Author Topic: State Department Reversal on UN arms treaty  (Read 7196 times)

Stetson

• friends
State Department Reversal on UN arms treaty
« on: May 28, 2010, 01:22:09 PM »
http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSTRE59E0Q920091015

The panic in the blogosphere is just heating up as people find out about this.

Im glad no one listened when the current administration said they had no interest in banning guns.  [barf]

red headed stranger

• friend
Re: State Department Reversal on UN arms treaty
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 01:31:21 PM »
"Governments must resist US demands to give any single state the power to veto the treaty as this could hold the process hostage during the course of negotiations. We call on all governments to reject such a veto clause," said Oxfam International's policy adviser Debbie Hillier.

Ms. Hiller obviously hates countries asserting their sovereignty.  
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 02:58:10 PM »
It's a-coming boys. They don't need to pass laws, just let other nations do it for us...  :mad:
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 03:45:11 PM »
Molon labe.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 04:06:10 PM »
Byline from article is Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:56pm EDT...NRA-ILA sent an email out about this since this is making the rounds again.  I still don't like it and cannot wait until 2012.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 05:02:35 PM »
Molon labe.

I happen to be passably aware and conversant with 20,000 people this year that have heard the story of Government's attempt to seize lay folks' arms one spring day in 1775.  Also its attempt to starve a continent of arms and ammo by trade embargo.

Next year, I'm hoping that number is closer to 40-50,000.

Not that they're all of one mindset, nor are they the only ones that might feel any particular way about anything.

Just sayin, they've heard the story, and they have even learned to shoot a little bit. ;)
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 11:11:51 AM »
Dear State Department,

Bite me.

Arms control is a meaningless political stunt designed as an excuse to oppress legitimate freedom fighters in dictatorial or corrupt 3rd world countries whenever it serves the purposes of other governments.  It also leads to abusive selective enforcement in more developed countries, since regulating possessions and machine shops is inherently impractical.

Think the drug war is bad?  Drive all gun manufacturing and possession underground.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

nico

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 01:55:26 PM »
I still don't get how this could possibly pass Constitutional muster (not saying obama wouldn't do it).  Where in the Constitution does it say a treaty can override any part of the Constitution. 

ETA: if this passes, gun/ammo prices are going to go through the roof. 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 01:59:07 PM by nico »

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 06:07:54 PM »
Any senator that votes to ratify this--Republican or Democrat--will have hell to pay in the next election....  :mad:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 07:59:33 PM »
Any senator that votes to ratify this--Republican or Democrat--will have hell to pay in the next election....  :mad:

Will they?  I really mean it, will they?  This country saw 2 towers fall to the ground, the Pentagon get slammed into and a jet crash in Pennsylvania.  They promptly went back to sleep.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 08:50:37 PM »
Will they?  I really mean it, will they?  This country saw 2 towers fall to the ground, the Pentagon get slammed into and a jet crash in Pennsylvania.  They promptly went back to sleep.

What he said.

Americans just plain don't care.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 09:48:38 PM »
Hillary Clinton And The UN Arms Trade Treaty Rumor

Friday, May 28, 2010

We continue to receive numerous inquiries regarding UN international treaties, and their impact on our Second Amendment rights.  The latest rumor making its way around the Internet claims that Secretary of State Hillary Clinton actually signed a UN small arms treaty.

Contrary to this widely circulated e-mail, Hillary Clinton has not signed any small arms treaty.  She could not have done so, in fact, because no such treaty has yet been negotiated.

As we noted in an update from last November, the UN Arms Trade Treaty will be drafted between now and 2012,  and even if signed, would not take effect in the U.S. until it was ratified by the Senate.

Please rest assured that, as we said in November, NRA will be actively involved in this process and will oppose any treaty that would attempt to impose limits on our Second Amendment rights.  In the meantime, we urge gun owners to follow this issue in NRA's magazines and NRA-ILA's Grassroots Alerts.  We also urge gun owners not to circulate misinformation on this issue.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.aspx?id=5855
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 11:48:55 PM by MicroBalrog »
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 11:06:17 PM »
We also urge gun owners not to circulate misinformation on this issue.

QFT
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 11:58:25 PM »
Didnt realize Reuters news service was a rumor mill.... ???

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 04:10:50 AM »

Old news.  Read the publishing date.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 09:53:34 AM »
Old news.  Read the publishing date.

Nevertheless, I miss John Bolton...
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2010, 10:07:04 AM »

While it is an old story it is not a dead story...

Not a bad thing to revisit it and check on the current status of the gun grabbers agenda.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2010, 11:58:03 AM »
It will never be an old story so long as the desire to disarm free men and women exists.  We need to remain vigilant because they are not going to stop.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2010, 05:49:47 PM »
Treaties do need a 2/3 majority.  You need people from both parties to do that even now.  That would also be a test for all these "pro-gun" democrats.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2010, 10:12:27 PM »

Reuters news service is about as good as infowars and WND is better then both
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2010, 02:47:29 PM »
Does anyone have a link to the actual text of this proposed treaty yet?

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2010, 07:57:08 AM »
Treaties do need a 2/3 majority.  You need people from both parties to do that even now.
Unless of course our elected representatives decide to submit it as an agreement, not a treaty.  The difference?  Simple majority v. 2/3's majority.  Recent examples include WTO, NAFTA, and CAFTA.  Fact is most mulitlateral trade agreements are submitted as such.  Unconsitutional?  Youbetcha.  So what.  Any action against firearms will show up as an agreement and therefore be submitted as an agreement.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2010, 10:53:21 PM »
Unless of course our elected representatives decide to submit it as an agreement, not a treaty.  The difference?  Simple majority v. 2/3's majority.  Recent examples include WTO, NAFTA, and CAFTA.  Fact is most mulitlateral trade agreements are submitted as such.  Unconsitutional?  Youbetcha.  So what.  Any action against firearms will show up as an agreement and therefore be submitted as an agreement.
So what real force of law would that have in the US?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2010, 10:39:14 AM »

Agreements are better for us than "treaties" (legal term, not the general term).

Missouri v. Holland declared that treaties ratified by 2/3 majority can be used the federal government as a backdoor to force states to accept restrictions not granted to the feds per the Constitution.   A congressional-executive agreement (simple majority) has to stay within the framework of the Constitution.

CEA's are perfectly legal, and bound to stay within the Constitution.  There's roughly 20k agreements in place.  <1k treaties.

Also, we are entirely free to modify the treaty or agreement after the fact, even if the text itself declares that it cannot be altered.  Any treaty or agreement found inconsistent with the Constitution is void within US law, per Reid v. Covert.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2010, 02:26:50 PM »
So the sky isn't really falling.......

[Continues to run in circles screaming]

;) =D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.