Author Topic: Rotate Your Carry Ammo: Squib Load in Snubby  (Read 9244 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Rotate Your Carry Ammo: Squib Load in Snubby
« on: September 01, 2009, 03:56:01 PM »
Rotate Your Carry Ammo: Squib Load in Snubby

Howdy:

Given these rough economic times, folks might be tempted to not buy or rotate their social/carry ammo.  Well, that bit me in the tuckus a while back.

Hardware
Taurus 651SH2 Total Titanium .357mag, a snub-nosed small-frame revolver. 
Winchester Supreme .357mag 180gr Nosler Partition Gold JHP

Circumstances
At the range, I finally decided to burn up the carry ammo I had been husbanding in the snubby and a couple of speed strips.  I decided to shoot the speed strips first and then went with what was in the revolver.  The last round in the cylinder was a squib that lodged the 180gr pill in the middle of the barrel.

When I broke open the cylinder, there was a good amount of unburnt powder that fell about.

Taurus 651SH2 Total Titanium .357mag

Larger: http://lh6.ggpht.com/_ifsRjdJE1Jg/SntCVwOne-I/AAAAAAAAALI/HC_jhedopOE/s800/taurus_651SH2.jpg

Analysis
I suspect that, over time, oil had penetrated via either primer pocket or brass mouth.  This had fouled the powder and caused it not to burn when the primer was struck.  Alternately, the primer was handicapped, but not completely killed by gun oil as it rode in the cylinder.

Fix, Immediate
Nothing to be done at the range, so I examined it at home.

I broke out my big, honking bench vise, as well as the brass & nylon vise jaw dealies.  The bbl shroud was secured between them, with moderate support from underneath.

At first I tried to hammer it back out of the bbl with a wooden dowel.  Nothing was accomplished save smashing down the front portion of the jacket & lead HP.

Next came a brass rod & hammer.  It went nowhere and actually was flattened out a bit on the end. 

After the brass rod, I was at a loss.  The tough jacket material and the long bearing surface of a 180gr JHP had laughed at my best efforts.

I finally broke down and broke out my 3/8" chuck drill.  I slapped a 1/4" bit in the chuck and went after it.  I had avoided using any steel on the stuck JHP, but I was at a loss.  I drilled through the lead until I discovered just how tough the partition is on a Nosler Partition.  My drill & bit could not penetrate the thick web of jacket material placed cross-wise in the JHP.  Check out the cross-section from Winchester:

OK, yet another failure.  I was getting desperate.

I then cut off a bit of 1/4" mild steel rod and planted one end of it in the pocket I had drilled out.  I went to town with my hammer and checked with my calipers against the steel rod to see if I was making progress.  YES! It looked like I was driving the JHP back down to the forcing cone!  Finally, I gave a last whack and the steel rod was free.

Success?  Not yet.  I had driven a 1/4" diameter slug from the center of the stuck JHP and could now see through it.  For the love of all that is holy...

I went back to the brass rod.  Its end was a bit bunged up from earlier pounding, but just barely covered the 1/4" hole in the slug.  I pounded away with THAT and finally found success.  I guess the removal of material from the middle of the JHP allowed the material to flex back toward the center a bit and disengage from the walls of the bbl.

Examining the inside of the bbl, I detected no damage from my efforts. 

Slug & Unfired Cartridge, Side by Side

See-Through Slug

Slug On-End with Fingers

Fix, Longer Term
I intend to change a few things to avoid this in the future.

1. Rotate carry ammo more often. One year is too long, even for a revolver. (I shot it more often than that with range ammo.)

2. Carry weapons get the area around the chambered round blown free of all visible lubricating oil with my air compressor.  If I need lube near the chambered round, I will use synthetic grease.

3. Develop hand loads that duplicate the Winchester Supreme .357mag 180gr Nosler Partition Gold JHP.  This will allow me to practice with the exact load I will use in my CCW but will not break the bank.   Yes, Mas Ayoob suggests against using reloads in your CCW.  Considering my location, I think it worth the risk.

-----------

If any of y'all have any suggestions, do please let fly.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Rotate Your Carry Ammo: Squib Load in Snubby
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 04:10:24 PM »
Suggestion:

Smaller drill bit.  1/8" or so.  Then wooden dowel.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 04:18:24 PM »
I'd just concentrate on keeping petroleum based oils away from the carry ammo. 

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 04:27:30 PM »
Had a squib once.  Things were pretty clean, so I figure it was an accidental no powder situation.  The lead bullet was stuck, mostly through the forcing cone.  Still took quite a bit of wailing at it to get it out.

I'd just concentrate on keeping petroleum based oils away from the carry ammo.

+1.  I don't oil my revolver that much.  It's stainless, so the finish doesn't need protecting like a blued one would.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 04:35:32 PM »
Out of curiosity, would a blank round be able to dislodge the bullet? I know that's how Brandon Lee met his fate...
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 04:36:50 PM »
I would've set the revolver in a vise, muzzle down, and filled the barrel in back of the bullet with penetrating oil. Wait overnight, and THEN try pounding the bullet out.

(I'm glad you didn't write that you tried shooting it out.  :laugh: )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 05:05:33 PM »
Suggestion:

Don't pack your carry piece submerged in oil.

(Trying to figure out how one got so much oil on their chambered carry ammo - if there's that much, that means the cylinder chambers are also slicker than snot, maybe locking up the cylinder on firing the first round, etc...)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

zahc

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 05:09:47 PM »
I live in texas. Temptation to generously oil is great when my carry guns rust easily from body sweat.

You said that a year was too long to go between ammo changes, but I didn't catch how long this particular round was in the gun.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 05:39:32 PM »
Just for that, I disassembled my Sig slide for the first time ever.

Upon encountering a swamp of oil and fouling I thought I'd blasted out, I also swapped out the ammo, too.  :O

Every individual crevice is clean, now.  Military/ aviation-grade corrosion inhibitor on all non-sliding parts, anhydrous graphite on all bearing surfaces.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 05:44:44 PM »

Upon encountering a swamp of oil and fouling I thought I'd blasted out, I also swapped out the ammo, too.  :O

Every individual crevice is clean, now.  Military/ aviation-grade corrosion inhibitor on all non-sliding parts, anhydrous graphite on all bearing surfaces.

For what it's worth, ultrasonic cleaners work magic on hard to reach part of pistols.  =)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 05:49:21 PM »
What load for squib?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 06:27:12 PM »

First thing I did when I got my Dark Side Special home was disassemble the slide, per a video on YooToob. 

Trivial.  Abso-freakin-trivial.  I think I'm going to like this thing.

And a good thing I did, 'cause some helpful person had oiled everything, inc. stuff that's supposed to stay unoiled.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 06:31:27 PM »
I live in texas. Temptation to generously oil is great when my carry guns rust easily from body sweat.

Johnson's Floor Wax.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 07:24:04 PM »
For what it's worth, ultrasonic cleaners work magic on hard to reach part of pistols.  =)
No money for that sort o'thing, but ohmygosh do I want one...  =)
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 09:02:55 PM »
This^^^.

You said that a year was too long to go between ammo changes, but I didn't catch how long this particular round was in the gun.
Yeah, it was about a year for that batch.  5 rounds in snubby, 5 in one speed strip and 5 in another.  Rounds come in a 20 round box.

That is the longest I ever went before shooting up carry ammo in any weapon.  I figured a revo would be less sensitive.  Semi-autos, even when "social" ammo costs a bloody fortune, get rotated every couple months due to loading/unloading, etc.

It has caused me to regress to hardball in a couple carry weapons, most notable my AMT .45ACP DAO Backup.  I figure a JHP wouldn't likely open up out of a 3" bbl, anyways.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 09:51:19 PM »
It has caused me to regress to hardball in a couple carry weapons, most notable my AMT .45ACP DAO Backup.  I figure a JHP wouldn't likely open up out of a 3" bbl, anyways.

Why not?

No different than the Black Talons or Golden Sabres I carry in my 3.5" Caspian Officer's ACP.  They'll open up just fine.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2009, 10:45:42 PM »
Why not?

No different than the Black Talons or Golden Sabres I carry in my 3.5" Caspian Officer's ACP.  They'll open up just fine.

I recall several ammo reviews, one specifically including the AMT .45ACP DAO*, where the JHPs would not open in the ballistic gelatin.  Even the hot Cor-bon +P stuff (230gr & 200gr) wouldn't, though their 185gr would...but doesn't reliably feed in my AMT even after a ramp polish.  And +P in the little AMT is kinda dramatic.

I could probably get Rem Golden Sabres to feed, cause those will feed in even the finickiest semi-autos IME, but I don't recall any 3" bbl tests for those.

I dunno, I just don't have much confidence in JHPs expanding reliably in short bbls.  Given that some short bbl semis can be troublesome feeders, hardball seems more & more a viable option in them. 

If you have data that says non-plus-P 230gr .45ACP JHP Golden Sabres expand reliably out of 3"-ish bbls, I would certainly take a look.

* My AMT has been blooded twice...on the user.  My dad first, then a buddy's wife.  Folks, take me seriosuly when I say that slide will slice you open if you don;t keep your off-hand thumb out of the way.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2009, 11:26:05 PM »
anhydrous graphite on all bearing surfaces.

I thought I was about the only one that still used that.
I sure don't have to worry about it migrating to other parts of my weapons.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2009, 11:59:34 PM »
I thought I was about the only one that still used that.
I sure don't have to worry about it migrating to other parts of my weapons.

jim
I "pilfered" a quart of the stuff from the school I used to attend.  Since it was past its last "inspection" date anyway, they were just going to toss it.  And I figured that since personal firearms aren't quite so regulated as aircraft, I figured "hey, why not?"  Works surprisingly well.
"And are you?"
-Douglas Adams

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2009, 10:26:41 AM »
A lot of good info in this thread. A few questions.

Is there a practical way to seal primers like the .mil does?

Where does one find anhydrous graphite, and is it expensive? Ditto for ultrasonic cleaners, come to that. :)

Jfruser: have you looked at the "hollowpoint with something in the tip" loads like the Powerball? Those seem like a good solution for picky feeding short barrel guns. Also, how do you like your AMT? Those always intrigued me. For that matter, what are your thoughts on the Taurus? I really need to get a snubby, the weight of my XD is killing my back over extended carry periods.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2009, 11:54:38 AM »
You can indeed seal primers and case mouths yourself for extra protection against the elements.

When reloading for hunting in crappy weather (I never use handloads for self-defense, being a graduate of LFI-I and LFI-II), I use a small bottle of something called George & Roy's Primer Sealant.

It looks like a clear/blue fingernail polish, with the same consistency and bottle shape.

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0003180210621a.shtml

The military uses something asphalt-based to seal their case mouths. The stuff is hard-core, and an absolute gold-plated beeyotch to remove when pulling bullets for surplus sales.

I'm still puzzled, however, by how much oil JFRuser has slathered all over his carry revolver.  If there's so much present that it's actually contaminated his carry ammo, then I'm afraid his bolt face pressures are way high due to oil between the chambered rounds and the cylinder chamber walls. Revolvers don't like ammo that flows brass and/or primers into the firing pin bushing - it'll lock up the cylinder's rotation after just the first round. Not good.

I have two industrial ultrasonic cleaners, and they're the bees knees for cleaing BPCR cartridge brass, as well as gun parts, carburetors, removing the wrong bullet lube from your homemade cast bullets, you name it.  The trick is to be careful with them, because they will remove parkerizing, blueing, and will also dull a polished stainless gun part.  (I found out the hard way...)

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2009, 12:06:47 PM »
That looks like a stainless revolver.  Why the oil?  Use a rust preventative/lube such as Breakfree or LPS2.  These dry and do a good job preventing rust.  The only squibb loads I have ever had were some 1938 dated Turk 8mm ammo.  I have never had a squibb load from commercial ammo with the exception of Remington 22s....chris3

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2009, 12:10:20 PM »
 :angel:

I have some .357 hydrashoks that have been in my SP-101 for probably 4 years now.

I've never slathered oil over my gun like it were a supermodel I was charged with glistening up for a photo shoot, though.

Last time I shot ammo from that batch was about 2 years ago.  I guess I should probably buy an new box. =D

I will, however, rotate out the 5 rounds currently in it with a fresh five from the box.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2009, 12:13:22 PM »
I've gotta ask. Has there ever been a documented case of hand loads being used against the shooter in a self-defense situation? It seems like a no-win, honestly. Evil handloads vs evil cop killer hollow points vs evil hardball.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2009, 01:18:58 PM »
A lot of good info in this thread. A few questions.

Is there a practical way to seal primers like the .mil does?

Where does one find anhydrous graphite, and is it expensive? Ditto for ultrasonic cleaners, come to that. :)

Jfruser: have you looked at the "hollowpoint with something in the tip" loads like the Powerball? Those seem like a good solution for picky feeding short barrel guns. Also, how do you like your AMT? Those always intrigued me. For that matter, what are your thoughts on the Taurus? I really need to get a snubby, the weight of my XD is killing my back over extended carry periods.

Powerball & Others
I haven't tried that particular round...<research ensues>...hokay, now I recall why I didn't consider it: it is +P.

Recoil is already sporty in the AMT and +P is getting a little too sporty with a 25oz pocket pistol.

Federal has the EFMJ which also looks like +P at 165gr/1140fps

AMT .45ACP DAO Backup

I like it, but it is not everyone's cup of tea.

First off, some non-trivial number of folks have reported malfunctions or manufacturing defects.  I am not sure if it truly significant, but some folks view AMT products as junk.  Mine, OTOH, has had no breaks or any other drama.

It is a 25oz all-stainless pocket pistol.  You don't have a full grip, so you are getting .45ACP recoil to manage with a smaller area against your palm and without your pinkie to help.  IOW, recoil is serious.  Not as bad as a small titanium revolver in .357mag, but still stout.  Skateboard grip tape helps a lot.

The trigger is hella heavy.  Real effing heavy.  Did I mention it is heavy?  And long.  Once you think you're done, just keep on going...   But, it works smooth with dry fire.  If I am shooting paper, I can get very good groups by moving through 3/4 of its travel and then re-acquiring and then squeezing through.

Since it has no real sights, I have practiced point shooting with it. Here, it excels.  It is the best natural COM point shooter I own and I have no problem using it for CCW for that reason.  I stay on a human silhouette torso out to 10 yards without much work, point-shooting. Kinda nice to be able to do this very quickly and without needing night sights in low-light situations.  Using the slide as an index for sighted fire, the same can be done at 25 yards.  Sucker is inherently very accurate.  If it did have sights, human torso hits could be made at ridiculous "bulls**t!"-inducing ranges for such an abbreviated weapon.

It carries very well, better than its 25oz weight would imply.  I think it helps that it came dehorned from the factory.  It slips in & out of pocket holsters better & faster than any other pocket pistols I own (and I own several).  It rides well in an ankle holster.  (Single-stack semi-autos excel in ankle holsters because they are flat, relative to a small revolver, and are less likely to cause discomfort from pressure caused by the cylinder on one's ankle.)

They are also cheap, used.  Mine was the worst firearms purchase, depreciation-wise, I ever made.  I likely paid close to retail when I bought it new in the early 1990s, something like $400.  A few years later I saw new ones going for $250.  I have seen used examples in that range for the last few years.  A nearby gunshop has one on display for $400.  They are smoking crack.  A lot of crack.

The only permanent mods I have made are polishing the feed ramp and the outside bbl in front of the chamber.  It feeds real slick.  It was OK before, but now it is even better.  I have been known to use grip tape on front & back of grip.

Taurus 651SH2 Total Titanium .357mag
(see OP for image)

For the money I had at the time for a snubby, the contenders were this and a SW642 .38spl.  If I had to do it over again, I'd likely buy the SW642 or 638, as there was a little drama finding a carry load at first for da bull.

I don't know if you can see it, but it has the most ingenious rear snubby sight that is adjustable for windage.  Low-profile, no-snag, and really innovative.  Thing is, it has always been near spot-on for windage.  Elevation, OTOH, was a b***h.

I won't go through it all again, but believe me when I say that I tried a serious sampling of .357mag social ammo in the 125gr and 158gr class as well as the old-school .38spl+P 158gr LSWCHP FBI Load.  I was about to sell the dang thing when I thought, "What the heck?  Maybe these 180gr Winchester hunting loads will get POI near POA?" 

Well; they did and they grouped so well, were less dramatic than any 125 or 158gr .357mag load, and did 1000fps; so I kept the snubby.

Hmm, what other problems/difficulties?  If you think aluminum & steel galls, you ain't seen nothing yet until you've seen titanium & steel gall against one another.  This is the first place I ever used grease on a weapon: the center pin/recoil shield interface, soon to follow with the cylander release latch/side of frame.  Holster selection is limited.  By "limited," I mean that the generic snubby revolver pouches will work, but good luck finding a holster that is fit to exactly this weapon, like a quality custom leather rig or a kydex rig.  Hume does have a decent cross-draw and JIT slide that will actually hold the weapon under tension, though.  Oh, the manual say, IIRC, to avoid any cartridges with bullets of 110 grains or less.  Some gunsmiths don't like the Taurii, as they are not finished internally as well as S&W.  That's about it.

The other side of the ledger has its shiny spots, though.  I already mentioned the adjustable rear sight.  That is some sweet design.  The grips help tame recoil, but don't catch on clothing.  Sucker is quite consistent with loads it likes, especially the aforementioned Winchester 180gr load.  I wish I could justify my old private range membership and see what it would do at 100 yards, with me seated against the side of my truck tire and forearms resting on my knees.  It carries well in the pocket and the hammer shroud precludes catching on the inside of the pocket.  It had a better stock trigger than the SW642 and smoothed up even more after 1000 dry fires (on snap caps).  Its frame is of titanium, so I have worn the sucker against my body while performing manual labor and sports in 100deg/90% humidity all day with no ill-effects.

I also like the ability to carry that Winchester load for use vs 4-legged critters in places where carrying a larger firearm might cause a fuss.  Yes, the HP portion is likely to open up, but the rear part of the Partition ought to track through.

It is the lightest snubby I can tolerate shooting .357mag through.  Here is a list of the weights I can recall off the top of my head, for the various snubby build materials:
    25oz SW640/all-steel small-frame snubby
    17oz Taurus 651/Titanium frame & titanium cylinder snubby (mine)
    15oz SW642/Aluminum alloy frame & steel cylinder snubby (.38spl only)
    12oz SW342/Scandium-aluminum alloy frame & titanium cylinder snubby
    12oz SW now-discontinued .38spl-only titanium cylinder/alum-alloy frame snubbies

All .357mag snubbies are "try before you buy" propositions.  These and the scandium .44mags were funny to see appear as the proverbial "$XXX for gun & 49 rounds of XXXmag ammo."  IOW, find out where you pain-point is on the list above by renting/borrowing and stuffing it with hot ammo.  Heck, my Taurus is too much for me with 125gr barn burners.  Couldn't get me to shoot hot 125gr .357mag out of a SW342 for love or money, after doing it once already.

If you can tolerate the subjective recoil and financial pain/cost of the SW scandium snubbies, they are impressive.  Heck, even if you can only tolerate the FBI Load, but can swing the cash, they are still the lightest ".38spl" out there.  But, there is a reason the SW642/638 is so stinking popular.  For most folks, they are the ideal compromise.

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton