Author Topic: Hawaii 5-0 disrespect for Pearl Harbor ceremonies  (Read 3031 times)

Stetson

• friends
Hawaii 5-0 disrespect for Pearl Harbor ceremonies
« on: December 12, 2011, 11:46:22 PM »
http://www.850koa.com/pages/michaelbrown.html
Click on the story about Pearl Harbor.  It should be at the top.

Selected paragraph:

I admit I was not happy two days earlier on the morning of December 7 at the Pearl Harbor Memorial service. Thousands of people in attendance, yet President Barack Obama – born just a few miles from the USS Arizona memorial – was not only a no-show, but did not bother to send a written or videotaped greeting of thanks to these men. And then there was no-show Interior Secretary Ken Salazar, his bio and picture listed in the program and scheduled to deliver remarks in person. The president I can slightly understand, but the former Colorado senator? What was going on that was so important he couldn’t make it on a private government jet to attend the last and final major Pearl Harbor survivors gathering? I am not aware of the circumstances, and perhaps there was a truly legitimate reason for Salazar’s absence, but I have yet to hear it. Instead, the National Park representative on site read a bizarre partial statement from the Secretary and then stopped mid-sentence, paused awkwardly, and said, “Thank you.”

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Re: Hawaii 5-0 disrespect for Pearl Harbor ceremonies
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 12:06:47 AM »
I've linked the article on my Facebook page.  Maybe the story will spread some.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 12:12:04 AM »
Jamis, not arguing but there is more to this than politics.  That was just the second paragraph describing the whole thing.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 12:46:05 AM »
No one named Steve McGarrett was hurt in all this? [tinfoil] [popcorn] ??? :angel:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 07:37:45 AM »
Some of this seems like whining.  Like the whole "stepping on gravestones" regarding the picture of the production area - it's dadrned difficult to place that much gear and those many people in a cemetery without some gravestones being stepped on or having gear placed on top of it.  Graves, be they of WWII vets or nameless paupers, should be treated with respect but are not such holy icons that being stepped upon will stop the earth from spinning.  (I wonder how the author feels about the lawnmowers that clack and buzz over the graves as the grass is cut - or is routine maintenance somehow different than a film crew working?)

Some of this seems like stupidity in motion - a TV show scene about a character come to the WWII cemetery to visit the grave of his father, that has the unscripted opportunity to include distant footage of real WWII veterans honoring their fallen comerades.  A director worth their salt ought to be able to recognize the tearjerk factor of that background material and how to exploit it.  Heck, I would probably try to get footage of a real WWII vet placing flowers on a grave and cut it into the big scene just to build up the drama of the non-existent father's character.  And given the chance to do any shot of Taps playing in the background, that I could cut the sound into my star's big scene?  I'd be beating the writers' heads and shoulders while asking why they did not think of that in the first place.

But it seems the network exec is the chief dummy.  An apology for hurt feelings and the matter would have been closed.  Getting into competing accusations is always a losing proposition, and he and the network will lose big-time over this.

Having gotten all that out of my system I'd lilke to address my main topic - asking why anybody in the Dept. of Veterans Affairs thought it would be a "good idea" to rent the place out for any commercial use?  Their website states:
FLORAL/GROUNDS POLICY

Cemetery policies are conspicuously posted and readily visible to the public.

Floral arrangements accompanying the casket or urn at the time of burial will be placed on the completed grave. They will be removed when they become unsightly or when it becomes necessary to facilitate cemetery operations such as mowing.

Fresh cut flowers may be placed on graves at any time of the year.

Artificial flowers and potted plants will be permitted on graves during periods when their presence will not interfere with grounds maintenance. Potted plants and artificial flowers will be permitted on gravesites only during the period five days before to five days after Easter Sunday, Christmas Day, and "Hana Matsuri" (April 8). They will also be permitted from July 12 to August 15 in observance of "O-BON". Christmas trees, no matter what size, are not considered potted plants and will not be allowed. Floral items and other types of decorations will not be secured to markers or Columbarium walls.

Permanent plantings, statues, vigil lights, glass objects of any kind and any other type of commemorative items, including photographs, toys (pin wheels, balloons, wind chimes, stuffed toys, or any similar articles) are not permitted.

The Department of Veterans Affairs does not permit adornments that are considered offensive, inconsistent with the dignity of the cemetery or considered hazardous to cemetery personnel. For example, items incorporating beads or wires may become entangled in mowers or other equipment and cause injury.

And yet a film crew is not considered offensive or inconsistent with the dignity of the cemetery?

Now, can we focus on this notion for a moment?

stay safe.

If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 08:51:11 AM »
Jamis, not arguing but there is more to this than politics.  That was just the second paragraph describing the whole thing.

Ah I didn't read the article, just the posted paragraph. If it's not actually political I can move it back.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 09:02:30 AM »
IMHO it can stay.  Politics are at play as to why they were there.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 01:20:43 PM »
My wife watches this idiotic show.
The writing sucks.
The acting sucks.
The plots suck.
The show just sucks.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 01:47:10 PM »
The sooner legacy America is history the happier the current crop in power will be. 
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 02:06:03 PM »
I haven't read the article but apparently CBS has apologized.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!