Author Topic: Just .. Wow  (Read 3401 times)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Just .. Wow
« on: November 11, 2016, 11:37:16 AM »
So my cousin posted this on the Book of Faces.  He refuses to come right out and say what his solution is to the supposed problem of racism, etc, but it seems clear to me from this post.

We must work to understand how this election result happened. It's not easy. Here is a possible idea about what happened.
For decades now we have suppressed and tried to silence racism, other hatred, and bigotry. We could not make them change their repugnant views. So we marginalized them and tried hard to keep their repugnant, hateful, bigoted and racist voices out of mainstream dialogue. Socially we did this on moral high ground of belief in universal acceptance and tolerance (of all but the intolerant). From the other point of view however most of them religiously back up their views with the Christian Great Chain of Being idea. From their religion, they feel a divine right to supremacy.
We bought ourselves a more civil society for a few decades, but now the pressure valve has broken open and we will pay the price. Politically we misjudged the size of the population with these views. Now, an extremely savvy (yet evil in my judgement) man capitalized on that history of oppression (an oppression we thought was morally justified). Trump rallied the very people we oppressed and tried to silence for these past decades because we believe their views to be too repugnant for civil society. When they finally found a champion, they came out in droves to vote.
For me the greatest lesson of this election is that we cannot simply silence and marginalize people with views we find repugnant. We must deal with them in some other way. I'm not sure yet how. How do we allow hatred and bigotry a seat at the table? Maybe I've argued myself to an impossible dead end. Can / should we tolerate hateful intolerance on some level to avoid it taking control of the country again one day? Do we have a choice? Maybe its the simple yin and yang of life. One cannot exist without the other. No good, unless evil exist too. I thank my God that I was not born with a hateful heart.
We must hope that through exposure our society will choose a different path in 4 years. .
Formerly sumpnz

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Just .. Wow
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 11:47:06 AM »
I thank my God that I was not born with a hateful heart.

Oh, but you were.   You are human.  So am  I

How do we allow hatred and bigotry a seat at the table?

It was there all along; you just would not see it. 

From the other point of view however most of them religiously back up their views with the Christian Great Chain of Being idea. From their religion, they feel a divine right to supremacy.

There is nothing in my Bible about feeling a divine right to supremacy.  "The meek shall inherit the earth," reads one well noted scripture.  The Christian Bible teaches humility.  It teaches us to love our brother.  Jesus taught us to love God above all but also to love others as well. 
I never heard of the phrase "Christian Great Chain of Being idea"  before.

Sumpmz,  I question your cousin's Christianity.   He espouses nothing resembling the Christianity I have seen in my life.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 11:56:09 AM »
I never heard of the phrase "Christian Great Chain of Being idea"  before.

I believe he is referring to a medieval notion, and super-imposing it on people who voted for Trump. Ya know, 'cuz "uneducated white males" in this country are all about Scholastic philosophy.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 01:30:14 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 01:25:23 PM »
Arrogance is a very old and very common trait. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 02:11:58 PM »
Send him a suggestion.  Tell him to stick his head in a plastic bag and take several deep breaths.  He will find enlightenment. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 02:19:07 PM »
I'd encourage it.
Tell him to double down and spread his message to all the corners of the internetz.
Nothing wins elections like telling your political opponents that they are repugnant, hateful, racist bigots for not believing the same things you do.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 05:55:58 PM »

We must deal with them in some other way. I'm not sure yet how.

Game on, *expletive deleted*er.

I love how those of the left that aren't whining are now embracing violence since they didn't get their way.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 06:07:36 PM »
Game on, *expletive deleted*er.

I love how those of the left that aren't whining are now embracing violence since they didn't get their way.

Huh? He said nothing of violence.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 06:14:51 PM »

Maybe I'm reading too much into this weeks lefty angst, as I'm seeing plenty of them saying the system is broken and "we should do something about those deplorables" in thinly veiled threats.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 06:26:35 PM »

To my mind, the "Other ways" read as violence, prisons, camps whatever.
And one of them in another instance said "people have to die"

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 06:32:14 PM »
To my mind, the "Other ways" read as violence, prisons, camps whatever.
And one of them in another instance said "people have to die"

Spray painted on memorials in NO was "Die Whites Die" and lots of protesters are screaming about hurting and killing various forms of "Deplorables".
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2016, 06:35:09 PM »
I've been packing light of late (J-frame).
May be time to strap on the 1911 again. =D
Not that this area is a hot bed of libtard revolutionists.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2016, 06:53:17 PM »
Since the quote button appears broken, and I'm too lazy to do it all manually, for those not quite seeing the implied threat, this is the slightly longer version of what Andiron quoted:

For me the greatest lesson of this election is that we cannot simply silence and marginalize people with views we find repugnant. We must deal with them in some other way.

There's not much of a way to read that other than an barely veiled advocating of forced expulsion or extermination of those that aren't on the liberal bandwagon.
Formerly sumpnz

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2016, 06:57:12 PM »
Since the quote button appears broken, and I'm too lazy to do it all manually, for those not quite seeing the implied threat, this is the slightly longer version of what Andiron quoted:

There's not much of a way to read that other than an barely veiled advocating of forced expulsion or extermination of those that aren't on the liberal bandwagon.

If you read the whole thing, he's obviously not talking about any of that. You guys are extrapolating as wildly as the homosexuals that expect Trump to gas them.  

Here:

Can / should we tolerate hateful intolerance on some level to avoid it taking control of the country again one day? Do we have a choice? Maybe its the simple yin and yang of life. One cannot exist without the other. No good, unless evil exist too. I thank my God that I was not born with a hateful heart.
We must hope that through exposure our society will choose a different path in 4 years. .

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2016, 07:35:52 PM »

That's what I read too; he's looking for a final solution to the ignorant white people question, but knows he doesn't have the balls to try it.
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2016, 07:44:01 PM »
Ask him how it is that Ferguson, [Some] Black Lives Matter, and all those other race riots occurred during Obama's presidency if he's so sure Trump is the catalyst to a new race war.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2016, 07:46:00 PM »

My area is. I started carrying the 1911 again today.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2016, 07:49:50 PM »
I thank my God that I was not born with a hateful heart.

No scrap of self reflection with this one.

I've been packing light of late (J-frame).
May be time to strap on the 1911 again. grin

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2016, 08:02:11 PM »
So my cousin posted this on the Book of Faces.

I feel threatened.  Worth reporting him to Fascesbook?

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2016, 09:40:59 PM »
My area/city has been "peaceful" but I carry (its at hand or on me) a G19 with a spare mag 24/7 unless I'm going to the VA hospital anyway and always have before all this.
 :old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2016, 10:24:54 PM »
Yep.  We're out in the middle of the forgotten middle lands, that elected Trump.  I haven't heard of anyone behaving like a spoiled child in this town.

My daughter reported some woman of her aquaintance who said she had scoped out mountain back roads into Canadia.  "Because there's no place for liberals in America now."   (Trying to find the exact quote on the bookface, will correct if necessary..)   I suspect the ditz is not old enough to remember Reagan's sweep in '80.

Ahh, here it is, the woman my daughter encountered:

I overheard a lady at rehearsal last night professing to have scouted out lonesome mountain roads to sneak into Canada, because there's "nowhere in America for a liberal like me." Whaaaat?!

Prob. in Rockford (very liberal city).

My area/city has been "peaceful" but I carry (its at hand or on me) a G19 with a spare mag 24/7 unless I'm going to the VA hospital anyway and always have before all this.

Not anticipating a need for a change, on this account.  XDS9 with the medium magazine.  It's soooo handy.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2016, 10:35:11 PM »
My daughter reported some woman of her aquaintance who said she had scoped out mountain back roads into Canadia.  "Because there's no place for liberals in America now."   (Trying to find the exact quote on the bookface, will correct if necessary..)   I suspect the ditz is not old enough to remember Reagan's sweep in '80.

The demise of each party seems to be predicted every so often.

Speaking of Reagan, I was looking at previous elections, and I hadn't realized Nixon won all but one state - just before the Watergate scandal brought him down. His 500-something electoral vote total was a record, until 1984. A few years ago, we heard there would never be another GOP president. The worm turns and turns.

I guess it's harder for young people to understand that elections are not eschatons.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 12:32:15 AM by fistful »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2016, 11:23:50 PM »
I guess it's harder for young people to understand that elections are not eschatons.

There ya go with the big words again ...

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2016, 12:24:27 AM »
Yep.  We're out in the middle of the forgotten middle lands, that elected Trump.  I haven't heard of anyone behaving like a spoiled child in this town.

Ahh, here it is, the woman my daughter encountered:

Prob. in Rockford (very liberal city).

Not anticipating a need for a change, on this account.  XDS9 with the medium magazine.  It's soooo handy.
They seem to forget that the liberals we have a problem with are the ones that want to use the govt to tell us what to do and take our stuff.  And we also generally have issues with the conservatives who want to do the same. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2016, 12:26:47 AM »

The demise of each party seems to be predicted every so often.

Speaking of Reagan, I was looking at previous elections, and I hadn't realized Nixon won all but one state - just before the Watergate scandal brought him down. His 500-something electoral vote total was a record, until 1984. A few years ago, we heard there would never be a GOP president. The worm turns and turns.

Agreed on the parties.  They said that silly stuff after W. Bush got elected then the same people who said it talked about big tents and proceeded to do everything they could to piss off their base.