Author Topic: Septic Treatment?  (Read 9209 times)

Jim147

• friends
Re: Septic Treatment?
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2008, 06:05:36 AM »
While I don't know anything about your ground, local codes or how much work was done, I do think for $25,000 a grey water drain would have been discussed.
I don't use anything in my septic. I pumped it out once but that wasn't the problem.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2008, 08:31:24 AM »
Mike, the strain we used was Champagne, a good all-around wine yeast.  I may be wrong on the temperature, it was over 25 years ago, but the consensus was we killed the yeast because the must was too warm.  We were able to save it by adding another packet of yeast a couple days later.

I'm sure beer yeast is more robust, and bread yeast is probably more robust still.

But my point was, yeast has limited utility in a septic system because of what it consumes (sugar and starch), and the limited temperature range it lives in.  Bacteria, which does the real work in the system, can function from just above freezing up to around 160 degrees F.

In the higher elevations here, septic tanks that are not working properly can freeze solid in the winter.  Bacteria produces heat, and will keep the septic tank from freezing in sub-zero weather.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2008, 09:01:58 AM »
Can I just say I love you guys?
I've probably learned more about a septic system than I ever cared to, just idly reading this thread waiting for some processing to finish.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM