Author Topic: Tungsten carbide rings  (Read 9218 times)

erictank

• friends
Re: Tungsten carbide rings
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2008, 01:16:02 PM »
I'm trying to do the mental math, and figure out how many amps it takes to melt gold, especially as good a conductor as it is.

That may be a potential Mythbusters episode.

Maybe they can tie it into Kari Byron's electric pickle experiment?   =D

Also from my carrier days, I'm told (but did not see for myself) that dropping an adequately-sized tool into a 4160V junction box can copper-plate the inside of the box when the tool shorts out the bus.  The fireball was alleged to be... impressive.

Just as glad I never saw that in person, actually...

Although I *HAVE* seen video of arc-flash from shorted 480V and 4160 breakers, from my days at the power plant.  Better be wearing your all-cotton clothes there, kiddies.  Opening the disconnects on a 500KV distribution line after isolation via circuit breaker (seen this one in person) is impressive as hell - that draws a twelve-foot arc between the contacts.  Yowzah!

Can't imagine having my ring melt it's way through my finger  :O.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2008, 01:27:49 PM »
I've seen a degloving accident from a ring.

Made me a little faint and woozy.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2008, 12:58:20 AM »
Okay, I just wanted to say thanks for the whole degloving talk.  Never heard of it before.  Never thought about it.  Fast forward one APS thread later...

Wife: "Why aren't you wearing your ring?"

Me: "Degloving."

Wife: "Huh?"

I think I'll start drawing a ring on with a pen everyday.

:laugh:
Get it tattooed instead :laugh:.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila