Author Topic: Big explosion in west texas, anyone there?  (Read 9247 times)

geronimotwo

• friend
Re: Big explosion in west texas, anyone there?
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2013, 08:59:16 AM »
holy cow,  makes me glad that our biggest industry is a sour cream plant.
The scene of the explosion will be treated like a crime scene until they can prove it was an industrial accident.

while they are not charging an individual, it does go to show our mental state post 911.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 09:09:04 AM by geronimotwo »
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2013, 09:03:11 AM »
They probably didn't know that it could explode like that.

I will confess that even if I had an idea it would explode, I would never have thought the blast would go out that far. That's nuts. They're what, a good quarter mile away?
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2013, 09:08:02 AM »
As a side note.

Who stops to take video of the BURNING FERTILIZER PLANT with their freaking KID in the car?

Idiots who have only managed to survive life because we as a society insist on cockblocking Darwin.

Believe you me, if a fertilizer, chlorine, or any number of other hazerdous structures catches afire you will see me leaving the area like a Kenyan fleeing a crocodile.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2013, 09:09:32 AM »
I will confess that even if I had an idea it would explode, I would never have thought the blast would go out that far. That's nuts. They're what, a good quarter mile away?

If somethimg like that catches on fire you want to be miles away.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2013, 09:15:59 AM »
Idiots who have only managed to survive life because we as a society insist on cockblocking Darwin.

Believe you me, if a fertilizer, chlorine, or any number of other hazerdous structures catches afire you will see me leaving the area like a Kenyan fleeing a crocodile.

i wonder how many people knew what was being manufactured there?  the planning board should be "wumped up side the head" for this.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2013, 09:18:40 AM »
They probably didn't know that it could explode like that.

I thought in a post-OKC paradigm that everyone knew fertilizer could go all asplodey.  =D

Well they know now.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2013, 09:20:09 AM »
i wonder how many people knew what was being manufactured there?  the planning board should be "wumped up side the head" for this.

While I agree about the plannimg if you dont know whats in your town as far as industry and so forth you have the situational awareness of a frickin rock.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2013, 10:18:30 AM »
Place is a little more than halfway between Austin and Dallas, making it a good hour and a half, maybe hour and 45 minutes drive north of where I'm at along I-35 - too far away to hear or feel the explosion from here.

News reports are sketchy, but earlier they were saying over 100 injured and "between 5 and 15" feared dead, with some VFD crew members "unaccounted for."

Overnight a south wind was keeping the smoke plume blowing north, but by 7 it was already changing direction as a line of storms and a cold front were coming through. Haven't seen an update for a couple of hours . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2013, 10:29:44 AM »
As a side note.

Who stops to take video of the BURNING FERTILIZER PLANT with their freaking KID in the car?
Just to be a little fair that guy is between a quarter and a half mile away. It does not scream I'm in danger to me.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2013, 10:35:30 AM »
While I agree about the plannimg if you dont know whats in your town as far as industry and so forth you have the situational awareness of a frickin rock.

BUT, BUT, BUT

Govt regulations stifle business. They need these jobs. Texas has to do everything it can to be the growth leader.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2013, 10:36:20 AM »
If the one in my town had caught fire, I'd have probably watched it...from the top of the mountain on the opposite side of the valley a good 10 miles away, and I'd have made sure I was standing near something substantial to duck behind. Did I mention that it made AN specifically for ANFO explosives? [tinfoil]
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2013, 10:42:05 AM »
Just to be a little fair that guy is between a quarter and a half mile away. It does not scream I'm in danger to me.

Really? It does to me. I work in an industrial area and make it a point to know what is in and the potential blast radius of all the stuff around me.

Maybe I'm projecting my knowledge of boomy things, but I really thought that everyone know that kinda of thing goes big when it goes.  This isn't the first fetilizer plant to go boom.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2013, 10:55:21 AM »

Same here.  Closest place that uses volatile chems in quantity are about 2 miles from the house.  Not worried because the quantity is small relative to say a fertilizer plant.

BUT, BUT, BUT

Govt regulations stifle business. They need these jobs. Texas has to do everything it can to be the growth leader.

No reason for gov't to step in here.  I would bet dollars to donuts the plant predates the surrounding structures.  Property owners knew of it and were OK with the risk.  And most will end up OK.  Some, not so much. 

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2013, 11:00:23 AM »
Anyone know about the Texas City explosion back in the day?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_City_Disaster

This right here is why you unass the AO anytime there is an industrial fire.  If AN or fertilizer is involved, you want to be several miles away.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2013, 11:09:50 AM »
There was a pretty good KB at a chemical plant near Waxahache a year or two ago.  Roasted a fire truck, IIRC.  Luckily it was outside of town.

I guess Camera Guy missed the news that day.  Potential for boom = GTFO.  I can't imagine living in the apartments across the street and not bailing at the first sign of smoke.  Drive to Waco, have dinner at Ninfa's, and hope the house is there when you get back.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2013, 11:12:00 AM »
I can't imagine living in the apartments across the street and not bailing at the first sign of smoke.

I can't imagine that there was anyone living in the apartments across the street after the blast.   =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2013, 11:39:47 AM »
Anyone know about the Texas City explosion back in the day?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_City_Disaster

This right here is why you unass the AO anytime there is an industrial fire.  If AN or fertilizer is involved, you want to be several miles away.

I have read about the Texas City Disaster.  Here is another scary one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_East_Ohio_Gas_explosion

TL ; DR  1944 LNG (Liquefied Natural Gas) tank leaks and the vapor gets into the sewer lines and mixes with air and sewer gas and finally ignites.  After the first explosion the onlookers return to their homes and there is a second explosion from another leaking tank leveled the tank farm and then the underground explosion continued.
However, the explosions and fires continued to occur, trapping many who had returned to what they thought was the safety of their own homes. Housewives who were at home suddenly found their homes engulfed in flame as the explosion traveled through the sewers and up through drains. The following day, Associated Press wire stories contained quotes from survivors, many of whom were at home cleaning in preparation for the coming Sabbath. Survivors said that within a split second after the explosion, their homes and clothes were on fire.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2013, 11:45:20 AM »
You know, if someone wanted to get a very large quantity of ammonium nitrate without all those pesky federal tracking issues, stealing a bunch then setting the plant on fire would be a pretty good way to do that.  [tinfoil]
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2013, 12:28:28 PM »
I'm about 30 miles as a crow flies. Heard it felt it and heard the echos. Didn't know what happened until it broke on the news.

Found out this am that two former coworkers are ok. They live in West and were assisting in the evac. of the nursing home. They were just outside the destruction zone when blew. Were up all night searching homes. As I understand the homes, nursing home and apartment complex had been evac before it blew.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 12:34:44 PM by p12 »

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2013, 12:33:17 PM »
the homes, nursing home and apartment complex had been evaced before it blew.

That is good!   =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2013, 12:42:14 PM »
That is good!   =)

Yes. And would explain the low casualty count.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2013, 12:44:12 PM »
Good indeed!

I looked at the aerial photo and watched the latest video (the one by the blue dumpster, not the one in the truck).  Its easy to spot on the map.  By my reckoning, that guy was less than a quarter mile away.  [popcorn]

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2013, 12:48:28 PM »

No reason for gov't to step in here.  I would bet dollars to donuts the plant predates the surrounding structures.  Property owners knew of it and were OK with the risk.  And most will end up OK.  Some, not so much.  

This.  You pays your money and youse takes your chances.  The .gov is not there to save you from your own ignorance and stupidity.  Anyone with half a brain can tell the difference between a chemical/fertilizer plant/refinery and a teddy bear factory.

P.S.  So, no reports of a white guy in hoodie driving away in a van screaming "Wolverines !!!"  ??
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 12:52:07 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2013, 12:54:26 PM »
This.  You pays your money and youse takes your chances.  The .gov is not there to save you from your own ignorance and stupidity.  Anyone with half a brain can tell the difference between a chemical/fertilizer plant/refinery and a teddy bear factory.

P.S.  So, no reports of a white guy in hoodie driving away in a van screaming "Wolverines !!!"  ??

In Texas, they scream "Armadillos !!!"   =D

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2013, 09:37:36 PM »
Correction of previous post.

Nursing home was mostly still occupied. They were in the process of moving them when it blew.

They were just lucky.