Author Topic: Please tell me this is a joke: Court overturns father's grounding of 12-year-old  (Read 9188 times)

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5h9kqGvkVPSvo-KNWFDWAg-mVfleg
I am speechless.  This HAS to be a joke, right?  RIGHT?

Quote from: AFP
OTTAWA (AFP)  A Canadian court has lifted a 12-year-old girl's grounding, overturning her father's punishment for disobeying his orders to stay off the Internet, his lawyer said Wednesday.

The girl had taken her father to Quebec Superior Court after he refused to allow her to go on a school trip for chatting on websites he tried to block, and then posting "inappropriate" pictures of herself online using a friend's computer.

The father's lawyer Kim Beaudoin said the disciplinary measures were for the girl's "own protection" and is appealing the ruling.

"She's a child," Beaudoin told AFP. "At her age, children test their limits and it's up to their parents to set boundaries."

"I started an appeal of the decision today to reestablish parental authority, and to ensure that this case doesn't set a precedent," she said. Otherwise, said Beaudoin, "parents are going to be walking on egg shells from now on."

"I think most children respect their parents and would never go so far as to take them to court, but it's clear that some would and we have to ask ourselves how far this will go."

According to court documents, the girl's Internet transgression was just the latest in a string of broken house rules. Even so, Justice Suzanne Tessier found her punishment too severe.

Beaudoin noted the girl used a court-appointed lawyer in her parents' 10-year custody dispute to launch her landmark case against dear old dad.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

mtnbkr

• friend
Holy crap!  That punishment is completely reasonable and the court overturned it (not even getting into why the court bothered with it)?  I'd have to ground the little snot for taking it to court in the first place.

There has to be more to the story...I hope.

Chris

Manedwolf

• friend
It's Canada.

Does anything else need to be said?

MicroBalrog

• friend
I suspect very much there's more to this story.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Manedwolf

• friend

No, I don't think so. They literally have thoughtcrime tribunals now.

MicroBalrog

• friend

No, I don't think so. They literally have thoughtcrime tribunals now.

They have hate speech courts. Which are bad. But such also exist in Europe, and unlike in Europe, in Canada guys like Steyn actually get acquitted. And which bears no relation to this thread. We need more detail.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Sergeant Bob

• friend
It's Canada.

Does anything else need to be said?

Coming Soon! To a country near you!

Even if there is, I have to know, WTF is the court doing in their house in the first place? (besides the obvious).
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

MicroBalrog

• friend
Even if there is, I have to know, WTF is the court doing in their house in the first place? (besides the obvious).

Perhaps the terms of the 'grounding' are somehow especially abusive. Or there are questions about the father's custody. Or whatever.

One has to give kudos to the girl, though.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Or there are questions about the father's custody. Or whatever.

That was my thought;  the family is already in court for custody hearings or whatever and this came up.

wmenorr67

• friend
And a court appointed lawyer handled this case. 

Waiting for the next decision that the dad needs to pay the court costs and lawyer fees for the child.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
That kid would be in the foster care system or up for adoption so quick she wouldn't know what hit her.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MicroBalrog

• friend
What I think happened is this: Complex custody case came up. Unrelated to this, the Dad may or may not be treating the girl too strictly, and the girl, being creative and unusually bright for her age, decided to utilize the situation in her interest (and the interest of every teenager, as he or she perceives it is to try and get more independence and privacy from his/her parents). And so it went.

MicroBalrog

• friend
That kid would be in the foster care system or up for adoption so quick she wouldn't know what hit her.

Did you mean "should"? And if yes, why?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Nope, were I him I'd cut her loose. Put her up for adoption.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MicroBalrog

• friend

Ah. I understand now. Thank you for the clarification, Mr. Irwin.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa

Just take her to the dog pound Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

mtnbkr

• friend
What I think happened is this: Complex custody case came up. Unrelated to this, the Dad may or may not be treating the girl too strictly, and the girl, being creative and unusually bright for her age, decided to utilize the situation in her interest (and the interest of every teenager, as he or she perceives it is to try and get more independence and privacy from his/her parents). And so it went.

Huh?  She's 12.  At 12, she must live by the rules of the house.  She broke those rules and the punishment was not being allowed certain activities.  She was not being denied basic needs such as food, clothing, or shelter.  Not going on a school trip is pretty mild punishment for disobeying a direct order, especially considering she was "posting "inappropriate" pictures of herself online".

This isn't a civil rights issue.  This isn't even a child abuse issue.  Unless the article above is leaving out true abuses such as witholding necessities (Internet access isn't one of them), then it is simply a court system involving itself where it isn't welcome.  Frankly, if there is more to the story (real abuse for example) I would expect the article to take a tone different than "overturning a grounding".

Chris

Iain

• friend
I suspect the last line of the quote news article goes some way to explain the lunacy as micro suggests -

Beaudoin noted the girl used a court-appointed lawyer in her parents' 10-year custody dispute to launch her landmark case against dear old dad.

Not all the way though. Not nearly all the way. At least may in part explain the childs behaviour though.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

MicroBalrog

• friend
Look. There's no civil rights issue here. Or any issue at all. What happens is that  starting at about 12-14  the younguns are starting to want to become more and more independent. Their parents, of course, don't want to let them. Both of those things are forces of nature.

So they struggle. Usually, the youngun wins out at a later age  like 18-20, but sometimes they win out earlier. Sometimes the parents are negligent and they let a young kid run around way before he should. Sometimes they're abusive and they don't allow a young person his or her basic independence long after they should get it. But this sort of struggle, to some degree, exists in every family. It is natural.

Parents are protective of their offspring, and their offspring, once they start to exit childhood, start chafing at the restraints. The resulting struggle is not news-worthy, really. Unless someone gets creative.

mtnbkr

• friend
That doesn't change the fact that this isn't the court's business and the punishment was perfectly reasonable, if not light, for the infraction. 

A 12yo posting "innapropriate" pictures of themself online is putting themselves at risk in ways they might not fully comprehend. 

Not all the way though. Not nearly all the way. At least may in part explain the childs behaviour though.

All it explains is the child learned she can use the court as a weapon against daddy.

Chris

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
If a court told me I didn't have the authority to ban my child from using the internet, I would politely agree with the judge and immediately stop paying for internet access.  And cable.
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats

Uh, no.  Instead of kudos from me, she'd get the back of my hand.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Iain

• friend
All it explains is the child learned she can use the court as a weapon against daddy.

Just like mummy and daddy do. That, and miscreant child as product of long and messy custody proceedings, is the bit that it explains, not how any judge decided that this was her domain.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical

Uh, no.  Instead of kudos from me, she'd get the back of my hand.

And bring down upon you the wrath of the Canadian Civil Rights Commission...

RoadKingLarry

• friends
That child would be either in the custody of her mother or the government before the sun set that day.. While he financial obligation would be met I would have no further contact untill such time as a full public apology and restitution was made.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams