Author Topic: U.S. not prepared for Mumbai-like terror attacks  (Read 9246 times)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: U.S. not prepared for Mumbai-like terror attacks
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2010, 12:55:36 AM »
I thought he chained some of the doors?
I promise not to duck.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2010, 06:00:30 AM »
I thought he chained some of the doors?

Yes, he chained the doors to the classroom building.  But nobody knew that till SWAT had assembled, stacked and tried to rush the doors.  Then they had to go look for something to cut the chains with.

For a very brief moment there was some effort to teach elementary-school aged kids to throw books at and bum-rush the armed intruder.  Apparently some adult then figured out that teaching the kids how to take down an armed assailant might transfer to taking down a not-popular teacher/administrator so the program died.

Huddle up, folks.  Just like the fishies in the center, you can lessen the chance that YOU will be killed even though someone is going to buy the farm.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2010, 06:14:52 AM »
Yes, he chained the doors to the classroom building.  But nobody knew that till SWAT had assembled, stacked and tried to rush the doors.  Then they had to go look for something to cut the chains with.

We all carry Hooligan tools in our cruisers for just such a contingency.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2010, 07:00:22 AM »
You mean like how everyone hung out outside the buildings at VT and had the time to get their pretty little tac vests and helmets out of the closet and put them on? One twerp with a Glock and no one student, faculty, or LE actively engaged him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liviu_Librescu
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2010, 11:18:18 AM »
I was just wondering today, why is the TSA so much crazier with the scans and pat-downs than federal buildings or sporting events?

I had to go to two interviews in a federal building earlier this year (but didn't get the job  ;/ ) and they had the whole security thing.

But the US Marshalls were actually polite and professional about the whole thing.

(something about being armed and polite  ???  =) )
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2010, 11:22:00 AM »
I had to go to two interviews in a federal building earlier this year (but didn't get the job  ;/ ) and they had the whole security thing.

But the US Marshalls were actually polite and professional about the whole thing.

(something about being armed and polite  ???  =) )

Did they touch your body at all?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2010, 12:39:18 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liviu_Librescu

Memory fades. I'm pretty sure we talked about that guy here too. The point remains, slightly altered. One guy resisted. Purely defensive and quite heroic. It is what leaders should do.  Two others were killed attempting to barricade their room doors. Several rooms were successfully barricaded and no one was killed. . Now what if policy had not restricted him or his adult students from carry? 32 killed, 25 wounded by one idiot. Defensive tactics like barricading didn't stop 30 people from being killed. Offense was unavailable and apparently not in anyone's mind. We're not ready for a Mumbai or Beslan. No one else, young, fit and at close range fought back????  The idiot killed two people several hours earlier and life on the campus went on as normal outside the crime scene tape? That is a peacetime mentality, dead people, no shooter and there is no mass alert?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2010, 01:29:15 PM »
Did they touch your body at all?

No, they just did the wand thing when the metal detector kept going off.

Apparently, there were metal stays in my knee brace.

The outfit (private contractor working in-house) said that once you get your ID badge, you can walk right through and ignore all the beeping.  So I guess I could carry whatever I wanted into there  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin