independently have this ability.  I, or another person, must first pick up the weapon, load it with the correct ammunition, aim and fire at the police body armor in order to penetrate same. 

Ah--gotcha. I misunderstood you.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2007, 05:44:43 AM »
What really bugs me is that, apparently, someone spoke to him on the phone, trying to get him to return home with NO success. WHY didn't they call 9-1-1 and report that incident after they had failed?? The entire thing could have been averted had they done so, at least I THINK it could have been. Also, with most everybody having a cell phone, why didn't someone call the cops when they saw this man come into the mall with an uncased rifle??

CBS interviewed this woman.  The shooter gave no clue as to what he would do or where he was going.  She thought he might hurt himself, but didn't know.  I don't know why people didn't call 911 when he was walking around with the SKS.  I wondered the same thing.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2007, 12:56:05 PM »
A news article on Yahoo mentioned the guy was known for psychotic tendencies, was convicted of a felony, and was due in court in two weeks. By all accounts, he could not have possessed the rifle legally. Not that that fact would make much of a difference for gunbanners' rhetoric.

Manedwolf is right in that national coverage only encourages the psychoes who want to be famous. Copycats are sure to follow.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2007, 01:16:02 PM »
Well, I've now seen an alleged picture of the alleged shooter holding the alleged rifle.....  From drudge....   Gonna see if I can upload it here.....

The picture is *really* blurry, but it does appear to be an AK-type rifle....  Front sight looks too tall to be an SKS.......

(k, can't upload it.  says upload folder is full.  It's currently the main image on www.drudgereport.com )
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2007, 01:25:09 PM »
Well, I've now seen an alleged picture of the alleged shooter holding the alleged rifle.....  From drudge....   Gonna see if I can upload it here.....

The picture is *really* blurry, but it does appear to be an AK-type rifle....  Front sight looks too tall to be an SKS.......

It looks like a Chinese Type 56 sight to me. Hood and all. Which is an SKS.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2007, 01:49:17 PM »
One of the medias just called it an AK-47
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2007, 02:33:24 PM »
One of the medias just called it an AK-47

The nooz has also called it a machine gun and automatic.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2007, 06:28:46 AM »
Hi all, been absent for a while due to divorce, but here's the inside scoop: NE has CCW, but just about every store in Omaha is posted "no carry". The rifle in question is an AK47, the shooter used 2 mags taped together for quick reload. The shooter was very proficient with this particular weapon, as he was very successful with head shots. Most of the women shot were shot in the face. The chief of Police was being deliberately vague about the weapon, not that he didn't know what he was talking about.
My source for this info is Omaha PD, has seen all of the security videos, and is very close to the Chief. I was there 2 weeks ago and can confirm the "no carry" postings .